The Student Room Group

Why is TSR so obsessed with uni reputation?

It has been doubt of mine since I joined this forum. Practically every day you see a comment or a post about how X university ranks in terms of prestige. Why is that? Don't tell me it's because employment because that's nonsense (unless you study medicine, dentistry, law and some others). Anyone care to share some hypotheses and speculations?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Juichiro
It has been doubt of mine since I joined this forum. Practically every day you see a comment or a post about how X university ranks in terms of prestige. Why is that? Don't tell me it's because employment because that's nonsense (unless you study medicine, dentistry, law and some others). Anyone care to share some hypotheses and speculations?

You got it a bit wrong, it matters less if you study medicine/dentistry, as employment is almost guaranteed anyway. However for a course such as 'Mathematics', which is what I'm applying for, as well as most other courses, having a qualification from a highly reputable university helps a lot when searching for a job in such tough Economic times. I don't particularly understand why you state that the answer 'employment' is nonsense?

Furthermore, if you wanted to find employment abroad, a degree from a world renown university will obviously help a lot.

Finally, for a university to be ranked highly, they must be pretty good; whether its academic rating, employment rating, student support etc. it will obviously be more attractive to prospective students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Good luck with getting a job with a BA in Fashion Studies from London Met.
(Some) people on TSR are obsessed with rank because they're students. Students (along with academics and education journalists) are the only groups containing people obsessed with rankings.

I'd always take them with a pinch of salt; they're vaguely helpful to some extent and in some categories. I'd advise picking and choosing which factors to take into account. Student satisfaction is useful, staff:student ratio, and spend on academic/student services. Other factors are pretty useless though. Entry requirements aren't relevant to the quality of education, they're relevant to the quality of education received before you get there, and research quality isn't helpful unless you're a postgraduate (because you won't be doing any complex research as an undergraduate).

You might find a good ranking useful if you're planning on working in academia, or wish to pursue a small percentage of grad schemes which ask for graduates from certain universities. But in reality they have quite limited applications beyond student choice and most employers either don't know or don't care where any particular uni is ranked, they care about the employability of the applicant.
(edited 11 years ago)
I guess which university you get into seems a lot more important when you're going through or have just been through a whole load of bum ache to get into a particular one.
Reply 5
Original post by \/ibhav
You got it a bit wrong, it matters less if you study medicine/dentistry, as employment is almost guaranteed anyway. However for a course such as 'Mathematics', which is what I'm applying for, as well as most other courses, having a qualification from a highly reputable university helps a lot when searching for a job in such tough Economic times. I don't particularly understand why you state that the answer 'employment' is nonsense?

Furthermore, if you wanted to find employment abroad, a degree from a world renown university will obviously help a lot.

Finally, for a university to be ranked highly, they must be pretty good; whether its academic rating, employment rating, student support etc. it will obviously be more attractive to prospective students.

^this.

To elaborate, most people go to uni (or at least a good majority) to enhance career opps, and so unless you're doing a vocational course (eg medicine, nursing, dentistry - although not so much law), you rarely get that much directly relevant experience as part of their course, unless you want to go into academia.

And it isn't just the grad schemes and academics that it's relevant to. You get a lot of transferable skills from academic courses, but a lot of the really important bits are the networking with people (like classmates and alumni - if the uni churns out people who ultimately have better career trajectories, you're in better stead if you're just naturally friends with them), or even lecturers and professors - the better the ranking, often the more prominent and well connected the staff, and if you know them, and they know you, it could be really really helpful for your future.

(so research is kind of important, because it determines who you're taught by)

But like russellsteapot said, at the end of the day, if you go to a super high ranking uni and do sweet f.a., it won't get you v far, whereas if you go to an ok uni and is really proactive, with a lot to put on your cv at the end of it, you're probably more likely to be successful I guess (and have had more fun in the process).
Original post by russellsteapot
I'd always take them with a pinch of salt; they're vaguely helpful to some extent and in some categories. I'd advise picking and choosing which factors to take into account. Student satisfaction is useful, staff:student ratio, and spend on academic/student services. Other factors are pretty useless though. Entry requirements aren't relevant to the quality of education, they're relevant to the quality of education received before you get there, and research quality isn't helpful unless you're a postgraduate (because you won't be doing any complex research as an undergraduate).

Entry requirements will be relevant to your choice - if you're an A* student, why would you want to be on a course designed with B/C students in mind? Not only will it not stretch you as much as it should, but you won't have people as smart as you to discuss the material with.
Access to a higher ranking university is due to higher grades

and as tsr is obsessed with high grades, they are thus obsessed with prestigious universities
Reply 8
Because people want the best for themselves. Uni is not just a uni, and a car is not just a car. Sure, they have tires and the engine, but the quality of the car, nor the price of the car is the same, neither is horse power the same for all cars, thus people want to own and drive Aston Martin, Bentleys, Ferrari, and not Fiat and Volkswagen, lol.

Unis have different prestige, different entry requirements, different starting/average salary and different job prospects.

The point with the uni is to get a job you want.
Reply 9

People like you struggle with career prospects in future and wonder why.

All around you, you can see evidence of the successful people ruling you or succeeding in business/career are concentrated on a limited background but yet you insist on saying their background is irrelevant or does not matter.

There is a strong correlation between educational institution and success in the career world:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#12446682

A small handful of establishments produce people that get a large chunk of the desired positions. The 80/20 rule.

Original post by russellsteapot
(Some) people on TSR are obsessed with rank because they're students. Students (along with academics and education journalists) are the only groups containing people obsessed with rankings.

You might find a good ranking useful if you're planning on working in academia, or wish to pursue a small percentage of grad schemes which ask for graduates from certain universities. But in reality they have quite limited applications beyond student choice and most employers either don't know or don't care where any particular uni is ranked, they care about the employability of the applicant.

This is so misinforming it is shocking.

Entry requirements dictates the calibre of people you will study and compete with, the range and depth of topics you will delve in, the pace at which you will study and the calibre of people you will have in your network.

Quality knowledge is about clusters and networks, having the most academically able help maximise your, and push you in, acquisition of knowledge.

That is the reason why you have innovation and progress in places like the West as oppose to Africa. Or places like Oxbridge as oppose to Keele.

The research and quality of lecturers adds to this network to a lesser extent. Research quality also correlates with financial muscle, which dictates the funding available to fund your facilities for your studies, and the prestige allocated to you in finding top jobs or post-grad places.

How can you say those are useless when most people go to university purely to increase their employment and life chances?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by LutherVan
People like you struggle with career prospects in future and wonder why.

All around you, you can see evidence of the successful people ruling you or succeeding in business/career are concentrated on a limited background but yet you insist on saying their background is irrelevant or does not matter.

There is a strong correlation between educational institution and success in the career world:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/9#12446682

A small handful of establishment get a large chunk of the desired. The 80/20 rule.

This is so misinforming it is shocking.

Entry requirements dictates the calibre of people you will study and compete with, the range and depth of topics you will delve in, the pace at which you will study and the calibre of people you will have in your network.

Knowledge is about clusters and network, having the most academically able help maximise and push you in acquisition of knowledge.

That is the reason why you have innovation and progress in places like the West as oppose to Africa. Or places like Oxbridge as oppose to Keele.

The research and teaching capability adds to this network to a lesser extent. Research quality also indicate financial muscle, which dictates the funding available to fund your facilities for your studies.

How can you say those are useless when most people go to university purely to increase their employment and life chances?

What's wrong with universities like Keele? Just because somewhere isn't Oxbridge or Russell group it doesn't instantly devalue the place. Keele itself has some of the best graduate prospects and student satisfaction ratings in the country.
The distinction should be made with grades, as it is during further education (i.e.A,B,C,D,E,U/1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3) then on institution, as studying is to show your abilities now, not your A level results years ago.
Reply 11
Original post by ihateocr
What's wrong with universities like Keele? Just because somewhere isn't Oxbridge or Russell group it doesn't instantly devalue the place. Keele itself has some of the best graduate prospects and student satisfaction ratings in the country.
The distinction should be made with grades, as it is during further education (i.e.A,B,C,D,E,U/1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3) then on institution, as studying is to show your abilities now, not your A level results years ago.

I never said anything is wrong with Keele. I just inferred if you are aiming for a certain level, then it is best to go to a uni that gives you a higher probability.

I think you would do your life a world of good if you stop thinking "The distinction should be...." and start thinking "The distinction would be....". Real life cannot be wished away like a nursery school story book.

I don't know how many CEOs, entrepreneurs, scholars and billionaires you know that attended Keele, but there sure are many that attended Edinburgh. So people employed as mortgage customer representatives do not count for much in graduate prospects even if they are added to graduate prospects percentages.

PS: I am assuming many people taking this advice are extremely ambitious. If not, any university is fine. Just be prepared to accept the level the university is LIKELY to place you in life.
Reply 12
Original post by intstud29

The point with the uni is to get a job you want.

And there was me thinking it was about getting an education. Seriously, this is the only reason you're going to uni?!

In answer to the question. I think TSR has a large number of students between the ages of 15-18 who are getting good grades at school, which they presumably have put a lot of time and effort into getting in. These good grades will allow them access to some unis that would otherwise be shut off to them.

Ultimately they want to be able to have the most satisfying life, best job, nicest house, car etc. possible, like everyone else, and they have personally invested an awful lot in the idea that success in education is the best way to go about this. A key manifestation of success in school education is the university you attend, thus they want the university you attend to really matter in attaining all of the above.

To say 'the uni you go to isn't that important', whether true or not, is like them/us saying 'busting my balls for the last 5/6 years has been for naught', which isn't a pleasant thought.
I'm already starting to feel a little bit fascinated by this latest thread on the subject.
Reply 14
Original post by roh
And there was me thinking it was about getting an education. Seriously, this is the only reason you're going to uni?!

Lol:biggrin: Duh! That is the huge part of it. The bills aren't paying by themselves. At least I am honest, so I don't see where the problem is.

It is great to get an education which I will but ultimate goal of any education is not "getting an education" but getting a good job. The job you want. In order to do so, there are several things a person need to go through, which is an education.

The higher ambitions you have, the harder entry requirements and the more stress and the more sacrifice. But hopefully it will pay back in a good way in the end.

Also, when you have a job, you contribute back to the society. It's the way things work unfortunately.
Personal statements and the interviews are always an act. You try to "sell yourself" in the best way possible. Only on a forum like this is where you actually can recieve an honest reply.

A society can't work properly if people are denied their dreams, but also a society can't work properly if people or students doesn't have a goal with their education, which is to get a good job!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Lol:biggrin: Duh! That is the huge part of it. The bills aren't paying by themselves. At least I am honest, so I don't see where the problem is.

It is great to get an education which I will but ultimate goal of any education is not "getting an education" but getting a good job. The job you want. In order to do so, there are several things a person need to go through, which is an education.

The higher ambitions you have, the harder entry requirements and the more stress and the more sacrifice. But hopefully it will pay back in a good way in the end.

Also, when you have a job, you contribute back to the society. It's the way things work unfortunately.
Personal statements and the interviews are always an act. You try to "sell yourself" in the best way possible. Only on a forum like this is where you actually can recieve an honest reply.

A society can't work properly if people are denied their dreams, but also a society can't work properly if people or students doesn't have a goal with their education, which is to get a good job!

Obviously it's a factor, but there are very few jobs you can't do without a university degree.

I personally have a 'good job', by the TSR definition if not the wider world's, for when I graduate, but I could have got there without doing my degree and saved myself 20 odd grand as a bonus. If all you want is a job how do you do things like choose modules, select a dissertation, push yourself through the all nighters etc.?
Reply 16
Original post by roh
Obviously it's a factor, but there are very few jobs you can't do without a university degree.

I personally have a 'good job', by the TSR definition if not the wider world's, for when I graduate, but I could have got there without doing my degree and saved myself 20 odd grand as a bonus. If all you want is a job how do you do things like choose modules, select a dissertation, push yourself through the all nighters etc.?

WTF is your problem?

Does UK fund me? NO, I spend my own money and my goverments loans to educate myself. I pay a lot more than others regarding fees.

Will I cost UK anything? Nope.

Will I seek job afterwards in a ****ty UK economy? NOPE.

So tell me, WTF is your problem then?

Wanna discuss? Talk to a mirror, lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
WTF is your problem?

Does UK fund me? NO, I spend my own money and my goverments loans to educate myself. I pay a lot more than others regarding fees.

Will I cost UK anything? Nope.

Will I seek job afterwards in a ****ty UK economy? NOPE.

So tell me, WTF is your problem then?

Wanna discuss? Talk to a mirror, lol.

What? I asked how you plan to motivate yourself, that isn't a question I can answer myself for obvious reasons of not being you.

I don't have a problem, I'm curious as to how you keep yourself motivated through uni and go through those processes which ask you to make choices based on academic interests, I didn't realise it would provoke such ire on your part.

I couldn't care less how you fund your studies, where you plan to work or whether you cost the UK anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18

Students will inform you about the reputation/status of a university because this site is full of students who have seen/been or currently going to the university so they would know which university is better and which one is worth going to especially after increasing tuition fees.

Students will look at the reputation of the university to see if its worth going there to get a decent degree which will get them a decent job. After all they are paying for it.
Reply 19
Original post by rubena123
Students will inform you about the reputation/status of a university because this site is full of students who have seen/been or currently going to the university so they would know which university is better and which one is worth going to especially after increasing tuition fees.

Students will look at the reputation of the university to see if its worth going there to get a decent degree which will get them a decent job. After all they are paying for it.

A decent degree won't get you a decent job whatever "decent" means to you. However, I agree that a degree with a 1st or upper second will increase the probabilities of getting a graduate job. However, in todays economy that increase is minimal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending