The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Not sure if it has been posted before, in a blind panic I haven't checked all 30 pages of the thread :') Basically, I am in the deep end with Section C, and my teacher thinks we will get a 10 marker on creating a study. This is where the proverbial poop hits the fan. I can't write them to save my life, I don't like crafting them anyway, so, any help would be brilliant. Also, treatments for addiction would be helpful as well. Any pages you've used (interwebs) or anything you would be willing to scan would be much appreciated. Yours Sincerely, I am pooping breeze blocks, the bricks came with Unit 3.
Original post by Coolkat
Guys what do you do if a question comes up asking for public health interventions?

I have one intervention - Doctors advise and two legislations..
What do i do??

You can talk about advertising campaigns? The banning of cigarette advertisements but ALSO anti-smoking/drinking/gambling/etc advertising campaigns, and pick out some studies to evaluate if it's a big marker.
Original post by fhs2013
does anyone know whether we have to know validating new knowledge for research methods?

We have to know about Peer Review, is that the same thing? :P
Any last minute predictions for SZ and addiction?
Original post by Janjua
A01 is basically describing the model and giving all the studies
A02 is evaluating by explaining type of research methods (pros and cons) used, reductionism, determinism, nature/nurture, validity, reliability etc :biggrin:
Quiet simple really when you get the pattern.

you're wrong.
knowledge 'describing' is A01
studies are A02
what you referred to as A02 is actually A03.
With the psychological explanations of schizophrenia, how many do we have to know? Could they test us on one specific one?
Same with the therapies, would it be okay learning the biological drug therapy and then one or two psychological therapies rather than all of them?
So scared for this exam :s-smilie:
Original post by HiI'mAshleigh
you're wrong.
knowledge 'describing' is A01
studies are A02
what you referred to as A02 is actually A03.

Studies can also be used in A01 - if you say 'Rosenhan's study shows that' for e.g. A02 studies say 'Rosenhan's study supports this'
Original post by bethanyfish
With the psychological explanations of schizophrenia, how many do we have to know? Could they test us on one specific one?
Same with the therapies, would it be okay learning the biological drug therapy and then one or two psychological therapies rather than all of them?
So scared for this exam :s-smilie:

Ive learnt two for psychological (family relationships and cognitive biases and deficits) and for biological again ive learnt two (genes and dopamine hypothesis) With the biological therapies drug therapy can be classed as two explanations if you use TYPICAL and ATYPICAL drugs :smile: Hope this helps!:smile:
Original post by RebeccaAdele123
Ive learnt two for psychological (family relationships and cognitive biases and deficits) and for biological again ive learnt two (genes and dopamine hypothesis) With the biological therapies drug therapy can be classed as two explanations if you use TYPICAL and ATYPICAL drugs :smile: Hope this helps!:smile:

Thank you! I can leave a few therapies out now :smile:
Thank you! I can leave a few therapies out now :smile:

Yes :smile: I've only really seen them ask for 'Two or more' but if you know enough two should be enough :smile:
I am about to start my revision on Addiction and Research Methods, having just finished Schizophrenia, and am likely to be up all night. Don't worry, I am an excellent crammer. WISH ME LUCK! (anyone think that schizo therapies would come up 3 times in a row? I'm counting on them not...)
Does anyone know what came up in January for phobias and anomalistic?
And does anyone have any predictions?
Thaaaaanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Hi, for anomalistic, do we have to know anything about cognitive factors behind belief in exceptional experiences etc? Because I know there were a few questions in past papers about this, but I have a feeling it may have been taken out the spec? Now we only have to know personality factors right?

Also, do you think we could be asked a ten marker on psychic healing because there really doesn't seem that much to say on it, even the studies are quite brief and do not have a great deal of evaluation to go with them. I'm kind of hoping psychic healing won't come up at all but it probably will as it's the only topic that hasn't been questioned yet, I just hope it's only a few marks.

Thanks in advance and best of luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 593
does anyone know any issues of peer review?
Yeah I think so - you could probably combine them together and it'd make sense

Thanks my teacher gave me an example and the two together so ill just learn it like that and see what comes up :smile:
Reply 595
Original post by lauren_denman
Does anyone know what came up in January for phobias and anomalistic?
And does anyone have any predictions?
Thaaaaanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry i don't do those topics but i've uploaded the paper here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=43169442&postcount=21
How has everyone revised Research methods? Bit worried that I haven't done enough:confused:
Original post by fhs2013
does anyone know any issues of peer review?

It isn't always possible to find an expert.
Anonymity is usually practiced so that reviewers can be honest but this may have an opposite effect of reviewers who are holding a grudge.
Books and journals only tend to post positive results which shows publication bias.
Journals also avoid publishing straight replications- despite replicability being essential for validity.
Original post by nm786
sorry i don't do those topics but i've uploaded the paper here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=43169442&postcount=21

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 599
Original post by Coolkat
Same position exactly!
How are you revising? Have you tried reading it out loud as a mindmap/teaching someone else?

I've just been re-reading my notes and reading the textbook - I'm fine with schizophrenia but it's addiction that is killing me!!! :angry:
What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending