The Student Room Group

22 August 2013 GCSE results: Grade boundaries

Thursday 22 August GCSE results day - Grade Boundaries

TSR wishes the best of luck to all those collecting results. Many exam boards will release the UMS grade boundaries before they release your actual results. This thread will serve 2 functions; to provide quick links to the grade boundaries for each exam board when they are released and to ask and answer any questions relating to grade boundaries. But please read the FAQs before posting.

We will aim to update this thread as soon as the grade boundaries are released. If you find any useful official links that have been made public but are not hyperlinked in this thread then please post in this thread, quoting a moderator so that the link can be added.

Published grade boundaries

Please visit the Results day discussion thread for general results discussion. If you would like to share your results and predictions then please visit the Post your results thread. For those of you who are disappointed, please visit the thread Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here! for further guidance.

FAQs

What do the boundaries mean?
The boundaries will show you the raw mark on a paper required to achieve a particular grade. For example, a particular Geography module may have a C grade boundary of 64/90 raw marks.

These are only grade boundaries for individual modules. Your overall grade at GCSE will be determined by all of the modules you have taken. Therefore, for example, it is possible to achieve an A* overall even if your coursework is an A.

A quick reminder; an E is 40%, a D is 50%, a C is 60%, a B is 70%, an A is 80% and an A* is 90%. These are UMS marks, not raw marks. The grade boundaries will tell you what raw mark is required for ecah UMS mark.

Why do the boundaries change?
Grade boundaries reflect the modular GCSE system. In the interest of fairness, a particular level of performance on a paper should be awarded the same grade irregardless of the inferred difficulty of the paper. Therefore, grade boundaries will change accordingly, so that a fair comparison can be made. This is also the basis for the uniform marking system (UMS) (see more here). Essentially, if a paper has a lot of challenging questions and a lot of candidates struggle, the grade boundaries will be lower; and vice versa.

I am just below a grade boundary - what should I do?
Firstly, note that your grades in individual modules are not that important. What is most important is your overall grade in a GCSEl. You can get an A* overall in a subject even if a few of your modules are As - so concentrate on the hollistic grade.

If your overall grade is a few marks below a higher grade boundary, then you may want to consider a remark of certain modules. For more information and advice visit the thread Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

When are the grade boundaries going to be released
Original post by Aneesah_May
When are the grade boundaries going to be released

The day before results, most likely. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Illusionary
The day before results, most likely. :smile:

I was also wondering the same thing, thanks.
Reply 4
sub
Original post by MAyman12
sub

There's no need to post to subscribe to the thread. :nah: Just use the "watch" button next to the thread title at the top of the page. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Illusionary
There's no need to post to subscribe to the thread. :nah: Just use the "watch" button next to the thread title at the top of the page. :smile:

I didn't know that:tongue: Thanks.
Reply 7
CIE isn't on your list...where can I find the CIE grade boundaries when they're released?
Original post by Molly_xox
CIE isn't on your list...where can I find the CIE grade boundaries when they're released?

To my knowledge, they don't actually publish grade boundaries in a publicly-accessible location, unfortunately. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong, though, if anyone is able to find an official source! :smile:
Might as well just wait for your results the next day if the grade boundaries going to be released a day before.
Good luck to everyone! It's so hard to just sit, wait and do nothing! :frown: For me the results have always been at the back of my mind since the day after my last exam!
Reply 11
Original post by QueenOfAmber
Good luck to everyone! It's so hard to just sit, wait and do nothing! :frown: For me the results have always been at the back of my mind since the day after my last exam!

Same here, What makes it worse is my brother gets his alevels this Thursday, and I have to wait another week :frown: also I really don't think I've done that well
Reply 12
Do CCEA publish any raw mark boundaries or is it only uniform mark ones? I can only find spreadsheets with uniform marks - and they don't change :tongue:
Original post by mollyh77
Do CCEA publish any raw mark boundaries or is it only uniform mark ones? I can only find spreadsheets with uniform marks - and they don't change :tongue:

That's all I could find too. The CCEA site is awful!
Reply 14
Original post by mollyh77

I can't find any raw mark boundaries for CCEA either for the most previous exam seasons. :no: They have published raw mark boundaries in the past though (like in 2007) so still do keep an eye out. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by usycool1
I can't find any raw mark boundaries for CCEA either for the most previous exam seasons. :no: They have published raw mark boundaries in the past though (like in 2007) so still do keep an eye out. :smile:
I had issues with this last year. As far as I remember, CCEA don't release raw mark boundaries. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Pandora.
I had issues with this last year. As far as I remember, CCEA don't release raw mark boundaries. :smile:

Original post by usycool1

Thanks! :smile: Guess CCEA are just an awkward exam board :tongue: pity all my exams were with them!
I'll be quick on the draw for WJEC :ninja:

I really don't want a repeat of today, or else I refuse to go to college :unimpressed:
I'd love to know the raw boundaries for Maths (CCEA).
Reply 19
AQA English Language?

Quick Reply

Latest