74/100.. Hello retake! Haha hope everyone is happy with their results :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by erniiee
Woo! 100 UMS in Biol4!

Wow- well done!

Original post by Rebeelouise
74/100.. Hello retake! Haha hope everyone is happy with their results :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I got 68/100! I can still get a B with this ums (an A is practically unachievable) so I might just stick with it :colondollar: I'm too scared in case it affects my other grades by revising the content so much. Ah nevermind, I'll survive! :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by evan almighty
Oh wow! That is amazing…well done, A* looks very realistic :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :biggrin: yea I'm praying my Biology is an A*, as I need that to meet my first choice's conditions!

Original post by feelinginfinite
Wow- well done!

I got 68/100! I can still get a B with this ums (an A is practically unachievable) so I might just stick with it :colondollar: I'm too scared in case it affects my other grades by revising the content so much. Ah nevermind, I'll survive! :smile:

Thank you. 68 is really close to 70 - have you thought about a remark? It may go up by that few UMS needed!
Original post by erniiee
Thank you :biggrin: yea I'm praying my Biology is an A*, as I need that to meet my first choice's conditions!

Thank you. 68 is really close to 70 - have you thought about a remark? It may go up by that few UMS needed!

Well I hope you meet your conditions then! (You and Mocking_Bird were ridiculously smart and helpful on the BIOL4 thread so I'm sure you'll manage it! :rolleyes: ) I'm going to ask my teacher what he thinks too- not sure whether it's too risky in case it goes down more ums :tongue:
94/100 ums for biology unit 4 , i am so happy because i though i woulod only scrap an B :smile:

Why neg.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 105
I got 76/100 FOR BIO 4 but I think I will resit biology unit 1 because its much easier to bring the UMS up on that one...what do you guys think?
Reply 106
Well I hope you meet your conditions then! (You and Mocking_Bird were ridiculously smart and helpful on the BIOL4 thread so I'm sure you'll manage it! :rolleyes: ) I'm going to ask my teacher what he thinks too- not sure whether it's too risky in case it goes down more ums :tongue:

Aw thanks :tongue: yea that is true! Good luck whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by kdk
Both of them please ( or any of them!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know which one of the isa you are looking so i attached the link to both mark schemes. Sorry, i dont have qp. Hope this helps.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0YnNoc2Jpb2xvZ3l8Z3g6MjFkZWQ3ZTE2YmE4NjQ5Ng

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnx0YnNoc2Jpb2xvZ3l8Z3g6MjYxOTc5ODI2OThmMzkxMg
Reply 108
96/100 for Bio 4, was not expecting that ****ing hell
Got a mid-A

probably going to go for the A*, don't know if I'm doing the right thing.
Reply 110
90/100 in Biol4 - the A* is still on - get in there. lol, i'm probably going to have to retake Biol1 though -.-
Reply 111
I dont understand how you can get an A* in bio, i got 96/100 in bio 4 but how can anyone get an A* in the ISA? That is, if like myself, you got to a school where they dont cheat.
Original post by teen1234
I dont understand how you can get an A* in bio, i got 96/100 in bio 4 but how can anyone get an A* in the ISA? That is, if like myself, you got to a school where they dont cheat.

90% average over all the A2 units, so you can drop a few in the ISA as long as you make up for it in biol4/5.
Reply 113
Original post by Mocking_bird
90% average over all the A2 units, so you can drop a few in the ISA as long as you make up for it in biol4/5.

You have to get at LEAST 50 ums in the isa to stand a chance, I doubt i can get that
Homework for everyone :P

I did the june 2012 paper and will be resitting this year. Just for fun i thought it might help people if i put up the essay I wrote and you all try to say what mark you would give it. I'll tell you after what it actually got. Thought it might help you get a better understanding of how the essays are marked, so here it is:

The Importance of shapes fitting together in cells and organisms

There are many molecules within cells and organisms that must have complimentary shapes that fit together in order for them to carry out their function.
One type of molecule for which this is extremely important is enzymes. There are two models that demonstrate how this may work, the first of which is the lock and key model in which the substrate and enzyme binding site have complimentary shapes so that the substrate or subtrates fit perfectly into the enzyme, which joins or separates them. The second model, the induced fit model, is similar, however the enzyme moulds its shape to match the substrate.
There are many processes in which it is important that these shapes fit, for example DNA helicase, RNA polymerase and DNA polymerase must all have the correct shape in order for DNA strands to separate, mRNA to form and DNA to then rejoin during polypeptide synthesis. During polypeptide synthesis it is also important that Amino acyl RNA synthetase fits together with an amino acid and tRNA molecule in order to join them to form an amino acyl tRNA molecule, then for yet another enzyme to help form peptide bonds between amino acids.
Another enzyme for which it is very important to have the correct shape is caspase. Caspases are involved in cell apoptosis, in which a cell kills itself. This usually happens after a cell reaches its hayflick limit, the limit in number of times it can divide, and becomes senescent. However, if the P53 gene, a tumour suppressor gene, becomes mutated, these caspases may form with a different tertiary structure, meaning that the cell will not undergo apoptosis and will continue to divide uncontrollably, resulting in a tumour.
Yet another occasion in which enzymes and substrates must fit together is during digestion, in which maltase is required to break substances down into simple carbohydrates required in respiration. If lactase is an incorrect shape due to mutation, this can result in lactose intolerance, in which lactose cannot be digested.
Enzymes however are not the only molecules for which it is important for shapes to fit together, another being antigens and antibodies. When a bacteria enters the body it has antigens on its surface that are recognised by the white blood cells. B-Lymphocytes, with the help of T-Helper lymphocytes, produce antibodies with shapes complimentary that of the antigens, causing them to bind together. These antigens may then cause the antigens to join ready to be engulfed by a phagocyte, may cause lysis in which the cell membrane breaks, or may neutralise the toxins produced by the bacteria. The antibodies can however also attack some of the bodies own cells, known as an autoimmune disease, which can result in problems such as diabetes.
Another two molecules whose shapes must fit together are hormones and receptors, which join to form a hormone receptor complex, stimulating a chemical change within a cell, known as the second messenger model. If the receptor loses its receptiveness it can cause diseases such as type 2 diabetes where the insulin receptors and insulin can no longer form a complex.
It is also important that the shapes of red blood cells and oxygen can fit together, so that oxygen can be carried to cells for respiration. This happens due to the biconcave structure of red blood cells which means it can associate with two molecules of oxygen.
Actin and Myosin must also fit together during the sliding filament mechanism of muscle contraction, in which the myosin head fits into the actin binding site and pulls it along, using ATPase to hydrolyse the ATP, providing energy.
If a gene is not expressed it is due to an inhibitor attached to the transcriptional fact, whose shape must fit perfectly. However, if there is an oestrogen receptor, that's shape will fit an oestrogen molecule, oestrogen can bind to it, changing the shape and releasing the inhibitor.
In conclusion, within cells and organisms the shapes of different substances have an extremely important link to their function, and even a slight change in shape can have a very significant effect on the cell, or organism as a whole.

So, what do you think it should get for:

Scientific content (out of 16)
Breadth of knowledge (out of 3)
Relevance (out of 3)
Quality of written communication (out of 3)
Original post by Mocking_bird

do you have any advice about the HSW questions? or better yet, do you have a pack of them for bio 2-5 in your bag of microsoft word goodies??
x
Wow- well done!

I need AAA for medicine!
So definitely a retake! But I am feeling so motivated right now! So I'm gonna take advantage and go all out!
I need AAA for medicine!
So definitely a retake! But I am feeling so motivated right now! So I'm gonna take advantage and go all out!

HEY!

Did you get any med offers lately or are you still waiting :biggrin:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
HEY!

Did you get any med offers lately or are you still waiting :biggrin:

Hey you!
Still waiting?! you?
Hey you!
Still waiting?! you?

Still waiting. :biggrin:

Hopefully its good news for us!! :smile: