The Student Room Group

Which University is best for Law LLB?

I understand the decision has to be mine, and i have done a great deal of research, but i thought it would be a good idea to ask the users of this site as it can't hurt.

I've applied to study a three year LLB law degree at the following universities:

1. University of York - AAA
2. Newcastle University - AAA
3. University of Reading - AAB
4. University of Bristol - AAA

I've received a conditional offer from York, Reading and Newcastle, so just awaiting a response from Bristol.

In terms of reputation, employment prospects and overall teaching quality, which would the best offer to accept?

My aim is to gain employment in the private legal sector and to what i understand, the university one qualifies from is an important factor.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,?
Reply 1
In order of prestige / rep (in my opinion - based on league tables etc.)

Bristol
York
Newcastle
Reading
Reply 2
Original post by ed-
In order of prestige / rep (in my opinion - based on league tables etc.)

Bristol
York
Newcastle
Reading

This^^. But in all honesty, the difference between Bristol, York and Newcastle is so small its almost negligible. I would base your decision on what course, town, 'feel' of the university you prefer, etc. For example York has a very non-traditional approach to teaching law through 'problem based learning'. Newcastle and Bristol are far more traditional in their approach (Bristol especially so I hear). Equally Bristol probably has the most varied nightlife of the 3. York probably the least varied. Try and weigh the unis up with things like this in mind. They will all give you good prospects at the end of your degree, which is the main thing. For me, I loved York's approach to teaching law and I didn't want too much of a party town because I know I would just party all night, every night, and never do anything productive!
Reply 3
Original post by ric92:)
This^^. But in all honesty, the difference between Bristol, York and Newcastle is so small its almost negligible. I would base your decision on what course, town, 'feel' of the university you prefer, etc. For example York has a very non-traditional approach to teaching law through 'problem based learning'. Newcastle and Bristol are far more traditional in their approach (Bristol especially so I hear). Equally Bristol probably has the most varied nightlife of the 3. York probably the least varied. Try and weigh the unis up with things like this in mind. They will all give you good prospects at the end of your degree, which is the main thing. For me, I loved York's approach to teaching law and I didn't want too much of a party town because I know I would just party all night, every night, and never do anything productive!

Yeah I completely agree. I've spent ages looking at league tables trying to figure out whether I'd be best going to York or Exeter.
But at the end of the day difference in reputation is negligible and completely subjective anyway. So when it comes down to decisions where reputation is close like that you just need to base your decision on where you could see yourself spending the next 3 years and which course you'd most enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending