The Student Room Group

Which subject shall I drop? because im going to take maths AS

Im taking (note: this is AS)

Business
Economics
Philosophy of religion and ethics
IT

--------

And going to do computer science at uni, so i need maths. Im going to take maths and replace it with something.

I have asked people, most of them say drop philosophy. But i like philosophy and hate it at the same time. I dont know which one to drop please give advise. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Business studies, it's softer than economics and a lot of Unis don't like it when you take both.
Original post by Shadow-X

Business
Economics
IT

--------

And going to do computer science at uni, so i need maths. Im going to take maths and replace it with something.

I have asked people, most of them say drop philosophy. But i like philosophy and hate it at the same time. I dont know which one to drop please give advise. Thanks. :smile:

business or IT
Reply 3
i think , business ... since you like philosophy etc...

otherwise maths it economics business is an excellent combination....

good luck !

check out this website for your as maths...

http://www.themathscentre.com/cambridge-cie-as-and-a2-mathematics/

cheers...
Reply 4
I'd choose Business to drop.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
thanks for current replies. more opinions please.

bump
Reply 6
Uhhh those aren't great choices for comp sci... You need maths, and at top unis, you basically need further maths. Also, pretty sure another science is mandatory, might even have to be physics. ICT, business, and philosophy are all not very highly regarded I'm afraid. I'm going to sound horrible, but with those choices you have little chance of getting into a course. Perhaps rethink if you really want to do comp sci, and you're choices. Check out a few uni websites, and see if the course is right for you. Best of luck in your decision, and sorry for sounding so negative, but I want to do a similar course, so I have already checked entry requirements.
Reply 7
Original post by TVIO
Uhhh those aren't great choices for comp sci... You need maths, and at top unis, you basically need further maths. Also, pretty sure another science is mandatory, might even have to be physics. ICT, business, and philosophy are all not very highly regarded I'm afraid. I'm going to sound horrible, but with those choices you have little chance of getting into a course. Perhaps rethink if you really want to do comp sci, and you're choices. Check out a few uni websites, and see if the course is right for you. Best of luck in your decision, and sorry for sounding so negative, but I want to do a similar course, so I have already checked entry requirements.

for queen mary u only need gcse grade B and for a level BBB. what u talking about philosophy is hard subject not soft.
Reply 8
for queen mary u only need gcse grade B and for a level BBB. what u talking about philosophy is hard subject not soft.

I didn't mention any grades. And none of those subjects I mentioned are useful for comp sci. At top units (Oxbridge etc) they do like further maths and another science subject, so chances of getting in without them are greatly reduced. That's not to say OP wouldn't get in anywhere, but with current choices, entry to top unis is unlikely.
Reply 9

Business
Economics
IT

--------

Business studies without a doubt. Universities will not like the look of Economics and Business. Economics is seen by far as more rigorous and demanding.

Good choice to take Maths AS.
Definitely business, as it overlaps too much with economics and unis don't like both together, and economics is the more academic one.
Reply 11
im going to drop business at a2, not as is that alright?
Reply 12
buuuuuuummmmmmmmmmppppppppppppp

Quick Reply

Latest