The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by ionaboner
Haha, between 8 of us! You can find Byron on the accommodation part of the NTU site

Posted from TSR Mobile

Between 8?

Well next year you should really consider Unite accommodation!
Original post by Speckle
Bad for England (or the rest of the UK). Worse for Scotland.

Can we remember Wales and Northern Ireland in this please
Original post by a729
How on earth is that possible?

I generally thought he further you go from London-the cheaper it is!

I'm sure I could get better value down south!

That assumption is generally but not always true. Because of its nature St Andrews is one of these exceptions and by and large will charge London prices. I got better value in Brighton last year.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by a729
Between 8?

Well next year you should really consider Unite accommodation!

The kitchen is between 8, yeah. I may do!
Original post by Cmca1

I do think Scotland would be better off making decisions for itself because clearly, what they have voted for politically to date, is not what they are getting from Westminster.

We hear a lot from those in favour in Scottish independence about how Scots are on the receiving end of policies they didn't vote for. We don't hear much about how Scottish MPs have voted for the implementation of policies in England that a clear majority of the English and their MPs are against.

A good example is the introduction of top-up fees on students in England, in 2004, which would never have been passed by parliament if it hadn't been for the support of Scottish and Welsh MPs whose constituents were unaffected by the changes. There is no doubt that a majority of MPs representing English constituencies voted against it.
Original post by Good bloke
We hear a lot from those in favour in Scottish independence about how Scots are on the receiving end of policies they didn't vote for. We don't hear much about how Scottish MPs have voted for the implementation of policies in England that a clear majority of the English and their MPs are against.

A good example is the introduction of top-up fees on students in England, in 2004, which would never have been passed by parliament if it hadn't been for the support of Scottish and Welsh MPs whose constituents were unaffected by the changes. There is no doubt that a majority of MPs representing English constituencies voted against it.

I think you'll find tuition fees will be on the cards up here at some point. I think the SNP are just doing it as a bribe at the moment.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I think you'll find tuition fees will be on the cards up here at some point. I think the SNP are just doing it as a bribe at the moment.

Yes, but that was just an example. My point was that nobody is guaranteed to always get what they want and that, far from being ignored, the Scots can have undue and disproportionate influence over English affairs.
Original post by Good bloke
Yes, but that was just an example. My point was that nobody is guaranteed to always get what they want and that, far from being ignored, the Scots can have undue and disproportionate influence over English affairs.

Nobody ever really gets what they want, but that's the problem we have with the Lothian Question. Don't get me wrong it could quite simply be overcome by two parties making sure their MPs only vote on what effects their constinuencies. Labour. Don't you love em? Short termism at it's best.
Reply 1488
Can anyone who genuinely demands independence give me logical and rational reasons for leaving the Union, besides 'freedom' or wanting to be independent.

It's what I call the 'Braveheart generation' and the youth who are only demanding independence because they get free university as long as the SNP remain in power - I mean Salmond is even trying to get the voting age lowered because he knows he can't win without the youth.
Reply 1489
[video="youtube;GZNNg8HLNhk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNNg8HLNhk[/video]

This video pretty much sums it up.

Oh and why do the better together campaign keep trying to take down the video?
Reply 1490
Original post by Laozi
Can anyone who genuinely demands independence give me logical and rational reasons for leaving the Union, besides 'freedom' or wanting to be independent.

It's what I call the 'Braveheart generation' and the youth who are only demanding independence because they get free university as long as the SNP remain in power - I mean Salmond is even trying to get the voting age lowered because he knows he can't win without the youth.

You really do not know what you're talking about do you?
Original post by Jordan_1
[video="youtube;GZNNg8HLNhk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNNg8HLNhk[/video]

This video pretty much sums it up.

Oh and why do the better together campaign keep trying to take down the video?

Theyre probably not trying to take it down. It's just your nationalistic paranoia kicking in.

do please try and not just repeat what cyber nats elsewhere say. It can be quite harmful to knowingly put yourself into a paranoid state.

incidentally, you're you tube clip appears to be an advert not based on fact. You've just reverted to regurgitating newsnetscotland propoganda.

so whats you're take on Shetland and Orkney going fir home rule? I guess that's a spanner in the works.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1492

Neither do you I assume. Typical response to say someone doesn't know what they're talking about in order to make your point still seem credible.

Give me one logical and rational reason for Scotland to leave the Union besides faux freedom and independence. If you get out of the Union then you're going to go straight into the EU and the Euro.

I live in Scotland and absolutely no one besides the youth or people with Braveheart on their mind is actually thinking of voting. There's no reason for it and the SNP have no idea what they're doing, they just appeal to terrible nationalism and paint England as a tyrant. :rolleyes:

GIVE ME ONE, WALLACE.

I actually think she's made quite an accurate assessment.
Reply 1494
Original post by MatureStudent36
Theyre probably not trying to take it down. It's just your nationalistic paranoia kicking in.

do please try and not just repeat what cyber nats elsewhere say. It can be quite harmful to knowingly put yourself into a paranoid state.

incidentally, you're you tube clip appears to be an advert not based on fact. You've just reverted to regurgitating newsnetscotland propoganda.

so whats you're take on Shetland and Orkney going fir home rule? I guess that's a spanner in the works.

What are you talking about? They have already got the video taken down a number of times. Convenient huh?

Shetland and Orkney can do whatever they like.
Reply 1495
Original post by Laozi
Neither do you I assume. Typical response to say someone doesn't know what they're talking about in order to make your point still seem credible.

Give me one logical and rational reason for Scotland to leave the Union besides faux freedom and independence. If you get out of the Union then you're going to go straight into the EU and the Euro.

I live in Scotland and absolutely no one besides the youth or people with Braveheart on their mind is actually thinking of voting. There's no reason for it and the SNP have no idea what they're doing, they just appeal to terrible nationalism and paint England as a tyrant. :rolleyes:

GIVE ME ONE, WALLACE.

Do you actually read any of the Yes campaigns arguments? Obviously you haven't if you believe it's all based on national pride. Why do you wan't Scotland to be controlled by a government which does not represent or value Scotland's views. For example, 90% of Scottish MP's were against the bedroom tax. What happened? Oh, tough **** Scotland, it's happening anyway.

You do realise Wales and N.I are part of the Union as well don't you? So why do the Unionts act like it is some sort of anti-england agenda. Not to mention there are English MPs and English citizens within Scotland who also support independence.
What are you talking about? They have already got the video taken down a number of times. Convenient huh?

Shetland and Orkney can do whatever they like.

Have they? I've just heard nats say that. Just like the mccrone report was hidden from us...... Even though it was compiled from readily available information.

youd best check with your handler about Shetland and Orkney. The oil financed dream comes to a crashing halt on that one.
Reply 1497
An interesting angle might be how the debate has changed since the problems in the Euro zone. Europe will probably be less welcoming to small new members these days.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you actually read any of the Yes campaigns arguments? Obviously you haven't if you believe it's all based on national pride. Why do you wan't Scotland to be controlled by a government which does not represent or value Scotland's views. For example, 90% of Scottish MP's were against the bedroom tax. What happened? Oh, tough **** Scotland, it's happening anyway.

You do realise Wales and N.I are part of the Union as well don't you? So why do the Unionts act like it is some sort of anti-england agenda. Not to mention there are English MPs and English citizens within Scotland who also support independence.

Is the bed room tax the sound bite fir the month?

incidentally, are you advocating paying over the odds benefits for people living in houses that are too big fir them whilst we have families on waiting lists to get into decent sized properties?

are the SnP giving us houses now?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jaddos
An interesting angle might be how the debate has changed since the problems in the Euro zone. Europe will probably be less welcoming to small new members these days.
Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot changed after 2008. I don't think our politicians in holyrood have understood this

Latest

Trending

Trending