The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

In our halls everything was unblocked except torrent websites, but there were ways around this.
Reply 781
what's better a YINI or Year in North America at one of the American institutions? I would prefer the latter but not for the whole year probably for just one semester instead, but my question is do employers consider this a plus? (gaining experience at one of the universities in America for a period of time)

As for the year in industry, decided im not gonna do it, I would rather apply for summer placements and try accumulate experience that way than taking a whole year out from studies working and coming back which seems like a bit of a drag.
(edited 10 years ago)
YINI definitely.
Reply 783
I see, cheers Smack! :smile:
Personally, I am staying well away from the imperial system. Well, well away.
Reply 785
Original post by SillyEddy

imperial system?
Original post by a10
imperial system?

The old fashioned way of measuring things e.g. pounds instead of kilos, inches instead of millimetres etc.
Reply 787
Original post by Smack
The old fashioned way of measuring things e.g. pounds instead of kilos, inches instead of millimetres etc.

Ahhhh I see.

EDIT: yeahhh I get it nvm hahaha, I'll decide towards the time whether I still wana do it or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Once you start work you won't be able to. Where I work, we serve a global market. Some technical machining drawings will even be a mix of metric and imperial, ie 3/8" tapped hole, 103.40mm from a given feature. The USA are a nightmare for it.
Original post by Sammy-Boy-206
Once you start work you won't be able to. Where I work, we serve a global market. Some technical machining drawings will even be a mix of metric and imperial, ie 3/8" tapped hole, 103.40mm from a given feature. The USA are a nightmare for it.

Well that sounds like a load of fun...

I just get bugged by the mix of fractional and decimal units of imperial measurements, especially length. Ohwell!
Reply 790
Hey, I've applied for a clearing course at Teesside and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the course materials I'll need to survive I would like to get a head a bit so I have a decent understand I studied mechanical engineering at college and there wasn't really any books given to us to read, I have a basic understanding in thermodynamics and the maths side of it just can never remember the equations!!! If anyone can help I'd be really greatful
Reply 791
Original post by Ajdimond
Hey, I've applied for a clearing course at Teesside and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the course materials I'll need to survive I would like to get a head a bit so I have a decent understand I studied mechanical engineering at college and there wasn't really any books given to us to read, I have a basic understanding in thermodynamics and the maths side of it just can never remember the equations!!! If anyone can help I'd be really greatful

"thermodynamics for dummies" was suggested to me :tongue:

im gonna begin recapping my maths skills and looking at engineering mechanics n thermodynamics after I know im going to uni that is :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 792
Well I think it's a part of the course at the uni so I was wondering if there's anything the university's suggest to read

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 793
I admire you guys how on earth did you deal with results day? I bet it must have felt amazing once you knew you had been accepted onto an engineering course.

I keep having nightmares/or bad thoughts that im going to miss both offers and im gonna be pretty much screwed..****.
Reply 794
ohhh also I haven't visited my insurance choice but I've researched the course thoroughly just haven't had time to visit it but from what I've seen it is very good in terms of facilities and course but the satisfaction stats are not so great so im kinda worried if I go there will I like it....

advice anyone?
Original post by a10
I admire you guys how on earth did you deal with results day? I bet it must have felt amazing once you knew you had been accepted onto an engineering course.

I keep having nightmares/or bad thoughts that im going to miss both offers and im gonna be pretty much screwed..****.

To be perfectly honest, results day was just an inconvenience to my sleep. I think I only got up when I got a text off the uni that I had been accepted.

Just relax about it. If you're accepted, you're accepted, and there's a good chance of that. If not, it really isn't the end of the world - Just a minor hassle or a thing requiring a bit of a think.
Reply 796
To be perfectly honest, results day was just an inconvenience to my sleep. I think I only got up when I got a text off the uni that I had been accepted.

Just relax about it. If you're accepted, you're accepted, and there's a good chance of that. If not, it really isn't the end of the world - Just a minor hassle or a thing requiring a bit of a think.

what would you advise for the scenario I posted above? :redface:
Original post by a10
what would you advise for the scenario I posted above? :redface:

I doubt your insurance choice would be bad. It might not be super, but it should not be dreadful.

If possible, see if they're running an open day or something just to see it, or arrange a trip if that's available?

The chances of despising it are pretty low, but if it's not right for you, it would be better to reject the offer before student loans and accommodation money are being moved around.
Reply 798
I doubt your insurance choice would be bad. It might not be super, but it should not be dreadful.

If possible, see if they're running an open day or something just to see it, or arrange a trip if that's available?

The chances of despising it are pretty low, but if it's not right for you, it would be better to reject the offer before student loans and accommodation money are being moved around.

I have a foundation year offer from both but with the condition that if I came close or met their BEng requirements i would then do the BEng in Mech Eng without having to do the f.y.I emailed the eng admissions team and he said if I wasn't allowed access by my firm to do their BEng then I should ring my insurance and he would try and offer me something depending on my grades and then arrange an open day the next few days.

Now I think the time limit I have to accept the offer is literally one day or two since its very competitive so its kinda the question do I say yes and just go to it or no and stick with f.y. at my firm if I don't get on their BEng that is...

both uni's are pretty good for mech eng.
Original post by a10

I remember being generally fairly nonchalant about the whole thing. I missed my offer for my firm but still got in, but back then almost every university in Scotland was quite easy to get into for engineering, apart from Strathclyde, which I didn't even apply to. I think I do remember a somewhat nervous few days until it was confirmed, though, although I'm sure I did meet my conditional for my insurance anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest