The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by master y
What sort of stuff can you talk about importance of proteins?
I cant think of:
-Enzymres (eg. resp & photo)
- Immunity
-Some hormones
-muscle contraction

what else? Thanks

Collogen(out of specifcation)

and a number of other hormones thyroxine/renin ect. Think thats most of it.

Hormones will cover 3/4 points!
Original post by feelinginfinite
Can someone talk some sense in to me please? I'm usually pretty good at revising, on track to get a B in biology (only need to get about 60 raw marks/ 75ums to get it), but with so many other exams I've put biology revision off for over a week now and spent time revising the others :confused:

How long would it take to cover section 9 - 16 in detail, as well as doing 2 past papers? My last exam before biology is the 7th so I'd have 10 days... Is that enough or should I revise sooner (despite having an exam on Monday so should be revising for that). I'm so stuck with all this stress :confused:

Ten days of full biology revesion is more than enough..... its just getting your head around all the theroy... there isnt much application questions soo just make sure you understand and can recall everything
Original post by lifeisgood2012
Ten days of full biology revesion is more than enough..... its just getting your head around all the theroy... there isnt much application questions soo just make sure you understand and can recall everything

Okay you've calmed me down a bit since I posted that, thanks, have a +1 :redface: I think I'd be able to go through section 9 - 11 in the first day, sections 12 - 14 the second day, sections 15 - 16 the third day, which would leave me a full 7 days to do 2 past papers, mark them, see where I went wrong, repeat. Ok I'm calmer now, just have to get my first exams over with before I worry about this one! :redface:
Okay you've calmed me down a bit since I posted that, thanks, have a +1 :redface: I think I'd be able to go through section 9 - 11 in the first day, sections 12 - 14 the second day, sections 15 - 16 the third day, which would leave me a full 7 days to do 2 past papers, mark them, see where I went wrong, repeat. Ok I'm calmer now, just have to get my first exams over with before I worry about this one! :redface:

Don't forget the essay. :wink: and just learn a little fact every day which is outside of the spec.

exactly... with papers yhh... if your running out of time.. i will adice you to just go thru the paper real quickly and the questions you get wrong... learn the answer for it... however you have like 7 days for doing past papers so you got nothing to worry abt ther.... and also i would advice you to spent 2-3 days on biol1,2,4 for the essay cos if you know your stuff then its easy 20 mark
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Don't forget the essay. :wink: and just learn a little fact every day which is outside of the spec.

Original post by lifeisgood2012
exactly... with papers yhh... if your running out of time.. i will adice you to just go thru the paper real quickly and the questions you get wrong... learn the answer for it... however you have like 7 days for doing past papers so you got nothing to worry abt ther.... and also i would advice you to spent 2-3 days on biol1,2,4 for the essay cos if you know your stuff then its easy 20 mark

Thanks, feeling much better now :tongue: On my mock I got 22/25 on the essay (but I think my teacher marked it a bit higher since I didn't include anything from outside the specification on). Plus it was the mock with the essay on shapes which I found okay, but I'll definitely look over the other units. I think the main ones are respiration and photosynthesis that I'll learn in detail again, then I'll briefly look at the nitrogen/carbon cycles, and briefly on meiosis/mitosis. I've saw the list from AQA of old/possible titles so I'll try plan some of those too, thanks again :smile:
Reply 1526
In my opinion, this exam is too hard. Even if you know the stuff, you have to work out what info they actually want first. The questions are often really complicated, it is trying to trick you out of marks. Plus the fact if you put a paragraph wrong in the essay, they don't ignore it but instead drop your mark really annoys me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of interest guys, if say, we used information from a human biology textbook, such as for a disease essay, and wrote about Salmonella and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), does that count as out of the syllabus information, or does it have to be information from other sources?
Might be a silly question, but i'd just like to check if it's ok before I borrow my friend Human Biology textbook :smile:
Thank you
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Just out of interest guys, if say, we used information from a human biology textbook, such as for a disease essay, and wrote about Salmonella and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), does that count as out of the syllabus information, or does it have to be information from other sources?
Might be a silly question, but i'd just like to check if it's ok before I borrow my friend Human Biology textbook :smile:
Thank you

Anything that's not included in our syllabus is outside information :smile:
Reply 1529
What sort of stuff can you talk about importance of proteins?
I cant think of:
-Enzymres (eg. resp & photo)
- Immunity
-Some hormones
-muscle contraction

what else? Thanks

-transport - channel proteins
-pathogens? Antigens and there specific binding sites
-Homeostasis - insulin receptors. But I guess that comes under hormones I guess.
Reply 1530
Sorry if this question has been asked before on this thread, but does anyone know where I can find the January past papers for BIOL5? The AQA website only seems to have the June past papers, plus a specimen paper.
Reply 1531
Original post by sahjan
Sorry if this question has been asked before on this thread, but does anyone know where I can find the January past papers for BIOL5? The AQA website only seems to have the June past papers, plus a specimen paper.

There are no Jan papers. Its a sumner exam only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahjan

The exam is only sat in June. There aren't any jan ones unfortunately :/
Reply 1533
Original post by Beth_L_G
The exam is only sat in June. There aren't any jan ones unfortunately :/

Oh...that's strange. So there's literally only 4 past papers we can do :redface:
I need all the practise I can get :frown:
Just did the specimen paper. Did anyone found that more challenging than the real papers?
(and much more boring to complete!) Might just be me! :smile:
Original post by JoshL123
Is anyone else struggling to understand the Sanger technique/ DNA sequencing? I think I understand the core of it but the gritty details are mehh :s-smilie:

So The Sanger method was created by Sanger to help sequence DNA sequences. The method involves using modified nucleotides known as 'terminators'. So for example if have the basesequence TCGAGCT and you add the terminator 'A' to it then you have two points at which the modified terminator would join to complementary bit of the sequence and prevent any further nucleotides adding to the sequence. In this case, you can get T as A would join to the first base and you can get TCGAGC as an A can join at the very end of the sequence.

So sanger does this with DNA in four tubes with one of the four terminators added to each tube and then allows the terminators to do their thing and then the DNA fragments formed in each tube are separated by gel electrophrohesis. You do gel electrophroesis for each tube and on the picture of it you would usually have four columns of DNA bands with each column representing the terminator used. You can then sequence DNA by starting from the bottom so going from the smallest fragment to the largest and this will allow you to figure out the sequence.

I think this can't be done for really large dna sequences it would be too dificult i think but i'm not entirely sure about this.

I hope this helps. Not the best explainer..
Does anyone happen to have a list of the old spec essay titles?
just out of interest, how many ums do people need to get an A?
Reply 1538
In the nelson thornes textbook it contradicts itself on page 197 it says that ectotherms can generate metabolic heat to gain heat - but I thought endotherms metabolic rate was lower at lower temperatures ...
just out of interest, how many ums do people need to get an A?

152 for units 5 and 6 combined... I'm hoping it's doable, but it's a little more than I'd like. Yourself?

Latest

Trending

Trending