The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham vs University of Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

It depends what you're looking for. Nottingham may be slightly higher in rankings but - in my humble opinion - Birmingham has a nicer campus (with AMAZING architecture) and more of a community feel. I went to Nottingham for 2 months and ended up leaving, partly because the campus felt too vast and impersonal. Most students love Nottingham the city, maybe for the vibrant club scene and the nice bars and all that sort of thing, and if you like those things, then it's great. But it's not exactly a 'beautiful' city, particularly once you get out of the centre; I felt it was a bit grotty. When I went to Bham, however, I was so awed by the beauty of the architecture and there was an arts festival going on which made it feel vibrant and exciting. But I know people who would disagree with me about the cities, so I think it's a subjective thing. If you haven't already, visit the universities and then you can make an informed decision on which one you like the feel of more. Notts was the only uni I didn't visit yet I ended up firming it only based on rankings, and that's a big regret for me! :P
Omg I also have to choose between these two uni's for psychology.
I visited Birmingham 2 weeks ago and it was so lovely, and I'm visiting Nottingham tomorrow so I can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by tangowithjanito
Omg I also have to choose between these two uni's for psychology.
I visited Birmingham 2 weeks ago and it was so lovely, and I'm visiting Nottingham tomorrow so I can't wait :biggrin:

Same!!!
I've visited both universities, I'm firming Birmingham because I love the campus and location so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Nottingham >>>> Slightly better overall reputation and prettier leafy campus with great halls and nightlife

Birmingham >>>> Better, safer, cleaner city, dull nightlife

When going for jobs, employers will probably be more in awe of Nottingham given that it was so consistently highly ranked in the 90s, before the biased student satisfaction survey came along to mess up the ranking system.
Both are GREAT Universities, go with whichever is better for your subject and which you would prefer to stay at. If Nottingham Uni was SLIGHTLY better but the city/uni life sucked, then I would go Birmingham Uni HANDS DOWN. I live in Birmingham, did 3 years at BCU and 1 year at UoB. BCU as a Uni, is NOT good and the campus is just boring honestly. UoB has great teaching and the campus is beautiful, thoroughly enjoyed my time there honestly. I wish I had the grades to do my Bachelors there to be fair but I'm glad I got to spend a year there as a student.
I applied for both having never looked at Birmingham. Nottingham was my first choice, but the other day Nottingham gave me an AAB offer and Birmingham offered me an unconditional! Gonna have to look at Birmingham now :P
For economics L100 notts has a much better rep, in terms of course content and job prospects. Nearly all notts econ grads go into banking/consultancy at top firms. Notts is 1 place behind UCL for econ (6th) birmingham is something like 18th? Even if you value student life/ campus I'd pick notts every time
Reply 27
Original post by St. Brynjar
I had to make this decision myself the other day for Geography! Despite the better course at Birmingham, I ultimately chose Nottingham - I just lived the campus and the city and I could imagine myself living there. Although Birmingham is a fantastic university, I just didn't fall for it in the same way I fell for Nottingham.

Word of warning, reject Birmingham and you'll get a huge 'decliners survey' which feels like shooting a puppy.

Hi!! I'm currently making the exact same decision but for English and Creative Writing. I have the exact same dilemma, as in I have fallen for Nottingham but the course at Birmingham is a lot better. I was just wondering - do you regret your decision in any way? Or do you love Nottingham as much as you imagined?

Thankssss!!
Bham!
Original post by Icycandle
Which one would you rather go to, if you had to pick one. Why?

Any comments, opinions, views or whatever would be very much appreciated. :biggrin:
In this case I'd be going to study L100 BSc Economics at one of the two institutions stated above but want to go to each equally as much.

Help?!

OMG, I am in exactly the same situation as you 3 years on? I cant decide if I should go to the Uni of Birmingham or Uni of Nottingham! I have also applied for Economics! Which one did you end up choosing then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending