The Student Room Group

Where can I get accommodation at/near Cambridge uni during summer (June-Aug)as intern

Where can I get accommodation at/near Cambridge University during summer (June-Aug)as an intern?
I am really considering doing an internship at the university of Cambridge but have no idea where to start with looking for accommodation. Does anyone studying there know?
I am a student (not at Cambridge) - a London University but wishing to do a summer internship (unpaid probably) from around the start of July to the end of August-ish. The cheaper the rent, the better. Not too fussy about the features of the accommodation as long as it's near-ish to the University of Cambridge it is. Would love it if somehow I could get student accommodation as I know it'll be the end of term by then so maybe they rent out the rooms to others e.g. interns during that time?
Most "estate agent" type places adverts I've looked at seem to want a minimum 6 month stay (I only need to rent for 2 months) or say "preferably no students".

Please let me know
Thank you
Original post by Lovewings1
Where can I get accommodation at/near Cambridge University during summer (June-Aug)as an intern?
I am really considering doing an internship at the university of Cambridge but have no idea where to start with looking for accommodation. Does anyone studying there know?
I am a student (not at Cambridge) - a London University but wishing to do a summer internship (unpaid probably) from around the start of July to the end of August-ish. The cheaper the rent, the better. Not too fussy about the features of the accommodation as long as it's near-ish to the University of Cambridge it is. Would love it if somehow I could get student accommodation as I know it'll be the end of term by then so maybe they rent out the rooms to others e.g. interns during that time?
Most "estate agent" type places adverts I've looked at seem to want a minimum 6 month stay (I only need to rent for 2 months) or say "preferably no students".

Please let me know
Thank you

Just look on various Cambridge college websites, if they don't have much info just ring up.

Which department would you be working in? Try find a college near the department.
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply. Any other suggestions are also very welcome!
Reply 3
This website will tell you what colleges have availability for rental outside of term:

http://www.cambridgerooms.co.uk/
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
This website will tell you what colleges have availability for rental outside of term:

http://www.cambridgerooms.co.uk/

Thank you for that link. It would have been really useful if it wasn't hotel-like prices i.e. more suitable for a one or two day stay rather than 1 month+.
Thanks anyway.
Reply 5
Speak to the people you're doing an internship with. They may well be able to get you a reduced rate at one of the colleges.
Reply 6
Thanks for the responses - tried those ways but still not found anywhere. Please post if any of you can help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lovewings1
Thanks for the responses - tried those ways but still not found anywhere. Please post if any of you can help :smile:

I can't help, but I'm in exactly the same boat - will be interning in July and August and looking for a room.
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone knows any accommodation going from start of july through to mid september 2013? Asking here cause ideally I'm looking for student housemates and it's proving rather hard to search for these.

Bit of background, I'm from Imperial College looking to stay for an internship over the summer. Any tips please throw them my way!
Reply 9
I know this is a year old now , but how did you guys solved it? I currently need to find a place for my internship this summer in Cam. Any suggestions?
Reply 11
This is a local accommodation website that can be useful for finding rooms: http://www.brettward.co.uk/canb/. Good luck!
Reply 12
I'm in the same situation, have an internship this summer from 14 July to 14 September. Haven't found anything suitable on the web yet, so if anyone has any variants (e.g. houseshare) or advice - feel free to contact me.
Reply 13
Hi everyone, I'm *also* in the same situation, looking for cheap accommodation from July 14th until September 1st this summer (for me close-ish to St John's Innovation Centre/ Innovation Park). I will post updates as I find them
Reply 14
Hi, I'm in the same situation though I'm late June to late September so more like 3 months. Would like to be close to the science park
I was advised to look into gumtree and find something there or wait till mid may and
register at http://www.accommodation.cam.ac.uk/ apprantly it's possible to get a place in the colleges. I'm looking for something close to science park too - post if anything good comes up. None of the colleges seem to be close to it.
Original post by julius1618
I was advised to look into gumtree and find something there or wait till mid may and
register at http://www.accommodation.cam.ac.uk/ apprantly it's possible to get a place in the colleges. I'm looking for something close to science park too - post if anything good comes up. None of the colleges seem to be close to it.

The colleges are all quite a way from the science park. I live near Fitzwilliam college and it's about a 15 minute cycle to the science park - but that's very doable! I would advice asking your company - you might be able to get a shared house with other interns for the summer, and if the company's had interns before they might be able to help.

You could also look in Milton if you want to go to the science park. It's a lot cheaper and very close to the science park, although obviously you'll be in a village rather than a city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending