The Student Room Group

I have an issue, please help?

I have a slight weakness in chemistry, and the college course i am enrolling on studies a unit called biochemistry. Is biochemistry a lot to do with the periodic table and stuff like that, or is it a lot more biology based? If anyone can help, i would really appreciate it.

Dan.
Reply 1
It's not based upon the periodic table. Biochemistry deals with substances called proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, enzymes, nucleic acid. We do not have to study their chemical reactions and stuff like that. At A2 level, you have to study their properties, structure, important functions, role in cell and body etc. We study them in an integrating way with lesser chemistry. Even advanced level biochemistry is not all that chemistry--ish. It's a bit fun, of you get used to it. For which course are you taking it?
Original post by Dynamo123
It's not based upon the periodic table. Biochemistry deals with substances called proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, enzymes, nucleic acid. We do not have to study their chemical reactions and stuff like that. At A2 level, you have to study their properties, structure, important functions, role in cell and body etc. We study them in an integrating way with lesser chemistry. Even advanced level biochemistry is not all that chemistry--ish. It's a bit fun, of you get used to it. For which course are you taking it?

I dunno, at university the biochem I studied was pretty chemistry heavy; lots of thermodynamics etc.
Reply 3
Well, thermodynamics might fit in nicely with both biochem and biophysics
Reply 4

'BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in Health Science'

You can take a look at this too :

http://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/courses/695/btec-level-3-extended-diploma-health-science

I would appreciate it if you could take a look and give me your opinion, friend.

p.s This course in the 'What you learn' section, all of the units are more health based, such as Physiology and anatomy etc, which I really enjoy. It is just the single unit 'Biochemistry' that has me a little worried. I am aiming for DDD or DDM at the very least, so you can understand why this is worrying me a little bit. =-/

Thanks again

:smile::smile:

All the best,

Dan.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dan7744
'BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in Health Science'

You can take a look at this too :

http://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/courses/695/btec-level-3-extended-diploma-health-science

I would appreciate it if you could take a look and give me your opinion, friend.

p.s This course in the 'What you learn' section, all of the units are more health based, such as Physiology and anatomy etc, which I really enjoy. It is just the single unit 'Biochemistry' that has me a little worried. I am aiming for DDD or DDM at the very least, so you can understand why this is worrying me a little bit. =-/

Thanks again

:smile::smile:

All the best,

Dan.

I checked your course. They seem to put in a lot for your vocational degree. At the most, you won't study biochemistry in a detailed manner i.e. you will have to learn the basics, know a bit on how to implement them and that's it. You want have to go in for complex organic structures.

Mostly, biochemistry focuses on a more coherent relationship. You might get to study a few things like the properties of water, C etc. Then comes body macromolecules. These include proteins that make up 50% of dry body mass, sugary carbohydrates (non-scientifically) lipids (like fats and oils) and enzymes (bio-catalysts). You will only study their structure at a macro level (you won't have to study which element is linked to C, what is its molar mass etc). And I'm sure this will be really interesting, once you get usedto it.
I hope that answers the question. If you need anything more specific, then tell me. :smile:
Reply 6
I checked your course. They seem to put in a lot for your vocational degree. At the most, you won't study biochemistry in a detailed manner i.e. you will have to learn the basics, know a bit on how to implement them and that's it. You want have to go in for complex organic structures.

Mostly, biochemistry focuses on a more coherent relationship. You might get to study a few things like the properties of water, C etc. Then comes body macromolecules. These include proteins that make up 50% of dry body mass, sugary carbohydrates (non-scientifically) lipids (like fats and oils) and enzymes (bio-catalysts). You will only study their structure at a macro level (you won't have to study which element is linked to C, what is its molar mass etc). And I'm sure this will be really interesting, once you get usedto it.
I hope that answers the question. If you need anything more specific, then tell me. :smile:

This helps a lot. I contacted the course administrator, and she claims that with a C in science, I will manage just fine, there have been people who had a D in science still come out with DDD So yeh,

Thanks a lot for your assistance. :biggrin:

All the best,

Dan.

p.s, If I need any study help, I know who to come to :biggrin: *wink wink* hehe, take care mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending