The Student Room Group

A level Choices HELP!

Hi,
I would appreciate some advice on which A-levels to chose for a degree in Law at one of the Russell Group Unis. Currently I am 100% sure I would like to do 1. English 2. History 3. Religious Studies as they are subjects I love, enjoy and feel I could get the best grades in. However I am stuck on the fourth option! I can't decide between 1. Politics 2. French 3. Geography. Here is my dilemma:

Politics - Havn't done this subject before but I am interested in the topic and suits my essay writing strengths so maybe safe choice. However is four essay subjects too much work or unfavoured by top unis as it shows no variety?

French - Predicted A* at GCSE but worried about step up to A level. However know it is highly regarded by unis.

Geography - Worried about the work load with this subject as GCSE there is so much to learn but realize that it is a good facilitating a level.

Therefore any advice would be highly appreciated on which would be the best combo for successful applications.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 1
Those are fab choices ! You're going to love religious studies, kind of hard but it's definitely a good one to have, for the fourth option I would say take French, it will look good when applying. I do Spanish A2 after getting an A at GCSE, it is a HUGE step up, but I have still managed to be offered all places to study Spanish at uni! So yeah, hope this helps :biggrin:
Either are great!

I'm also debating between Geography and French :mmm:

In the end I decided to teach myself f.maths and choose both!

But French > Geography

If you enjoy one more, do it!
Reply 3
Take whichever one you enjoy the most. Personally, I think the language would fit in perfectly, and will be very beneficial in the future. Universities also love foreign languages, which is always a plus. :smile: by the way, are you doing English lit or lang?
Original post by Snake2493
x

In terms of effects on your application, the difference between Politics/French/Geography is negligible.

Since you're doing History, English, RS, though, I would avoid Politics because as you said it's going to be a lot of essay work.

Choosing between French and Geography, I'd say French, but only if you're confident that you're a strong linguist (i.e. if you find GCSE to be very easy).

Quick Reply

Latest