The Student Room Group

Final year students - Anyone not going to go to the graduation ceremony?

Just curious.

I don't think I'll bother.

Personally, I barely know anyone actually on my course. I don't feel as if I've even really done much throughout my degree and the whole thing seems like a waste of £60+ which I could spend doing something much more interesting.
Reply 1
I seriously considered not going to mine but caved in and had an enjoyable time. I also graduated at a different ceremony to most of the people I knew on my course, but the few that were there made a difference. I've been to 6 graduations (not all mine) and I can honestly say I enjoyed them all. I always winced at the cost and it can be unreasonable if you don't take steps to minimise the cost.

Yes there are other ways of spending £60, but if you have a change of heart after the event, you may not get another opportunity to go. In my experience it is very much an event for the family and those that have supported you through your studies. Ask your family members and supporters if they are interested in going.

You may be able to cut the expense down if you can find another student(s), similar size who is graduating the same week but before of after you. That way you could split the gown hire cost, as you can usually rent it for up to a week for less than 50% of the cost of the day hire. That way you can also use your own photographer and reduce the cost further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending