The Student Room Group

How to reduce the effects of a hangover?

OK before i start i'm not asking about CURES for a hangover just about how to reduce the effects

Basically in a few weeks i'm having a annual meal with some people from a sport club that i'm in (last meal before the end of year) and a friend asked me if she could get me drunk, and i agreed (it will be the first time i've been more than tipsy and i trust her enough to know that she won't get me so drunk that i'm voming)

So i KNOW that i'm gonna have a hangover the next morning, what i what to know is thier anything i can either just before i go to bed on that night, or the morning after to reduce the symptoms / effects (and please none of this 'just don't drink' malarcy

I remember someone telling me having some paracetamol and a big glass of water before bed sometimes helps
Reply 1
Drink lots of water before you go to bed and make sure you don't have to be up early the next day so you can sleep it all off. Works for me, worst I feel is sometimes a tender stomach :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Alxndra
Drink lots of water before you go to bed and make sure you don't have to be up early the next day so you can sleep it all off. Works for me, worst I feel is sometimes a tender stomach :smile:

it's on a friday night, so yeah i cna def sleep in, i won't have any assignment work to do, all i'll have is revision for 2 exams so
Original post by Tcrumpen
OK before i start i'm not asking about CURES for a hangover just about how to reduce the effects

Basically in a few weeks i'm having a annual meal with some people from a sport club that i'm in (last meal before the end of year) and a friend asked me if she could get me drunk, and i agreed (it will be the first time i've been more than tipsy and i trust her enough to know that she won't get me so drunk that i'm voming)

So i KNOW that i'm gonna have a hangover the next morning, what i what to know is thier anything i can either just before i go to bed on that night, or the morning after to reduce the symptoms / effects (and please none of this 'just don't drink' malarcy

I remember someone telling me having some paracetamol and a big glass of water before bed sometimes helps

Banana and a pint of water. Literally lay out a banana and a pint glass on your bed so you don't forget all about it. If you can, drink more than a pint. This literally NEVER fails me. Banana replenishes the potassium lost through alcohol consumption, water combats dehydration. I used to take a paracetamol too but I read a scary report about it and choose not to now, however many of my friends do it and swear by it. But seriously, water and a banana. Makes the world of difference
Reply 4
Loads of water and painkillers if you need them, some people find fried food helpful if you can stomach it. I like downing some fruit juice and finding a willing victim to cuddle with for an hour or so until I feel less like the undead.
Reply 5
Original post by Damask-
I like downing some fruit juice

This. Orange juice is good.

OP, it's a hangover; you don't really need to take preventive action weeks before the event.

Worst case scenario ('code red' as it's known in my house), you will be curled up under a blanket all day, shivering pathetically and trying (and failing) to piece together events that may or may not have taken place the night before. Eventually you will fall asleep and wake up that evening vowing never to drink again. If you have any sense, you will immediately head to the pub (your housemates will have left a note informing you that they are already there) for a few pints to regain your senses. Rinse and repeat. That has been my general worst case scenario experience anyway. :cool:
Reply 6
Drink lots of water before you go to bed is #1. I've managed to avoid some grizzly hangovers by forcing myself to drink a lot of water before sleeping (when you're drunk and tired it's very tempting just to go straight to bed... resist!). I like to eat some food as well to be safe. Might just be a placebo effect but I've found eating bread in particular is fairly helpful.

On the morning after, get some easy food ready, and if you can then just sleep it off.
Just before you go to bed, have a cup of tea (ideally with a bit of sugar in) and two slices of toast. Works a treat.
Reply 8
If you're going to drink lager then you'll feel like crap.
Try real ales or guiness or german weisse beer instead.

Best hangover cure is a full english and mug of builders tea if you must drink that lager ****e.
Get food after the night out. Chips cheese and mayonaise from Bistro does it for me :P Any Glaswegians will know about Bistro :P

But like everyone says, lots of water and bread seem to do the trick too.
Drink lots of water before going to sleep. Eat a takeaway. Have a paracetamol. Sleep it off! Wake up and drink tons more water and have another paracetamol. Revise lying down.

The worst that could happen is what happened to me. I passed out in a club, got threw out and was taken home and woke up the next day unable to remember anything. I was throwing up all day, had a fever and headache and couldn't even have a drink of water because I kept throwing it back up. Seriously it was the mother of all hangovers. If someone would have come in and offered to shoot me I'd have gladly died because I felt that ill :')

Swore I would never drink again, but one day later I was back out. Albiet I learned my lesson and have never been that drunk again haha.

Enjoy your first hangover OP! ;D
Reply 11
I'm sensing a theme here, seems like what i was told was actually correct for once :P, reason why i don't ask for cures is two things, no point trying to cure the invetittable and 2) hangover cures are kinda of a myth
Reply 12
Original post by kpwxx
Oh also, try to drink lighter coloured drinks. They tend to give you less of a hangover (not a myth, have a google... It's something about the cause of their colour. Would link but on the app)

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

Well i only drink cider and spirits, i know you're not supposed to mix drinks, but i will prob end up doing something like 2/3 pints of cider then go for some shots (or cocktails)
Reply 13
Eat French toast. I had a bad hangover a few days ago and I felt like I was dying and my boyfriend made me some French toast and I honestly thought I would puke if I ate it but man, within ten mins after eating it, I felt human again!

Irn Bru and a bacon roll also helps!
Reply 14
I have the ultimate cure for a hangover. Basically what you do do is:

Not drink alcohol? :cool:
Reply 15
Drink at least 2 pints of water before going to sleep.

I wouldn't worry about eating before sleeping.

A slice or two of cold pizza when you wake up (straight from the fridge!).

Sorted and ready for another day.
Reply 16
I don't know if any of this has any biological validity, but what seems to work for my friends and I:

Drink lots of water before bed, sometimes a bit of bread to soak up some leftover alcohol in the stomach because it's not a great nights sleep on a sloshy stomach :frown:

Continue drinking lots in the morning - lots of water because you might be dehydrated still, a glass of juice (not loads because it's all sugary and acidic), and try a cold fizzy drink if you feel a bit ill.

You feel like crap so have something healthy for breakfast. Temptation is to go straight for the big fry up or cold leftovers. I always give in to this myself, but friends say eating healthier makes you feel fresher and better.

If you need to puke, puke. Instant relief trust me. I always bounce back.

Oh and try not to mix drinks. Mixing similar drinks isn't too much of a big deal. I.e. swapping mixers around or switching vodka for another similar spirit drink. It's more when you have wine, plus beer, plus spirits, plus mixing very different spirits (e.g. of what I mean: my friend likes the "red death" jagerbomb. Red bull, jagermeister, and vodka. Sometimes with beer to) that you get a bad hangover. For us, anyway. Try and stick to the same sort of drink.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending