The Student Room Group

The KFC Thread

Looking at the Mcdonalds, Tesco, Next etc threads, I'm hoping we can get something similiar for KFC, so if you have any experiences or questions youd like to ask that'd be great.

P.S. to anybody thinking about joining KFC, my clothes have never come home smelling of chicken, as popular belifief would have it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by F257
Looking at the Mcdonalds, Tesco, Next etc threads, I'm hoping we can get something similiar for KFC, so if you have any experiences or questions youd like to ask that'd be great.

P.S. to anybody thinking about joining KFC, my clothes have never come home smelling of chicken, as popular belifief would have it :smile:

you must be really lucky then, as my shirt is always stinking of grease when i get home!
Reply 2
Original post by deedee123
you must be really lucky then, as my shirt is always stinking of grease when i get home!

Lol I tendto work n the burger stations more than anything :tongue: When I worked on the fry station more, I'll admit I think that made me greasy (especially my fingers yuck!)
Original post by F257

Same - shower after a shift is a must! :tongue:
I've noticed that, recently, an awful amount of customers have just taken to vaguely pointing at the board behind me and proclaiming that they "want that one", which gets severely irritating after a while! :rant: Does it annoy anyone else? :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by deadlypepperpot
Same - shower after a shift is a must! :tongue:
I've noticed that, recently, an awful amount of customers have just taken to vaguely pointing at the board behind me and proclaiming that they "want that one", which gets severely irritating after a while! :rant: Does it annoy anyone else? :tongue:

Ill admit I ave never heard of that happen lol...
Original post by F257
Ill admit I ave never heard of that happen lol...

Haha, must just be my area then :tongue:
Reply 6
This thread should get some love! Is there any other KFC workers here? I just got my job a couple of weeks ago! I start in October :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thank god i don't work here anymore, worst place ever.
Reply 8
Thank god i don't work here anymore, worst place ever.

Amen. They truly are an abomination of an employer, the customers are god-awful and trying to talk to managers about anything is about as productive as smashing your head off a brick wall. Repeatedly.

I'm a tolerant person, especially compared to some people I used to work with there, and I'd often find on multiple occaisions during a shift I'd have to take a couple of minutes just to calm down so I wouldn't blow up at someone. Seriously.

The hourly rate doesn't even come close to balancing out all the work you have to do and the conditions in which you have to do it. Never, in my entire life, have I witnessed so many things wrong in one place.

The best part is the Employee Handbook. That thing is hilarious, I have to laugh every time I look at the pictures of the models they've employed to "work" while they had photographers in.

To quote an ex-colleague of mine:

"There's only one thing that works to its full capacity in this place, and that's us"

Avoid KFC if possible. If you are going to work for them, stick at it until it looks alright on a CV, there's plenty of customer service experience you can take from KFC to tell a better employer in an interview situation, even if you're telling them how it should have been in the glossy Employee Handbook.

Your mileage probably won't vary.
Reply 9
Original post by JosephNV
x .

Agree completely. Managers are completely useless and they actually don't care about anything but making money. I'm not saying other companies really care but KFC couldn't give one **** about you, absolutely no respect what so ever. Horrible, cheap uncomfortable uniforms, unreliable working hours, **** pay.

They used to try and push you to "up sell" stuff which used to make me laugh- why the **** would i go out my way to do a brilliant job so that YOU get a bonus and i still get £4 p/h either way? Must be something in the water they drink, deluded people...

Horrible, horrible place to work, handing in my notice was the best day of my life. Really gives you insight into the rock bottom of the employment ladder though and pushed me to work harder in school so i'd never have to work somewhere like that ever again.

To be fair the actual team members i worked with were all great, made some great friends there. Still not enough to make me not hate it though :tongue:

And the STENCH of grease...gagworthy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Looking forward to starting now... Thanks :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by kmcg97
Looking forward to starting now... Thanks :confused:

Don't worry too much, all big companies like KFC will have people who hate(d) working there. A lot of the time it's the store itself rather than the company.
Reply 12
Original post by StacFace
Don't worry too much, all big companies like KFC will have people who hate(d) working there. A lot of the time it's the store itself rather than the company.

yeah its the same as any other workplace really; it's the people that really make it. It can be the worlds sh****test job, but if the people you work with are fantastic then you probably wouldnt give a toss . And that's espcially true for the managment team; you can love working with all the other staff , but if the managers are making everyone miserable then its going to be a miserable place to work

of course there are certain things that make kfc a bit of a tougher place to work (imho) than ,say, McDonalds. For one thing fresh O/R takes about 20 mins by procedure to cook, mini brest fillets about 6, hotwings about 8. And thats not including the breading either. Even popcorn takes like 3 mins. And so telling customers first they're going to be waiting 20 minutes for their bucket and then telling them its going to be an extra 8 minutes once the chicken is up because someone forgot to reserve some hotwings for that bucket is always fun :biggrin: .

So when you hit an unexpected rush and the cooks havent made enough product, you're basically left with a lot of angry customers who just dont understand that our stuff takes longer to make than McDonalds and so are wondering why they aint got no food .

For another thing , the till system is something to be desired. At my store, we sell both apple tango and oragne, but there is only one generic 'tango' button and so if you're packign for another person, trying to work out what Tango flavour the customer wanted is something of a guess at best. Likewise there is a button for BBQ , mayo, salsa and ketchup sauce, but anything else - supercharger, sweet chilli, cajun etc - the tiller will have to run to the burger person bascially and tell them they want ths, but not this etc. Even more boggling is that there is no organsaton to the pack system, so if you have multiple burgers and one of them is no lettuce , often the tiler will have to tell the burger person, or the burger person wil have to ask the tiller .

but as people point out , its the people really that make it, and you get used to the oddities , though it is a bit drainingin all honesty
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Thanks for your honesty and advice!! It's cool to see different perspectives on it. :smile:
Reply 14
Ok, here is me who works for kfc it's gonna be my first month. Since I have started.
I have lost my job from Tesco because of small silly mistake and I don't want to say it!
Job was easy, friendly ppl but sometimes 2face ppl too.
I was working 9 hrs a day never get tired unless if I was doing double shift.
Times in Tesco moving fast and I have enjoyed every minute.
Now kfc.😥😥😤😤😷😷
I work here since 1 of September.
Never seen place like this.
Horrible, disgusting and work its really hard. Staff doesn't speak english and speaking Pakistani. I am the only who
Doesn't speak them language!
I am working on kitchen and my job is cleaning chicken, making side orders like a bean sweet corn.
And also breading chicken if sometimes they allow me. They think we are making Rocket science👽
From Thursday I had bad Backache
And yesterday again.
When I am middle of work, they asking me to make some wings!
You finish that, ask you bring zinger, mini, BBQ!
If I had any Choice I would quit now!
So tired and fed up.
Reply 15
Does kfc do drug tests?
Reply 16
Nope - if you come in obviously high or whatever then you'll be let go.
Reply 17
What do the saucy bites come in? A bucket, the box meal and by themselves... anything else?
Reply 18
Original post by kmcg97
What do the saucy bites come in? A bucket, the box meal and by themselves... anything else?

There's also the 4 piece and 8 piece meals where it's just the bites, fries and drink.
Reply 19
Original post by StacFace
There's also the 4 piece and 8 piece meals where it's just the bites, fries and drink.

Thanks! I can never tell the difference on the screen when i'm packing them. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending