The Student Room Group

Law

What are the topics covered in Law and best questions to ask at an Open Day?
Reply 1
each law course differs slightly so its best to check each university's website and check their individual course structures. some of the questions i asked were things like what other unis they applied to and why they chose this uni to do law (if talking to students), what optional modules they recommend you take/which ones tend to be the easier/harder ones (i asked this in relation to becoming a solicitor and if there are any modules that would benefit me more with things like the sqe and going into commercial law). what law firms does the uni have strong connections with. you'll also want to ask students what they don't like about the course and i get that its an event to promote the uni, they'll give u semi-honest answers. for this reason i'd also reccomend asking students outside of open days too
Original post by Pokemon-1104

Hiya

It's true that every uni will offer different modules you can choose from, but there are 7 modules that will be taught at every uni since they're required for a qualifying law degree. These include public law, tort, criminal, land, trusts, contract and constitutional law. The others should be easily available on each uni's website and those for Durham are listed here.

As for questions to ask on an open day, I'd say give priority to engaging with the students over professors. Professors can still try to gloss over things but students tend to give a more real account of what it's like to study there. Ask about how they've found their general student experience, what it's like to study the course- both positive and negative aspects, advice on personal statement- what to include and not to include, career prospects and how the uni supports you in that, societies, accommodation- costs, facilities and if it is guaranteed, part-time jobs, scholarships, things that students do in the city. This is a non-exhaustive list so you can always add more questions, but these are the ones that pop to my head right now.

-Himieka
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Pokemon-1104

Hi!

It depends on what type of law course you study- like at the University of Law we offer just LLB Law, LLB Law with Business, LLB Law with Government and Politics, etc. My advice would be to go on the university's website see what courses they offer, what modules you would study. Once you have a brief idea of what courses you might want to study and have any questions regarding those courses then when you go to the open day then you can ask them- some examples of question you could ask are: what is the application process, what are the required qualifications, what is the student experience like this university, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending