The Student Room Group

Advice Needed

For AS I'm taking History, Maths, F Maths, Physics and Biology.
After January exams I got A in D1,S1 and Biology with a C in Physics.

The work is too much for me at the moment and I'm really struggling in FM despite a good D1 grade and I was also hoping to improve Physics so I'm doing a retake.

My question is, should I drop Further Maths to have free periods and in general less stress or would it be stupid considering I've nearly learnt the whole course. If I put a lot of time in I may be able to do well in it but I'm hoping to drop it after AS anyway and may have an affect on my other exams. Also at this moment I have no clue what I want to do at Uni providing I do we'll enough and if I want to do Maths, would dropping FM hinder this?
At this rate I might take History Maths Biology onto A2 but they don't go whatsoever despite being my best subjects. Biology courses need Chemistry or Geography so that doesn't really help me. Just need some advice please on what's the best route I should take. Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by The Monk
For AS I'm taking History, Maths, F Maths, Physics and Biology.
After January exams I got A in D1,S1 and Biology with a C in Physics.

The work is too much for me at the moment and I'm really struggling in FM despite a good D1 grade and I was also hoping to improve Physics so I'm doing a retake.

My question is, should I drop Further Maths to have free periods and in general less stress or would it be stupid considering I've nearly learnt the whole course. If I put a lot of time in I may be able to do well in it but I'm hoping to drop it after AS anyway and may have an affect on my other exams. Also at this moment I have no clue what I want to do at Uni providing I do we'll enough and if I want to do Maths, would dropping FM hinder this?
At this rate I might take History Maths Biology onto A2 but they don't go whatsoever despite being my best subjects. Biology courses need Chemistry or Geography so that doesn't really help me. Just need some advice please on what's the best route I should take. Cheers.

Further Maths is not a requirement for most universities to do maths.
The AS is beneficial however, though if you're struggling as much as you say perhaps its not for you.
At the end of the day its your call. There are plenty of courses out there for your subjects, you just need to pick one. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
Further Maths is not a requirement for most universities to do maths.
The AS is beneficial however, though if you're struggling as much as you say perhaps its not for you.
At the end of the day its your call. There are plenty of courses out there for your subjects, you just need to pick one. :smile:

Cheers I just feel its a bit stupid dropping a subject a few weeks before an exam when the course is finished but I really am not confident I can get a good grade considering I've got to spread my time out on other subjects.

Also can I use D1 instead of mechanics for A2, I managed to get an A in it which I was delighted with but wouldn't want to just throw it down the drain as it was a "lower" A than in Stats
Reply 3
Original post by The Monk
Cheers I just feel its a bit stupid dropping a subject a few weeks before an exam when the course is finished but I really am not confident I can get a good grade considering I've got to spread my time out on other subjects.

Also can I use D1 instead of mechanics for A2, I managed to get an A in it which I was delighted with but wouldn't want to just throw it down the drain as it was a "lower" A than in Stats

Yes, you can use D1 instead of mechanics.
If you're that close you may as well do it, unless of course you think that your other grades will be SIGNIFICANTlY worse if you do or you think that you would get a poor mark and there's no point to it.

Quick Reply

Latest