The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course 2013

Scroll to see replies

Congrats to all those that have heard back and got places :smile:

Curiously, it seems like the main Durham campus has replied but I'm yet to hear anyone mention Health & Human Science/Anthropology with foundation on Queen's campus.

Anyone (like me) applied there?

There also seems to be students (on the forum) that submitted in November-ish to BSc Anthropology that haven't heard anything yet... Is this general with that department maybe? It's making me feel better anyway.

I've never been sure how 'popular' anthropology is as whenever I mention it to people, they either reply with "Wow that's fascinating," or more commonly, "What's that?".
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
I have applied for a queens based foundation programme. I like the campus it seems really compact, friendly and the staff have been really helpful :smile: Oh and congrats to everyone who have received offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by criticalnature
Congrats to all those that have heard back and got places :smile:

Curiously, it seems like the main Durham campus has replied but I'm yet to hear anyone mention Health & Human Science/Anthropology with foundation on Queen's campus.

Anyone (like me) applied there?

There also seems to be students (on the forum) that submitted in November-ish to BSc Anthropology that haven't heard anything yet... Is this general with that department maybe? It's making me feel better anyway.

I've never been sure how 'popular' anthropology is as whenever I mention it to people, they either reply with "Wow that's fascinating," or more commonly, "What's that?".

I'm not sure how popular the course is, but I think (if i've got this right) there are only a few universities in the country that teach anthropology.
Original post by add4
I have applied for a queens based foundation programme. I like the campus it seems really compact, friendly and the staff have been really helpful :smile: Oh and congrats to everyone who have received offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! It's so nice to find someone :smile: I really like the campus and the people too. Do you mind me asking what course/college (if any) you applied to?

Original post by ebowey
I'm not sure how popular the course is, but I think (if i've got this right) there are only a few universities in the country that teach anthropology.

Yes. There's only about ten universities in the country that have an anthropology department/teach courses full time and about two that offer part-time only.

Durham is the only university (Oxford may now, although their Human Sciences course covers a bit of all subjects) that offers three disciplines of anthropology - biological, cultural and medical. Most courses cover biological and cultural anthropology.

Durham is also the only university that allows you the course with a foundation year, and thus access to the course if you do not meet the university entry criteria.

And yes, I am this nerdy/obsessed with my chosen field to have looked it all up :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Hi, yes it's fine to ask me. I have applied for one of the business courses and I have chosen Stephenson college :smile: I have received an email about the post application day etc. Are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
There are quite a few diff videos on YouTube for Anthropology at Durham. One is of a student explaining about her experience of the course etc. You may find it of interest :smile: The link is below. Hope it works

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4StF-AgnI

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
Hi, yes it's fine to ask me. I have applied for one of the business courses and I have chosen Stephenson college :smile: I have received an email about the post application day etc. Are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have applied to Stephenson too :smile: I prefer being next to the main buildings than treking across the campus - especially in the winter terms :P

Sadly, I haven't received anything but I'm still waiting for a reply to my application. Have you been accepted? I did email the foundation centre about the possibility of an interview and they said that I 'may' hear something this week - the specific timing is making me a little nervous.

I would definitely go, if possible. I live some 8 hours (via train) from Thornaby/Queen's Campus and am kitten sitting for most of March while a friend goes to Jamaica... If it pans out I'll definitely be visiting, if not during the actual open day.

Original post by add4
There are quite a few diff videos on YouTube for Anthropology at Durham. One is of a student explaining about her experience of the course etc. You may find it of interest :smile: The link is below. Hope it works

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4StF-AgnI

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo thanks for that. I've applied for Health & Human Science but it seems identical to the Anthropology course.
Reply 67
Yeah Stephenson looks good. I'm sure you will hear something soon I applied at the beginning of December and received an offer at the beginning of Jan. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking? Who knows we might meet at the open days and if not in October when the course begins. Good luck I'm sure you will get in you seem really passionate about your subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Hi all, just thought I would set up a thread for anyone who has been accepted, hold offers or are awaiting offers for 2013 entry. Just thought it would be cool for people to talk about the course, progression route, college, Durham or Queens based etc. Anyway if anyone fancies sharing feel free to comment below and who knows we may end up meeting at some point throughout next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by add4
Yeah Stephenson looks good. I'm sure you will hear something soon I applied at the beginning of December and received an offer at the beginning of Jan. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When did you apply if you don't mind me asking? Who knows we might meet at the open days and if not in October when the course begins. Good luck I'm sure you will get in you seem really passionate about your subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I did plan on applying late December, however our household got hit with the Christmas flu and so I sent my application in pre-January deadline. Not long ago, but I'm not good at simply waiting... or rather not being able to 'do' anything.

I hope I get in, although I do realise how competitive Durham is - its reputation (especially in anthropology) is one of the reasons I applied.
Reply 70
That's good so they will give your application equal consideration. I'm sure you will hear something soon. It is a stressful process. I kept looking at track and I was like please please! When I got my offer it was conditional and I got my results the next week so I was really worried. Luckily I passed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
I went up for a visit prior to applying and I had an informal chat etc. They are really friendly. I'm so glad I got an offer and I'm sure yours will follow soon. I just think now oh what is the work load going to be like etc and will I make friends because I'm seriously not that great at talking to new people :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by add4
I went up for a visit prior to applying and I had an informal chat etc. They are really friendly. I'm so glad I got an offer and I'm sure yours will follow soon. I just think now oh what is the work load going to be like etc and will I make friends because I'm seriously not that great at talking to new people :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do know that generally if you visit before applying, you seem to at least get a faster response as the staff remember you personally.

The workload is a bit daunting but I think its down to starting off being organised etc. Also, I know I'm not going to be going on all the pub crawls etc. Been there, done that. I'm social but I'd be more likely have a quiet coffee/drink in the college bar and focus on the work.

I'm sure you'll make friends - I'd be easy to find (being a wheelchair user) if offered a place :wink: University is filled with all different people, so you're bound to find at least one person you get on with. Also being quiet is not being anti-social, all my family are quiet/introverts - the most important thing is that you're studying what you like/love, which will help you be comfortable where you are and embrace the experience.

Sorry got a bit soapbox-y there, but I hope you get what I mean :smile:
Reply 73
Yes I do get what you mean. I'm the same id take a quiet drink over a night out any day haha. Thanks very much :smile: I'm sure you will get an offer. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
I have an offer for the Law with Foundation degree and I will be at Hatfield college!
Reply 75
Cool, I have an offer for business at Queens campus with foundation. Have you firmed your offer yet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Have any Home applying students received an email requesting a fee status form be filled out within 14 days from admissions?
Original post by Apatheist
Have any Home applying students received an email requesting a fee status form be filled out within 14 days from admissions?

Hmmm not so far... Did you completely fill in that section of the UCAS form? It may just be for confirmation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by criticalnature
Hmmm not so far... Did you completely fill in that section of the UCAS form? It may just be for confirmation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm sure I did. I got worried tha perhaps they'd mistaken me for an overseas applicant. So was checking if any other home applicants got the same form.
Reply 79
Original post by ebowey
Hi

I am currently studying on the foundation year at Durham University (going onto read theology). I thought to set up a thread for perspective students for 2013.

Any questions about the foundation centre:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/

also, I'm happy to answer any queries about the course and the university

Good luck to any applicants for 2013! :smile:

Hello. I'm applying for physics with foundation year, because the foundation year is on queens campus, and the remainder of the Bsc Physics is in durham city, when I'm applying for colleges do I apply for the ones on queens campus or in durham city?

Quick Reply

Latest