The Student Room Group

Do i have a chance of oxbridge with poor GCSES?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Debdener
It's not jealously, believe you me.
But its unreal, in how many threads that we get on this website asking the same thing and the reply is always the same.

No. The reply is not always the same. Sometimes, particularly for medicine, the reply is "you have no real chance".
No offense. but I doubt you'll get predicted 40+ in the IB with those GCSEs,

I got 4 A*s 6 As and a B and have upped my game significantly since GCSE and only scrape 39/40.
Reply 62
Original post by benwoodyear
That's nonsense, I got 7A*s and got in, despite having a '54% average'. It is much more likely he didn't do so well in either aptitude tests or interview.

Its not nonsense. You don't just apply to 'Oxford' do you? You apply for a subject too, so there can be differences.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Do all subjects do that?

Medicine is really keen on GCSE %A*, I'm not sure other subjects care as much.

I think all subjects have the same process. Medicine standards are higher though (average interviewee an incredible 94%A* last year :eek:), so effectively its more competitive and it seems that they 'care' more.

Original post by ThatGirlx
How are your GCSE's poor then?
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic coming out with so many A*s and saying they're poor :confused:

Oxford medicine specifically has incredibly high expectations.

For other courses, whilst they would be below average for those accepted, they would still be fine. As far as we know anyway - only medicine releases stats and the overall figure of 7.7A* average is from an external source and 2008 data
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by timex

My GCSES were abysmal. 3As and the rest Bs.

Abysmal? In what way are they abysmal!
The national average is only 5 A* to C grades.

It depends more on your further choices and predicted grades.

I got 3 A*'s 3 and a half A's and 3 B's with 2 C's but because I had a pathetic AS Year, I didnt apply to Oxbridge.
What's the cut-off percentage of a*'s at Oxford?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by ChloeBazingaa
What's the cut-off percentage of a*'s at Oxford?:smile:

There isn't one. There are too many factors to consider, not least subject (most of this thread has been referring to medicine).

We could spend 50 pages debating probabilities and recommended 'cut-offs' for given subjects and schools, but it wouldn't lead anywhere. The data is simply not there, and even if it were, it would still be subject to opinion.
Reply 66
Original post by Debdener
How are they abysmal?
Jesus.

I'm pretty sure Oxbridge admission tutors would agree those grades are abysmal by their standards
Original post by nexttime
There isn't one. There are too many factors to consider, not least subject (most of this thread has been referring to medicine).

We could spend 50 pages debating probabilities and recommended 'cut-offs' for given subjects and schools, but it wouldn't lead anywhere. The data is simply not there, and even if it were, it would still be subject to opinion.

Okay thank you :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by timex
Hey guys, was just wondering if there was any point in attempting to apply for either oxford or cambridge. Am currently studying IB in year 12.My GCSES were abysmal. 3As and the rest Bs.If i managed to be predicted 40+ in the IB, do you think i would have any chance? Would just like to hear some other peoples opinion.Thanks a lot :biggrin: x
You do not stand a chance at Oxford with such poor GCSEs, try Oxford Brooke's instead.
Original post by 002
You do not stand a chance at Oxford with such poor GCSEs, try Oxford Brooke's instead.

have you really not got anything better to do with your life then go around lying to people by telling them they have no chance at Oxbridge?
My maths teacher got in to Oxford with 6A*/5A's. This was 3 years ago.
Does anyone know what gcse I nd to achieve in maths, them & biology if I was to study geometry at Manchester uni/bradford uni . Because I looked at thru entry requirements and there confusions hell.
In the context of an Oxbridge application: zero A*s, and only 3 As is pretty poor, in my opinion.

in the Cambridge website, it said that there are no minimum amount of A* grades required (with the exception of medicine and veterinary medicine), does this mean that they would still consider your application for other courses?

they also said that they would look at our grades in the context of the school we went to, is that true?
Original post by ninetydegrees
in the Cambridge website, it said that there are no minimum amount of A* grades required (with the exception of medicine and veterinary medicine), does this mean that they would still consider your application for other courses?

they also said that they would look at our grades in the context of the school we went to, is that true?

There is no minimum amount of A* (even for med/vetmed), so any subject would consider your application as long as you meet the minimum GCSE requirements (check the website for what they are, I dunno).

Yeah, they do consider the quality of your school, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

EDIT: Sorry, I saw another recent post you made. Med/VetMed don't have A* requirements, but perhaps they are the only subject with "minimum GCSE requirements". I assumed all subjects had some bare minimum standard, but I think I might be wrong there. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
There is no minimum amount of A* (even for med/vetmed), so any subject would consider your application as long as you meet the minimum GCSE requirements (check the website for what they are, I dunno).

Yeah, they do consider the quality of your school, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

EDIT: Sorry, I saw another recent post you made. Med/VetMed don't have A* requirements, but perhaps they are the only subject with "minimum GCSE requirements". I assumed all subjects had some bare minimum standard, but I think I might be wrong there. :smile:

that's a relief to hear! but applicants with 0 A*s would still be at a disadvantage with straight As/A*s applicants anyway so what's the point of saying there are no minimum requirements? It doesn't make sense when the ones who get in are the ones with perfect grades all the time? :s-smilie:
Original post by ninetydegrees
that's a relief to hear! but applicants with 0 A*s would still be at a disadvantage with straight As/A*s applicants anyway so what's the point of saying there are no minimum requirements? It doesn't make sense when the ones who get in are the ones with perfect grades all the time? :s-smilie:

Well I don't really know what you mean.

If there was a minimum requirement, people with below it couldn't get in at all.

Whereas with no min reqs, it gives people with lower GCSEs a chance to improve based on UMS etc. Obviously in general, higher grades = better chances.
Reply 76
Do they genuinely care about gcse's that much? What if someone got average b's and c's with 3/4 a's at gcse but got straight a's*'s at a level ? Really want to go Oxford for law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
I think your grades were great, Oxford is too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I researched into Oxford and Cambridge a lot over the past two years. One thing I kept on seeing was that supposedly Cambridge really care about AS UMS, whilst Oxford really seem to care about GCSE's (that's not saying AS's aren't as relevant!).

I seriously suggest you apply to Cambridge; I applied to Oxford with A*A*AAABBBBB and AAAA at AS, they didn't ask me for my AS UMS, I got rejected aswell (although so-so interviews didn't exactly help). My friend on the other hand was asked by Camb to supply his AS UMS, they even said "as your average UMS percentage in AS is over 96%, you are guarenteed to be put in the pool if we (his college of choice) cannot give you an offer (he got an offer anyway)".

*edit* What's also good with cambridge is that they make you fill out an "SAQ", which essentially lets them know a lot more about you before they conduct such an important interview with you. I wish I could've done the same at Oxford, a fair amount of the questions they threw at me were things that were much later in my course/from a different syllabus! Not exactly a test of aptitude, almost just 'lets hope your exam board teaches you this'

In short, for people with so-so GCSEs, Cambridge is your best shot, just make sure you work like mad from NOW.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Tabzqt
abysmal for oxbridge, where the standard candidate will have about 5 A*s or more...

Obviously you don't go to Oxbridge then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending