The Student Room Group

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd?

Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seems like she just has an attitude problem and is probably a bit embarrassed about being ID'd - especially if she is actually of age!

I wouldn't worry about it, just take her with a pinch of salt and ask her to leave if she continually causes bother :smile:
Reply 2
maybe just remembered the wrong shop when she was talking about being served by a younger guy
It's annoying, but I blame the government and not the cashiers.
Reply 4
Interesting. How does mystery shoppers work exactly?

Where will they get evidence and so on?
Reply 5
She said she forgot her ID. Because she was being rude and raising her voice in front of other customers, I in return treated her bad. Customers gave her a dirty look, as they know we are a good store and usually never have problems.

This girl assumes that showing her ID 'twice' automatically means that EVERYONE that works at the store should just serve her.

I told her that I can't read other peoples brain nor am I looked up to one.

***** kept arguing and said she will report me to the manager. Please the manager won't do nothing. I've helped him a lot and I'm an asset to him. I've known him for years know ever since childhood. When I told him that the girl was going to report me, he laughed and said that he won't say much to her. He knows that I can get very aggressive when people **** me off, and he's aware that I will be treating this customer very differently next time.

I could just walk into a bookies and say 'I showed your boss my ID three times', and for sure I will get kicked out and so on. She's no different to any of us.
Nearly always happens to me! It feels like you're being singled out or discriminated, but if you have some rationale, you should realise that it's compulsory for those who look younger than their actual age to get asked, so you should respect that!
Reply 7
Some do, some don't. I've worked a couple of festival bars and I got a few people being shirty with me about it, the way I get over it is telling them "I'm not getting a three grand fine just so you can have a beer. Show me some ID or go away." Most people are pretty chill about it though and some people are even flattered lol.
Reply 8
Original post by enya227
Seems like she just has an attitude problem and is probably a bit embarrassed about being ID'd - especially if she is actually of age!

I wouldn't worry about it, just take her with a pinch of salt and ask her to leave if she continually causes bother :smile:

I won't be serving this customer with respect in the near future! Why should I forgive such scumbags.

Respect works both ways. She was uncooperative, rude and to be honest her English wasn't great. She claims she works in retail and yet she thinks it's alright to swear and so on.

Personally, I think that people swear because they know they are weak. I sometimes swear just to look tough, so I know. The fact that she was acting like this, could only lead to me thinking that she wasn't the right age or she was trying to hide something. Turns out, she was JUST over 18 after my manager looked at the CCTV footage. The manager has served her before, but the other workers have complained about her attitude as well. We all gonna treat her bad and we want to bar her but its the boss. He doesn't want any of it, even though cigarettes get you VERY VERY VERY LITTLE PROFIT and so on. We don't want money of ignorant people.
Reply 9
Original post by hamijack
Some do, some don't. I've worked a couple of festival bars and I got a few people being shirty with me about it, the way I get over it is telling them "I'm not getting a three grand fine just so you can have a beer. Show me some ID or go away." Most people are pretty chill about it though and some people are even flattered lol.

Thats true.

Don't want to go behind bars, lose £5K and cost my workplace their alcohol license, just because of one scumbag.

It's clear that people have feared this person, why else do you think she wanted to have a go at me.

I'm more than willing to take people on in an argument, I don't care about the 'Customer is right' policy stuff. Not having people abuse me in front of customers. Not only does it look weak, but it may traumatize or make customers lose trust of my store.
Reply 10
Original post by po10tial
Thats true.

Don't want to go behind bars, lose £5K and cost my workplace their alcohol license, just because of one scumbag.

It's clear that people have feared this person, why else do you think she wanted to have a go at me.

I'm more than willing to take people on in an argument, I don't care about the 'Customer is right' policy stuff. Not having people abuse me in front of customers. Not only does it look weak, but it may traumatize or make customers lose trust of my store.

In one of the bars I've worked at we had sign up that said "Rule 1: The barman is always right. Rule 2: If the barman is wrong refer to Rule 1." Your not obliged to serve anyone and if people give you lip for doing your job then **** them.
Reply 11
Not making excuses for her, at all, because her attitude is disgusting and she shouldn't have responded in that way, but she was perhaps a bit frustrated at being ID'd when she knows she's 18 and in her eyes "entitled" to the over 18 stuff, yet doesn't have an ID with her and is being refused service. Hence why she said "go get this person to prove it".

So in her frustration she's gotten way too angry when you're just doing your job. You did the right thing, but working in a shop and having abusive or rude customers is something every single employee experiences, you aren't alone or different there.

Next time try to stay calmer, and explain to her that by law you need to ask her for ID if she looks under 25. I know it might feel as though she won't listen. But if you ignore her anger and stay calm, she might surprise you and change her attitude.

I have to point out, that while I sympathise and agree with you on a certain level, you seem far too angry. As a relative of the boss, it's unlikely you'll lose your job. But any other workplace where this isn't the case, and being equally aggressive and argumentative back might cost you. No, the customer isn't always right, but it's simply good customer service to remain calm and firm but not aggressive or argumentative in these situations. It doesn't show weakness. It demonstrates security and decency and that you're worthy of respect to other customers.
I think it's just embarrassment really, not everyone is like that, challenge 25 is plastered on every surface in every supermarket these days, she should know that she should always have her ID on her-i wouldn't even try and buy alcohol if i didn't have ID on me.
I'm always a little confused when people simply refuse to show ID. If you're young and you're going out to buy 18+ restricted items, it's entirely sensible to take a passport/driving licence, and if you don't want to pay that much, you can get a logo with the PASS hologram for less than £14; you just run the risk of places not accepting it (usually door staff).

I only ever get frustrated when someone asks me for ID, I provide it, then they question it on completely arbitrary grounds. I had my provisional licence refused in Asda because it didn't have the EU flag on it like the pink one did on the poster on the till - I tried to explain that it wouldn't, because I can't drive in the EU on a provisional UK licence, but to no avail. Call a supervisor over and they say that once ID has been refused they can't overrule it. Submitted a complaint, heard nothing back, and had to phone up to make the point that staff working on checkouts need to be trained on what is and isn't valid ID.

Had it refused entry to a bar in a remote area because the address on it wasn't local enough.

On the other hand, been accepted into Walkabout just by showing my Holiday Inn Express card, which is plain white with a magstripe and a green arrow on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by deedee123
I think it's just embarrassment really, not everyone is like that, challenge 25 is plastered on every surface in every supermarket these days, she should know that she should always have her ID on her-i wouldn't even try and buy alcohol if i didn't have ID on me.

She even had the cheek to get someone else to buy it for her right in front of me.

She says she is going to report me, I know that won't go far. Boss won't do nothing, I've worked with him for years now in different stores. I'm a valuable asset to him.

I obviously never told her that. I know a lot of businesses and players in the area and all I have to do is just tell them about her and the next thing you know she will be barred everywhere.

She simply ****ed with the wrong guy in this case.
Reply 15
I find it weird that young people don't like being ID'd. I'd be a bit insulted if a cashier thought I looked over 25 when I was in fact 18 :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'm in my twenties and I don't get ID'd much.

If I do, I show them my ID. Thats it.

Most cashiers appreciate it when I show them ID. I don't argue or ask them how old they think I look. Why should I care anyway
Reply 17
I really do not understand why people get peed off at this.
The people who ask are only doing their job, to me it is just common practice to carry my ID with me, it's not hard is it?

I find it funny when I go out with work, there are a few that at my age, but most are around 30+ and they all laugh at me getting ID'd but admit it's because they wish they could get away with it because I'm 22!
I'm 26 this year and get asked for id 9 times out 10 I personally don't see the problem I would never go out or to a supermarket without my id and being asked makes me feel young still :biggrin:!! after all, they are only doing their job
It was probably that time of the month, OP.

I rarely get ID'd. During my 18th birthday, I was ID'd once, probably only because I was with people my age.

If I'm ID'd these days, I take it as a compliment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending