The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 A Level Maths

Can somebody just help me out? Urhm for edexcel S1 maths, for our answers for particular questions is it better to leave and answer as a fraction or a decimal?? And how many decimal places/significant figures should we leave our answer too?? Because the text book just does everything :smile: LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Can somebody just help me out? Urhm for edexcel S1 maths, for our answers for particular questions is it better to leave and answer as a fraction or a decimal?? And how many decimal places/significant figures should we leave our answer too?? Because the text book just does everything :smile: LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, if the answer is a recurring decimal, I prefer to give it as a fraction. It really doesn't matter whichever you do, but if you choose to leave it as a decimal, I'd agree with the previous poster who said 3 s.f.. Make sure to write (3 s.f.) in brackets like that next to your answer though, to be on the safe side.
Original post by justinawe
Personally, if the answer is a recurring decimal, I prefer to give it as a fraction. It really doesn't matter whichever you do, but if you choose to leave it as a decimal, I'd agree with the previous poster who said 3 s.f.. Make sure to write (3 s.f.) in brackets like that next to your answer though, to be on the safe side.

Thanks for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best to give fraction mate. Otherwise do 3 s.f. It is recurring decimal such as 2/3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edsjay23
Best to give fraction mate. Otherwise do 3 s.f. It is recurring decimal such as 2/3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem man. Have you got the S1 exam in may?
(edited 10 years ago)
Write both down :smile: And say 3sf.
No problem man. Have you got the S1 exam in may?

Yeh :smile: 17th May actually looking forward to it as its my first exam lol
Original post by Blueray2
Write both down :smile: And say 3sf.

Yeh thanks man because the text book is soo varied, just wanted to be sure :smile: didnt want to drop marks because of rounding errors lol
Yeh :smile: 17th May actually looking forward to it as its my first exam lol

I got that exam then as well. Do you use your calculator to work out normal distribution?
Nah i prefer using the tables :smile: but you can use it to work out the variance and theres plenty that you can doo on the calculator :smile: good luck though man :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah i prefer using the tables :smile: but you can use it to work out the variance and theres plenty that you can doo on the calculator :smile: good luck though man :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you too. How many maths exams have you got? I got D1 on the same day as S1 lol :smile: I'm sure you will do good dude xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep you too. How many maths exams have you got? I got D1 on the same day as S1 lol :smile: I'm sure you will do good dude xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only have two, C2 and S1 :smile: i got 86 in C1 and was a bit disappointed as i could of done better :frown: ph so your doing further maths??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only have two, C2 and S1 :smile: i got 86 in C1 and was a bit disappointed as i could of done better :frown: ph so your doing further maths??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. I only got 81 in C1 so I'm doing that again. I got C1,S1,S2,D1,C2,C3.
Yep. I only got 81 in C1 so I'm doing that again. I got C1,S1,S2,D1,C2,C3.

Oh wow :smile: you're doing C3 this summer? Thats actually quite good man how many exams you got in total and what other subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do Chemistry(2), physics(2), English lit(1), maths(4), further maths(2), gcse German (2) and general studies (1) . What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do Chemistry(2), physics(2), English lit(1), maths(4), further maths(2), gcse German (2) and general studies (1) . What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry (2), Physics (2), Biology (1) and Maths (2) :smile: i got a B in chemistry and physics so im retaking them :smile: mate you have 14 exams :O good luck man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers man you too. Whereabouts are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers man you too. Whereabouts are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

London :wink: west London to be precise you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest