The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GirlWithADream
Yeah I have, nobody's got a reply from King's yet..the wait is horrible :frown:
Good luck for your interview!

Well at least it seems like you're all in the same boat! Waiting for a reply when others have interviews for the same course isn't much fun!
Thank you :biggrin: I really hope you hear from them soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsmagic
Thank you! Are you a medical student - I remember seeing you on other forums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hhaha hopefully i will be :biggrin: I'm a re applicant just like you :smile: I have posted on other forums too :smile:
Original post by Joannywhite
Hhaha hopefully i will be :biggrin: I'm a re applicant just like you :smile: I have posted on other forums too :smile:

Oooops my bad!!
Cool, where have you applied to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the admission criteria the same for UK home and international students or is it different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview at Cardiff! after 3 rejections pre-inteview last year this was needed to calm the nerves!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsmagic
Oooops my bad!!
Cool, where have you applied to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went for Aberdeen, Dundee, Sheffield and St George's :smile: Wbu?
Original post by callummj6747
Interview at Cardiff! after 3 rejections pre-inteview last year this was needed to calm the nerves!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats pal!!
Reply 3227
Are we expected to know loads about the NHS or will a basic knowledge of the privatization be enough?? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently reading NHS SOS and I can't recommend it enough. I thought it would be quite a tricky book, with lots of politics and difficult to understand policies. It's not - it's a genuine, realisitic view of what is happening to the NHS and all the issues surrounding it. It's fairly recent and contains a lot about the Francis Report too (which, if your working as a HCA - i would definitely throw in how you read the report etc etc at interview) so lots of interview points there. Each chapter is written by a different doctor and so far, i'm really impressed with the writing.
Original post by ameelia22
I am currently reading NHS SOS and I can't recommend it enough. I thought it would be quite a tricky book, with lots of politics and difficult to understand policies. It's not - it's a genuine, realisitic view of what is happening to the NHS and all the issues surrounding it. It's fairly recent and contains a lot about the Francis Report too (which, if your working as a HCA - i would definitely throw in how you read the report etc etc at interview) so lots of interview points there. Each chapter is written by a different doctor and so far, i'm really impressed with the writing.

Thank you ameelia, I've looked into the Francis report online and it's really interesting. Definitely handy to throw in at interview.
Reply 3230
Original post by mcollin1
Are we expected to know loads about the NHS or will a basic knowledge of the privatization be enough?? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Based on mine and friends' interviews last year I'd recommend knowing about the Health and Social Care Act 2012 (basically scrapping PCTs and introduction of CCGs), Liverpool Care Pathway being phased out, GMC, BMA, NICE, PHE and anything that has come up in the news recently. (A and E problems!) Also Francis reports and Greenaway reports may be useful, and what Jeremy Hunt is saying. When I say know about these things, just have a broad overview and a few opinions, and you should be good to go! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it so hard to get a job in the NHS :frown: ive applied to four at the moment, pharmacy assistant, Cardiographer and 2 different service assistant jobs :/ I thought my application was pretty good but I hear nothing back, how much detail do you guys include in the personal reasons bit of the NHS jobs form? :smile:
Original post by raveen789
Why is it so hard to get a job in the NHS :frown: ive applied to four at the moment, pharmacy assistant, Cardiographer and 2 different service assistant jobs :/ I thought my application was pretty good but I hear nothing back, how much detail do you guys include in the personal reasons bit of the NHS jobs form? :smile:

You've applied to four? Love, I applied to at least 40 before I got interviewed.
You've applied to four? Love, I applied to at least 40 before I got interviewed.

Could not agree with this more!
Reply 3234
Ehehehehe, I got my job on the first attempt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3235
Original post by Hugby1
Ehehehehe, I got my job on the first attempt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well aren't you a lucky munchkin?

I had to apply over a 6 month period before I got my job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I feel like a noob xD I can't actually apply to many more because of lack of posts in general, wish I had applied a long time ago *sigh* I can't even get a retail job ATM :frown:
Original post by raveen789
Lol I feel like a noob xD I can't actually apply to many more because of lack of posts in general, wish I had applied a long time ago *sigh* I can't even get a retail job ATM :frown:

I had quite a similar problem with lack of posts in my area, but I think the best thing to do with NHS applications is to take advantage of the space on the application form where they allow you to state why you're fit for the job. Look at the person specification, and try to match qualities from that with examples of how you have those qualities (if that makes sense). For example: don't just say that you can work well in a team, but explain what experiences have enabled you to develop good teamwork skills. It's also a good idea to mention that you've had work experience in a clinical environment before, even if it isn't entirely relevant to the job you're applying for, it shows you have even a basic understanding of how things are run within the NHS.
Original post by PocketMerlin
I had quite a similar problem with lack of posts in my area, but I think the best thing to do with NHS applications is to take advantage of the space on the application form where they allow you to state why you're fit for the job. Look at the person specification, and try to match qualities from that with examples of how you have those qualities (if that makes sense). For example: don't just say that you can work well in a team, but explain what experiences have enabled you to develop good teamwork skills. It's also a good idea to mention that you've had work experience in a clinical environment before, even if it isn't entirely relevant to the job you're applying for, it shows you have even a basic understanding of how things are run within the NHS.

Ok thanks! Yeah I have tried to do that eg I put I play football regularly which has allowed me to build strong team work skills as well as building confidence in my own abilities :smile:

But I'll try harder :biggrin:
Could anyone please answer my question, I dont feel like it'd be necessary to create an entire thread...I'm applying for med school for entry in 2015. In terms of work experience, I've been caring for my grand mother who's affected by dementia for a couple of years now. I've also volunteered in Kenya in 2012 to work in schools and took part in community health projects, I've also worked as a care worker for about 6 months, but that was back in 2008. With my profile, do you reckon I need more health related work experience or shall I just build on what I have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending