The Student Room Group

Newcastle University Masters Opinion

I study a masters at Newcastle university and I feel the staff etc don’t care at all about the students well being and try to make everyone down without sufficient feedback given in essays etc. I would love to know other peoples opinions on their current/past time as a masters student at Newcastle (you don’t need to say which masters you did)
I am studying a PG at Newcastle right now. Honestly, I feel the same way. I had one module where the feedback was really unclear. When I did ask for more feedback, no reply was given or very generic at best. Rubric is also a bit vague as well in many cases with some of the scores being unnecessarily hard for no apparent reason? I mean I’m starting to get a hang on what they look out for but it was certainly very discouraging to find yourself working your ass off and pour your heart into an assignment only to be given a Pass in the end. But hey, maybe I’m just not smart enough for all of this.

Don’t get me wrong, I have interacted with my own fair share of exceptionally helpful faculty and staff but for the most part I did feel like many of the lecturers weren’t as engaging as I thought they would. The teaching is also a bit underwhelming and I didn’t necessarily feel like the programme course helped me in preparing for my project. There could’ve been more to be done on the teaching side of things definitely but then again the argument is “Masters is mostly self taught” so I guess no one is to blame.

I’m here on overseas fees so I’m really quite disappointed considering the amount of money I had to spend on both tuition, visa, and living costs just to be here. Obviously my experience was specific for the course I’m doing and even then I trust people would have different experiences even if they were doing the same course as I did.

Sorry just needed to rant, since I’m almost at the end of my dissertation and I seriously felt like all the good things about this entire year has ironically happened outside of the programme.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending