The Student Room Group

How much does backpacking cost around Europe for 3 months?

My budget is £1000 and i want to travel by train. Is this enough and will i be able to go everywhere?
i want to go 5-6 cities.
You might have trouble. A lot of hostels in European cities are around £15-25 a night. You're there for 90 nights, and even being optimistic, 15*90=1350. On top of that, you need to factor in train fares, food, insurance, drinks, laundry costs, possibly travel to and from your destinations and the uk. Maybe it's more feasible if you couch-surf, but it doesn't look easy to me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Not a chance, if you plan to sleep in hostels and travel by train, including food and a bit of spending money in your tourist destinations, I would look at a conservative 2.4k.
Reply 3
same for that price your looking at 1 month or less I had friends that did eastern europe and it cost them like 1.5K when i looked into it it was about the same when you planning on going?
You need to break it down
- hostels (see hostelbooker.com for prices)
- train fares (NB you can't use an interrail ticket in your home country)
- insurance
- food
- entry to visitor attractions
- souvenirs
- nights out
- miscellaneous

You could consider doing some work in return for bed and board along the way, to reduce costs - check out www.workaway.info and www.helpx.net
Reply 5
yeah realistically you want to be looking closer to the grand a month mark, although you can work with less.

Quick Reply

Latest