The Student Room Group

Why do people find physics harder than maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peter12345
I don't get why everyone finds physics so hard? It's certainly not easy but it is extremely straightforward. Say there's a question about finding the speed of a rollercoaster at the bottom of a hill. All you need to know is everything gets it's speed from energy and that things moving away from the earth gain gravitational potential energy (E=mgh). So if it is moving back down all that energy must have been turned to kinetic energy (E=1/2 mv^2) assuming no friction so the speed of the thing is v= (2gh)^1/2 . Simples.

I never get how people find maths easier than physics. I find maths way harder because it's more abstract

In GCSE Maths I was in foundation set for most of it getting Cs and even Es then worked my ass of at the end to get into higher set and just scrape 80%

In GCSE Physics I knew what it was to feel like a god no other way to explain it. Did a bit of quiet reading a couple weeks before the exam, walked in all chilled out knowing I had a guaranteed 90% minimum. The whole thing was nothing more than a fun competition between me and the class "smart Asian girl" to see who could get closest to 100%. I usually won. In maths class however I was seen as the class dummy where the snobbish class protested me joining from "the lower ranks". "smart Asian girl" was indestructible getting 100% on EVERY single exam in maths.

In A level physics I actually ahd to work (obviously) But I still found it pretty straightforward In Maths my performance shot through the roof after they gave me a calculator as you can see in the jump fom C1 to C2. But I still found it tricky.

In A level maths I got

C1 - 73%

C2 - 91%

C3 - 86%

C4 - 84%

In A level physics I got

Unit 1 - 88%

Unit 2 - 90 %

Unit 3 - 100%

Unit 4 - 98%

So someone please give your side of the story as to why you find physics harder than maths.

Are you speaking about Calculus based Physics, or Algebra based Physics? Calculus based Physics is harder and has more variables being thrown at you. Algebra based physics is very basic and not that difficult to grasp. It’s usually only one variable you are finding for, much like Chemistry mathematics. It also sounds like your brain does better with conceptual thinking that has an image or example tied to it. Some people, like myself, think more abstractly and do better at Calculus vs Calculus based Physics. One could argue that Calculus is extremely easy since the formula is already found for you, so why is it hard for you to find the solution? Calculus based physics is more difficult because your not given the formula, you find the formula from scratch, then you still have to solve the formula after. It’s much harder to find the formula than it is to simply solve the formula. People generally have a tough time with word problems, this is why Calculus based Physics is so difficult! Algebra is easy to grasp since it’s simply an average and not a specific time period. Calculus deals with more variables and gives pin point accuracy over any given interval.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending