The Student Room Group

Not going to graduation.

I have decided that I won’t be going to my graduation ceremony since I find the whole thing pompous and absurd. The fact that you have to pay very expensive prices for a stupid cap and gown as well as tickets and photography also strengthens my decision. I also happen to have a massage session booked on the same day and I won’t be cancelling that.
Personal choice.

I think you may regret it in a decades time when university is less freshly lived & you want the photograph in your academic gown as a reminder of what you achieved, but the choice is yours. If you have family or friends who rooted of supported you, graduation is also a nice moment for them.
Reply 2
I won’t regret it with the passage of time I can assure you. If anything, I will probably regret going and paying obscene amounts of money. Also, my family are not bothered since they respect my choices. And finally, I certainly don’t need a photograph of me looking like a complete berk in an oversized gown and stupid hat.

Original post by mnot
Personal choice.

I think you may regret it in a decades time when university is less freshly lived & you want the photograph in your academic gown as a reminder of what you achieved, but the choice is yours. If you have family or friends who rooted of supported you, graduation is also a nice moment for them.
Original post by Loujay94
I won’t regret it with the passage of time I can assure you. If anything, I will probably regret going and paying obscene amounts of money. Also, my family are not bothered since they respect my choices. And finally, I certainly don’t need a photograph of me looking like a complete berk in an oversized gown and stupid hat.

Alright then what was the point of you posting here then were you expecting people to talk you into going ?
I have decided that I won’t be going to my graduation ceremony since I find the whole thing pompous and absurd. The fact that you have to pay very expensive prices for a stupid cap and gown as well as tickets and photography also strengthens my decision. I also happen to have a massage session booked on the same day and I won’t be cancelling that.

Ok
Reply 5
No. I’m just detailing my opinion about why graduation ceremonies are an absurd concept that do nothing but take your money.
Original post by user123456324
Alright then what was the point of you posting here then were you expecting people to talk you into going ?
Reply 6

You can earn money back but cant get time back
Reply 7
Original post by Marzini
You can earn money back but cant get time back

I have enjoyed my time at university and would do it all over again. I just don’t agree with the notion that I have to mark it with a ceremony to “close a chapter”.
Reply 8
I have enjoyed my time at university and would do it all over again. I just don’t agree with the notion that I have to mark it with a ceremony to “close a chapter”.

Nowadays it has a more a symbolic function than anything else (and yes, it adds to the university's coffers). In earlier days, though, it was quite literally the formal confirmation of your qualification - you had to have it conferred upon you by a senior academic, or else you hadn't got it. Personally I'm glad I went to my undergrad ceremony, though I didn't go to my master's graduation for precisely the reasons you've described. (Well, not the massage bit...)
slay tbh
Reply 10
Completely agree I never went to one graduation the idea of paying to dress up was costly and self-indulgent over celebrating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending