The Student Room Group

Sixth form won't let me do sciences.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I know that feel, well done in getting in your subjects, originally they were only gonna let me take ICT and double media, but in the end I still couldn't do sciences but managed to do maths, further maths econ and history, I absolutely hate that my B,C in science acted as a barrier and now I'm disadvantaged when applying for a maths uni course, well done though mate
Reply 41
Original post by sean170296
Had an interview with the college today. They've allowed me to do

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Psychology

soo happy!

That's great news, good luck. :-)
Reply 42
Thank you... Just the problem of telling my sixth form that I am leaving at the end of the year :confused:
It's for your own good. If you got C grades at GCSE you're going to really, really struggle with A level. I got an A in biology GCSE and I find A level really challenging. If I was you I'd just accept that it's not a good idea to go against your teachers recommendations and choose something else. :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by bad_moose
It's for your own good. If you got C grades at GCSE you're going to really, really struggle with A level. I got an A in biology GCSE and I find A level really challenging. If I was you I'd just accept that it's not a good idea to go against your teachers recommendations and choose something else. :smile:
Oh yeah and then pick a bunch of ****ty subjects and realise when he wants to do science hes stuck with irrelevant subjects, at alevel I thought it was about challenging and pushing yourself not taking the easy way out
You aren't good enough. Face up to it.
Original post by Robbie242
Oh yeah and then pick a bunch of ****ty subjects and realise when he wants to do science hes stuck with irrelevant subjects, at alevel I thought it was about challenging and pushing yourself not taking the easy way out

Well, assuming that every subject bar Biology, Chemistry and Physics is ****ty then yes. But that's obviously not the case so it's a fairly stupid point.
I'm not telling him to take the easy way out, I'm telling him to listen to his teachers and not end up with bad grades at A level. There's no point trying to push yourself into something you're not capable of doing. It's much better to get a good set of grades in slightly easier subjects than it is to fail a load of harder ones.
Reply 47
Original post by bad_moose
Well, assuming that every subject bar Biology, Chemistry and Physics is ****ty then yes. But that's obviously not the case so it's a fairly stupid point.
I'm not telling him to take the easy way out, I'm telling him to listen to his teachers and not end up with bad grades at A level. There's no point trying to push yourself into something you're not capable of doing. It's much better to get a good set of grades in slightly easier subjects than it is to fail a load of harder ones.

Moreso, I should've said irrelevant subjects as the main point.

Who said that he is not capable of alevels? what defines an individuals capabilities? their ability to regurgitate information in an exam? their high IQ from birth? GCSEs don't. and I repeat, do not define an individuals capabilities, I've seen students with A*'s at gcse get B's and C's at alevel (its happening in my maths class right now) Whilst people on B's are getting A's/full marks at AS level. It entirely depends on his work ethic and the OP seems to have the right idea.

I disagree, its better to try and fail in hard subjects than to take everything studies and get a streak of passes/merits/distinctions. But that's just my opinion
Moreso, I should've said irrelevant subjects as the main point.

Who said that he is not capable of alevels? what defines an individuals capabilities? their ability to regurgitate information in an exam? their high IQ from birth? GCSEs don't. and I repeat, do not define an individuals capabilities, I've seen students with A*'s at gcse get B's and C's at alevel (its happening in my maths class right now) Whilst people on B's are getting A's/full marks at AS level. It entirely depends on his work ethic and the OP seems to have the right idea.

I disagree, its better to try and fail in hard subjects than to take everything studies and get a streak of passes/merits/distinctions. But that's just my opinion

Well obviously there's no real way to be certain but looking at this guys GCSE grades, it doesn't seem probably that he'll manage A level sciences. Obviously there's a chance that he'll do alright but I don't think it's worth the risk. Colleges set these boundaries because the general trend that they've seen in the past is that people with below a grade B don't usually do very well.

I don't really understand that. All it does is tell employers is that you're a bad judge of your own ability and block you from doing a load of subjects at Uni. There are plenty of other subjects worth doing that aren't Biology, Chemistry of Physics that this guy would be more capable of.
I got 4A* 3A 3B at GCSE and I do 3 sciences and Maths and get on the very best

Most people on this site would ridicule me as I only got a measly 4A*s :rolleyes:
It's a big shame that people are being actively discouraged from taking subjects that they are very keen on. I can understand the colleges dissuading someone if (statistically speaking) they may go on to affect their league table standings, even if I don't agree with it. I'm more surprised that other students are saying it's inevitable that someone won't cope simply because they didn't fly at GCSE. People mature at different rates.
Reply 51
Original post by tangledweb
It's a big shame that people are being actively discouraged from taking subjects that they are very keen on. I can understand the colleges dissuading someone if (statistically speaking) they may go on to affect their league table standings, even if I don't agree with it. I'm more surprised that other students are saying it's inevitable that someone won't cope simply because they didn't fly at GCSE. People mature at different rates.

Finally a good post, people don't understand that people develop at different times, I found my school very unhelpful in letting pursue my interest in science (as I got C's and B's at gcse) I even had to self-teach further maths because they wouldn't let me in without an A its just really disheartening that schools do this, and as a result instead of 4sciences I have 2 maths and history + economics which wasn't really my desired set of alevels at first tbh
Finally a good post, people don't understand that people develop at different times, I found my school very unhelpful in letting pursue my interest in science (as I got C's and B's at gcse) I even had to self-teach further maths because they wouldn't let me in without an A its just really disheartening that schools do this, and as a result instead of 4sciences I have 2 maths and history + economics which wasn't really my desired set of alevels at first tbh

Alevels should provide an opportunity for a fresh start

A schools position in the league tables should not become before a persons desire to study a certain field of science. It's disgusting that schools do this...

Brian Cox got a D in Alevel Maths, what if Manchester would have rejected him a place a Manchester? I didn't do the best at GCSE as I simply didn't apply myself

It's became apparent in todays society that intelligence is based on nothing more than a set of GCSE grades in which any one could get 10A* if they tried..but most people don't
Original post by upthegunners

Brian Cox got a D in Alevel Maths, what if Manchester would have rejected him a place a Manchester?

When he went to Manchester, it wasn't even a pre-requisite to have studied mathematics at A level at all to be given an offer. It's a bit different these days.
Reply 54
Original post by upthegunners
Alevels should provide an opportunity for a fresh start

A schools position in the league tables should not become before a persons desire to study a certain field of science. It's disgusting that schools do this...

Brian Cox got a D in Alevel Maths, what if Manchester would have rejected him a place a Manchester? I didn't do the best at GCSE as I simply didn't apply myself

It's became apparent in todays society that intelligence is based on nothing more than a set of GCSE grades in which any one could get 10A* if they tried..but most people don't

Exactly... I just find it ridiculous the people with 10A*'s get constantly bumlicked (ass kissed) to take peoples subjects further, but then with me and others its a constant struggle to get into any subject at all...

League tables just piss me off, my maths teachers bring up datasheets all the time as if we were data and hes like ''oh were performing here!'' when himself as a teacher, hes not really helping me succeed the most, the individuals at state schools that manage to buckle up and do outside revision due to poor teaching facilities.

Exactly the same, I was a very no life person last year played world of warcraft all the time (too much) but quit shortly after my gcse results. I only worked hard for maths because they stuck me in foundation for everything, so the max I could come out with was a C. (until they finally realised foundation is a peace of ****)

Even top institutes who'd you think to be the epitome of snobbery, are clearly not, cambridge for example doesn't even care about how many A*'s you have, they care more about post 16 performance.

Yes it seems I have to wait until AS results to prove my teachers wrong supposedly, why do I need to wait for results to prove somebody wrong? I just find it really ****ed up how I just get predicted my January results, like seriously? they didn't even put effort in, they just said we predict what you got in January is what you'll get in the summer.

Anyway I agree with everything you say, and when I get my AS results (If AAAB) I will seriously file a complaint directly through the school about their influenced snobbery and league tables
Reply 55
For all the counter examples people who get b at maths gsce will tend to struggle at a level. It is partially teachers job to use their experience to decide whether you should do certain subjects.
Reply 56
Original post by cloud1
For all the counter examples people who get b at maths gsce will tend to struggle at a level. It is partially teachers job to use their experience to decide whether you should do certain subjects.

The key word here is ''tend''. It is not total, the system is flawed because it does not take into account exceptions.
Reply 57
The key word here is ''tend''. It is not total, the system is flawed because it does not take into account exceptions.

that is why teachers should use experience hopefully to tell whether the student will either do well or enjoy or both.
I am currently trying to A level Maths (the sciences are now full unfortunately). I originally tried to apply, but for science, I met all the requirements, I got a B in core science, an A in additional science, but I missed one requirement, the B needed in Maths!!!! I got a C in Maths, and even worse is the fact I WAS ONLY FIVE MARKS OFF A B!. I have asked some other people today, and they got Bs in their Maths, I know feel like the only stupid one, and feel locked out that I couldn't do Physics and Maths. I could cry about it....but nah.

A woman there said she'll send out enquiries for me about going into A level maths, but said she highly doubts. Its kind enough she'll do the enquiries because at out sixth form college, the deadline has passed. The opportunity to change was the first 3 weeks of term.

The way you say striving makes it sound so easy. What shall I do? I really want AS Maths, and they're wasting more term time by not letting me in. I NEED IT.

I want to be an astronaut you see. I know its a long shot, I know they only choose 6 astronauts out of 8000+ qualified applications only when they're hiring, but I at least want to apply when they do have open vacancies for astronaut, likely in the 2020s or 30s.

I feel like yelling, I am angry at myself, and frustrated with reality, and just...sad. :-(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending