The Student Room Group

I took BTEC science can I get into Medicine at Cambridge Uni

Scroll to see replies

If you were going to be a viable Cambridge Med candidate your school would not have allowed you to take Btec Science ... anyone of that calibre would be talked into Triple Science
I am very determind and I am going to ask my science teacher if I can move from BTEC to double or triple as I will go to med school and I will become a doctor . I dont like how some of you are telling me to give up I will not give up at all . and Tabledust what made you "chuckle" ?
Reply 22
Original post by DrBiscuitsRyum
I am very determind and I am going to ask my science teacher if I can move from BTEC to double or triple as I will go to med school and I will become a doctor . I dont like how some of you are telling me to give up I will not give up at all . and Tabledust what made you "chuckle" ?
Determined*
No need to correct me . I probably wont get into cambridge but any uni is good
Reply 24
No need to correct me . I probably wont get into cambridge but any uni is good
Take a read - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
What are you suggesting i wont get into one?
You might even change your mind about medicine when you get to A level. Many people do. You have to keep your GCSE choices as open as you can so you do whatever you like, even if you change your mind. But don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you struggled at GCSE Science, then I'm sorry, but there isn't much of a chance you doing Cambridge stander well with A level sciences. I'm not saying you should give up on your dream, but you might need to reconsider.
Reply 27
What are you suggesting i wont get into one?
No. Medicine is very over-entered over the years; therefore competition for most unis and the strict requirements of AAA at AS level and B's and C's at least to gcse need to be met by universities; you need to transfer out of BTEC asap if you want to go do medicine.
Reply 28
BTEC for GCSE I picked . and I didnt pick GCSE science as i struggled with it in year 9 but ever since i have picked BTEC i have got better but now i want to be a doctor and i am worried i wont get into a med school with BTEC science .

It is highly unlikely, you wont be offering unit 1 of a science GCSE but most applicants will most likely offer A*- A's in triple science, what are your other GCSE grades? Also, keep in mind that you may struggle with Science at A-level because of no prior knowledge! Don't let me stop you though!:colondollar:
I am going to try I struggled in years 7-9 in science but when i started listening more i understood more and I have become better . I really want to be a doctor and even if i dont get into Cambridge who cares I will get into another uni I dont care what
I am going to try I struggled in years 7-9 in science but when i started listening more i understood more and I have become better . I really want to be a doctor and even if i dont get into Cambridge who cares I will get into another uni I dont care what

It seems like you're underestimating how competitive Medicine it. I know someone who had 7 A* 5 As at GCSE and A* A* A A at A level and he got rejected by all his choices first time round and has only been accepted by one university the second time round.

Unfortunately ALL universities are very competitive for Medicine. By all means, try your best and I think your determination is good but don't assume that it'll be easy. I agree with the people who said you should try to switch to GCSE asap
Reply 32
You seem really tunneled in on med, that you'll go as far to say is that you don't really care how bad or good the university is, you just want to do med? Try get a gcse in science, then at alevel you can decide if your heart is still set on med.
So your saying I should just give up be honest ? Say you wanted to be a doctor would you give up just because people are saying your not good enough ?
So your saying I should just give up be honest ? Say you wanted to be a doctor would you give up just because people are saying your not good enough ?

We're not saying that. We're trying to get across to you that it's very competitive. If you feel that you've got what it takes then go for it. But You're only at GCSE and only afterwards can you really start to make big decisions about uni and the rest of your life. You came to this site for advice, we're telling you how it is. We're giving you constructed criticism here. If you can't take this then good luck with Medicine.
(edited 11 years ago)

People here are being realistic.
Sometimes you just have to give up on the dream. Just to put in in context, I know someone who got...
A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA at GCSE and AAAA at AS and she didn't get a single Medicine offer. Even my friend who got 10 A*'s and AAAA at AS didn't get one of her offers for Dentistry (and she ended up getting A*A*A at A Level).

Going to sound harsh, but your grammar and spelling isn't that great either and you need to be able to communicate if you want to be a doctor...

Why not do a degree in biomed/pharmacy or something along those lines, see how you get on, then try for Graduate Entry Medicine if you excel and get a first/high 2:1?
Original post by TenOfThem
If you were going to be a viable Cambridge Med candidate your school would not have allowed you to take Btec Science ... anyone of that calibre would be talked into Triple Science

Depends on the school. My school said I should have taken Health and Social Care BTEC to do medicine (lol), and I thankfully didn't take that advice and have now got three interviews for medicine this year.
Original post by snailsareslimy
Sometimes you just have to give up on the dream. Just to put in in context, I know someone who got...
A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA at GCSE and AAAA at AS and she didn't get a single Medicine offer. Even my friend who got 10 A*'s and AAAA at AS didn't get one of her offers for Dentistry (and she ended up getting A*A*A at A Level).

Going to sound harsh, but your grammar and spelling isn't that great either and you need to be able to communicate if you want to be a doctor...

Why not do a degree in biomed/pharmacy or something along those lines, see how you get on, then try for Graduate Entry Medicine if you excel and get a first/high 2:1?

But there have been people with 0 A* at GCSE and BBCC or worse at AS get in (obviosuly with AAA at the end) so although OP may need to do some sort of Science GCSE for most places, they shouldn't give up on the dream just yet, it just makes getting there more difficult.

OP I suggest you email all medical schools with your predicament, and also pick up at eats double award science this year or nextt so that you have science GCSE background. Although having A*A*A* at A Level is all well and good, many med schools have a minimum GCSE expectation and withut this, they can easily reject you.
dont give up on the dream :/ maybe you dont have a good chance at getting into cambridge but you can get into medicine somewhere else. You are still young, why not give GCSEs another go if you are determined to do med
Original post by AspiringGenius
Depends on the school. My school said I should have taken Health and Social Care BTEC to do medicine (lol), and I thankfully didn't take that advice and have now got three interviews for medicine this year.

You mis-understand my point

The Science Dept would have looked at a potential A*A*A* student applying to do Btec Science and said no

The school he is at does do GCSE so the science dept will be the ones making the final decision about which course a student is on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending