The Student Room Group

AS OCR History - British History Enquiries help needed

Hi guys,
I am in year 13 now, retaking AS level British History, having only achieved 63/100. In Russian on the other hand, I achieved 77. The exam board is OCR, and the British History paper code is F693/02.

Contrary to the majority of my year, I found, and find, the British paper very hard. I know a lot of content and I admit that last year I spent too much time revising content.

Instead, the course requires technique. It is source based, and of course then analysis based. I do not know this technique.

Could someone on here help explain how to answer the exam questions. If not, simply link resources from the internet. I want to know wow to structure them, how to analyse the sources. How to answer them to an A grade - or 90%.

I need a high grade in the retake.

Thank you very much
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi there. I'm on a different board to you, but I did source work on my AS syllabus and the OCR paper looks quite similar so hopefully I can help a bit, but don't take what I say to necessarily be completely correct or what your teachers are looking for.

I'm looking at this question from the specimen paper: 'Study Sources A and B. Compare these Sources as evidence for differing attitudes towards women being involved in politics during this period.' You can find it here:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/77830-unit-f963-british-history-enquiries-option-b-modern-1815-to-1945-specimen.pdf

And the markscheme here:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/69233-unit-f963-british-history-enquiries-option-b-modern-1815-to-1945-specimen.pdf

Here's how I'd approach this type of question:

1. Read both sources and underline points which are particularly useful to answering the question. The underlying doesn't have to be very accurate, as you will end up rereading the sources as you answer the question, anyway.

2. Draw out a quick table with similarities between sources A and B and differences on the other. For example, with this one, it appears both sources agree women have a certain role. However, they disagree about whether this role is useful in government.

3. Now begin writing the answer. Let's look at what the structure of it will be. There are three main, interlinked points the question is targeting: content, provenance and similarities and differences.
Here is my suggested structure for the answer:

Intro- Mine basically always used to say there are some similarities and some differences between the two sources

Similarities

Differences

Provenance

Conc - Summarize your main points and say whether they are more similar or more different in their attitudes towards women in politics.

Alternatively, depending on how much they're looking for with this question, you could do it by themes:

Intro

Theme 1
- Similarity between the sources on this theme, with evidence from your own knowledge and evaluation from provenance
- Difference between the sources on this theme, with evidence from your own knowledge and evaluation from provenance

Theme 2
- Similarity etc
- Difference etc

Theme 3
- Similarity etc
- Difference etc

Theme 4...

Conc

The themes could be few but detailed, or many but less detailed. I'm not entirely sure what OCR are looking for. However, remember with each similarity and difference you mention, whatever structure you should use, you should also support it with evidence from the content you have learnt, then explain how this evidence answers the question and finally evaluate with provenance. For example, with source B, you could mention another example of where the NUWSS have used their perceived differences between men and women to champion their cause, so both sides emphasizes gender differences whether they were arguing for or against female suffrage. Then, you can evaluateThen you could say, perhaps, that the view of Millicent Fawcett does not necessary represent the view of the NUWSS in 1909 as the Suffragettes later broke off from the organisation and had different reasons views for whether women should be involved in politics.

This structure should be starting to look like the 'PEEE' you use in non-source questions. Technically, you can also swap round evidence and provenance: using evidence to go against the initial point you make, or provenance to support it, but I find when you're trying to get the structure right in your head, and this is crucial, my above explanation is easier.

I hope this helps! Source questions are a pain to structure, but once you get the hang of it, there's less content to learn than for non-sources, so you have that advantage. :flower2: If this was helpful, I can have a look at b), but again I can't guarantee it will be relevant for your exam board.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much!

Very Useful. How did you do at AS? I think I'll use the theme structure, as that seems to be similar to what I have been doing anyway!

Thanks again :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you so much!

Very Useful. How did you do at AS? I think I'll use the theme structure, as that seems to be similar to what I have been doing anyway!

Thanks again

You're welcome! At AS I got an A - 89 UMS on the non-source paper and 93 on the source one, which I found a bit odd, as I'd revised waaaay more for the non-source one. :/ Does the second question make more sense now?
Reply 4
Hey I know this thread is a little old now but I just thought it a coincidence in our positions. I also got a disappointing 63ums on this paper but 76ums on the Russian one! Likewise, I'm hoping for like 84+ums on the resit. Just wanted to say good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Thank you! Good luck to you too
i got 86Ums on the american one and only 55 on the british one. I found your comment not that helpful because our British history enquiries questions dont ask specifically for similarities and differences. also can u give me any advice because im resitting in a month and i really have no idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending