The Student Room Group

The Worst Players ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Debdener
Kleberson...
Actually scrap that.

Fabianski.

Why do people keep on going on about players who were bad for a single club?

Kleberson flopped for Man Utd, sure, but for every other club in his career he was very good, he was part of a damn World Cup winning side, and not just as a bit part either, he started, and played very well in, all of the games in the knockout stages.

Hardly a terrible player.

It's like Veron, sure he didn't find his feet at Man Utd, but he was still easily one of the best players of his generation.

One bad move doesn't make a player bad.
Reply 81
Anyone who says Heskey....will be hunted down....by Heskey.:dance:
In terms of worst managerial decisions, Terry Venables would regularly play Paul Okon (average at best) ahead of Olivier Dacourt (brilliant at best)in the same midfield role.
Reply 83
Original post by Wattsy
There is one goalkeeper who's record is worse in ManchesterUnited History... Massimo Taibi! His badness is the stuff of folklore.

Juan Sebastian Veron also springs to mind, he was just terrible.

I know it's been touched on but I just want to develop, there's a difference between a poor signing and a poor player. Veron was an international class midfielder, but couldn't adapt to the English game which was faster paced and where he didn't get as much space as in Italy. He was also playing in a team that already had an established midfield partnership in Scholes and Keane and SAF couldn't quite incorporate him into a new system. He started his time at OT well and was a threat from free kicks (though we had Beckham anywway) and did score in that 5-3 comeback against Spurs.

He put some of his best performances in Champions League games, which probably tells you something.

He was known of as one the best midfielders on the continent when signed. There have been far, far worse players than Veron who have pulled on a Manchester United shirt in recent years. The likes of David Bellion, Djemba Djemba (had a good debut though), Liam Miller and Bebe...thought admittedly all of these were young(ish) players at the time.

Oh, and Kleberson wasn't that bad a player. He's a world cup winner, and wasn't a water carrier. He just didn't do well at OT, after a decent (albeit injury stricken) start.

I also don't think Prunier (1995-1996 season iirc) was all that bad. He was just unfortunate in that he was rushed into the team during an injury crises (with no other recognised CB available and Schmeichel also injured iirc). He played two games, and had a really good debut. So that only leaves one bad game :p: He was perhaps a bit past his best by then anyway.

Original post by Wattsy

In some ways a bit like Diego Forlan then, absolutely abysmal at United but strong overseas. I have actually been at Old Trafford when Forlan scored though and you could see something was there but he just failed to show it most (99%) of the time!

I am also going to defend Forlan here.

Forlan's problem was that he was never given regular first team appearences, as SAF was only playing with the one striker (usually) and we had van Nistelrooy. When RvN was injured, and Forlan had a run of a few games, he showed his ability. Remember that volley against Rangers in Septmeber(?) 2003? That was during a run of four consecutive games when he scored, I think. Then van Nistelrooy recovered from his injury and Forlan was sent back onto the bench.

How can you expect him to score when he usually only came on for the final minutes of a game?

Forlan might not have had a great time at OT but the goals he did score were invariably very important. We may not have won the league in 2002-2003 without the few goals he did score.

It might have been different had he gone to Middlesbrough. An inferior team, yes, but he would have got regular starts.

Original post by Aramiss18

It's hard to narrow it down to just one but the likes of Obertan and Gervinho always gripe me. Remove the pace and what have you got? Nada.

To be fair Obertain seems to be working on his game and starting to get that final product. He hasn't played badly for Newcastle in a couple of Europa League games this season and had some good moments against Arsenal recently. He's still relatively young so I'd give him a couple more years before making judgement. I can't see him being any better than a mediocre PL player, however.
Original post by Narcissist
In terms of worst managerial decisions, Terry Venables would regularly play Paul Okon (average at best) ahead of Olivier Dacourt (brilliant at best)in the same midfield role.

Seem to remember Terry V bringing in about 8 unknown loan players from abroad to replace the likes of Ferdinand and Kewell. Leeds were always going down with that 'plan'

Sakho?? Raul Bravo?? That Leeds team had some contenders as well...
Original post by Zürich
Seem to remember Terry V bringing in about 8 unknown loan players from abroad to replace the likes of Ferdinand and Kewell. Leeds were always going down with that 'plan'

Sakho was really lively! On his debut. Then did nothing for the rest of his stay.

I'm sure some other Leeds fans will remember Wesley Boyle as being on the subs bench for about 6 consecutive years only ever making one appearance!
Original post by Narcissist
Sakho was really lively! On his debut. Then did nothing for the rest of his stay.

I'm sure some other Leeds fans will remember Wesley Boyle as being on the subs bench for about 6 consecutive years only ever making one appearance!

Michael Duberry is another name coming into my head...
Reply 87
Original post by River85
I know it's been touched on but I just want to develop, there's a difference between a poor signing and a poor player. Veron was an international class midfielder, but couldn't adapt to the English game which was faster paced and where he didn't get as much space as in Italy. He was also playing in a team that already had an established midfield partnership in Scholes and Keane and SAF couldn't quite incorporate him into a new system. He started his time at OT well and was a threat from free kicks (though we had Beckham anywway) and did score in that 5-3 comeback against Spurs.

He put some of his best performances in Champions League games, which probably tells you something.

He was known of as one the best midfielders on the continent when signed. There have been far, far worse players than Veron who have pulled on a Manchester United shirt in recent years. The likes of David Bellion, Djemba Djemba (had a good debut though), Liam Miller and Bebe...thought admittedly all of these were young(ish) players at the time.

Oh, and Kleberson wasn't that bad a player. He's a world cup winner, and wasn't a water carrier. He just didn't do well at OT, after a decent (albeit injury stricken) start.

I also don't think Prunier (1995-1996 season iirc) was all that bad. He was just unfortunate in that he was rushed into the team during an injury crises (with no other recognised CB available and Schmeichel also injured iirc). He played two games, and had a really good debut. So that only leaves one bad game :p: He was perhaps a bit past his best by then anyway.

I am also going to defend Forlan here.

Forlan's problem was that he was never given regular first team appearences, as SAF was only playing with the one striker (usually) and we had van Nistelrooy. When RvN was injured, and Forlan had a run of a few games, he showed his ability. Remember that volley against Rangers in Septmeber(?) 2003? That was during a run of four consecutive games when he scored, I think. Then van Nistelrooy recovered from his injury and Forlan was sent back onto the bench.

How can you expect him to score when he usually only came on for the final minutes of a game?

Forlan might not have had a great time at OT but the goals he did score were invariably very important. We may not have won the league in 2002-2003 without the few goals he did score.

It might have been different had he gone to Middlesbrough. An inferior team, yes, but he would have got regular starts.

To be fair Obertain seems to be working on his game and starting to get that final product. He hasn't played badly for Newcastle in a couple of Europa League games this season and had some good moments against Arsenal recently. He's still relatively young so I'd give him a couple more years before making judgement. I can't see him being any better than a mediocre PL player, however.

Read the edit.
Your thoughts on Fabianski?
Reply 88
Mido , Benni McCarthy , Ilan.
Reply 89
Obertan.
Reply 90
BEBE.
Robert Green.
Arshavin in the last 2 seasons?
Original post by hbk4894
Mido , Benni McCarthy , Ilan.

McCarthy was a pretty decent player whose career took a very sudden sharp downward spiral.
Original post by Zürich

Jody Morris
Zoumana Camara
Didier Domi
Lamine Sakho
Jermaine Pennant
Salomon Olembe
Roque Junior
Cyril Chapuis
Steven Caldwell

Thats a shocking list.
Reply 95
salif diao...
Andre Santos, by a country mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
My idea of the worst player - Drewe Broughton. Former Franchise Player. Doesn't score goals very often and has no talent what so ever.

In his 459 games (since 1996) - he has scored just 83 goals.

Lol, he played for my team (well ex-team) Rushden for a couple of years and while he was by no means our worst ever player (we had some absolute donkeys over the years), I've no idea how he stayed in the FL so long afterwards, seem to remember when we were relegated to the conference, him saying how he was 'not a conference player' and left, but he was a pretty poor excuse a FL player and yeah his goalscoring record is pretty terrible, though he was more of a target man than a goalscorer.

And I notice someone mentioned Trevor Benjamin a few pages back, he played for us as well, hasn't played over 50 games for one club for over 10 years and is still amazingly still sort of going, his last club was at Morpeth Town, a level 10 team lol.
Reply 98
Michael Tonge.
steven sidwell. complete gash

Quick Reply

Latest