The Student Room Group

Do Universities even care about extenuating circumstances?

Just what the title says. I didnt manage to get my grades and resat to not do well again this year as my attendence was barely 50% in both years for a couple reasons I dont want to disclose online. I have evidence and proof of stuff that was happening but Unis didnt even ask about them before they instantly denied me. This is through clearing and for courses that I was one grade off in one subject. Even when first applying as a care experienced student, I felt like unis really undermined what it meant and werent sticking to what was on their own pages regarding it. Sorry if it sounds like a rant but I just want to know after believing all this time whether it was going to at least be considered
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by waterpot435
Just what the title says. I didnt manage to get my grades and resat to not do well again this year as my attendence was barely 50% in both years for a couple reasons I dont want to disclose online. I have evidence and proof of stuff that was happening but Unis didnt even ask about them before they instantly denied me. This is through clearing and for courses that I was one grade off in one subject. Even when first applying as a care experienced student, I felt like unis really undermined what it meant and werent sticking to what was on their own pages regarding it. Sorry if it sounds like a rant but I just want to know after believing all this time whether it was going to at least be considered

If the Uni filled the course with those who have met their grades - and therefore there were no 'spaces' - they will not have been able to take you regardless of any mitigating circumstances. No Uni can promise you a place if you don't meet your offer - completing the paperwork is never a guarantee of a place at any Uni.

Think about resits and reapplying - or did you get your Insurance?
In clearing there’s not generally much consideration of ECs unfortunately. Things move too quickly and too many applicants have “sob stories” with no evidence to back them up. ECs need to be sent to universities long before results and even then they aren’t a free pass to get in with very low grades.

I suspect the biggest issue you’re facing is that poor marks and attendance over 2 sets of results isn’t easy to overlook. Unless your situation means that the attendance and performance issues would be resolved by starting university then they aren’t going to want to risk admitting you onto a degree they expect you to fail on. That’s not fair on you and it’s not good for them.

What results did you get and what are you hoping to study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending