The Student Room Group

Britain is tacky and cheap

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HumanSupremacist
The United States was always diverse as a result of its history - I don't see why that's a problem. In any case, it's still about 70something% White American so I don't see what you're on about.

In big cities (the only part of the USA worth living in), it's certainly not 70% white.
Reply 21
An interesting point :holmes:

Though tomorrow I'll be riding my bike up to some ancient woodland as it's the only place to pick wild garlic, fresh for our family pub's kitchen. While a lot of the UK can be cheap and tacky, I feel you're looking in the wrong places :erm:
Original post by Chadya
In big cities (the only part of the USA worth living in), it's certainly not 70% white.

And? Not only is globalism the new thing, the United States was always fairly diverse as a result of its history. Why exactly would it need to be "White" in general?
Reply 23
no, most places in america are ****holes full of scum its just that we only see the good side, the south of the US is basically a cesspit of inbreds.
your view of America is soooo old fashioned! I think you need to go traveling to get a sense of perspective
Original post by holmes221
only if you take the delusional, blind one from poundland out of yours.

OH no! peasant shops! This country is going 100% to the dogs!
For a few years now I can't help but feel that Britain is overall a pretty tacky nation. Perhaps I have been sold by the image of the american dream but theres a number of things.

Our film industry is majority low budget, usually a indie romance flick or such

Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)

Outside of London lots of boring small towns and villages, with little culture or value for younger people

People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners

In america it seems like an idea could really propel you into wealth, for example if you are a 21 year old nerd you could create something like facebook and become a billionaire

No decent beaches or place to go on holiday that isnt a caravan type package type deal, a visit to a medieval town which gets boring after a day

Copying of other cultures hard a**edly ie cafe culture, and other Americanisms

Stupid low budget television, reality shows

Snobby Undeserved entitlement that people show/ insecure

club life-Repressed Wannabee thuggish types who are all gob, but when it comes to it they can't attract a girl or are even to shy to try

The whole getting a kebab or mcdonalds after going to a bar/club

The whole no sex please we're British thing

I was born in Britain

the title sounds like a statement from a general studies question.
Reply 27
Original post by sam2592
You've watched to many american films.

Posted from TSR Mobile

too
Reply 28
There are so many silly things wrong with the initial post... your premises for judging the entire nation are pretty silly by my tacky standards! Chicken shops, indie romance and a massively generalised view of everything else? Really?

I would say that (for some good reasons, some bad) the UK has some of the most impressive and long standing institutions on the planet, with a fantastically rich cultural history and a very promising cosmopolitan future :smile: I also think all this tradition stuff gives us a fair bit of integrity on the international stage, which I certainly wouldn't dismiss as tacky :tongue:
Reply 29
Also, why do you hate kebabs? What are you? A man or a mouse, sir?
Lolled at the title.
For a few years now I can't help but feel that Britain is overall a pretty tacky nation. Perhaps I have been sold by the image of the american dream but theres a number of things.

Our film industry is majority low budget, usually a indie romance flick or such

Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)

Outside of London lots of boring small towns and villages, with little culture or value for younger people

People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners

In america it seems like an idea could really propel you into wealth, for example if you are a 21 year old nerd you could create something like facebook and become a billionaire

No decent beaches or place to go on holiday that isnt a caravan type package type deal, a visit to a medieval town which gets boring after a day

Copying of other cultures hard a**edly ie cafe culture, and other Americanisms

Stupid low budget television, reality shows

Snobby Undeserved entitlement that people show/ insecure

club life-Repressed Wannabee thuggish types who are all gob, but when it comes to it they can't attract a girl or are even to shy to try

The whole getting a kebab or mcdonalds after going to a bar/club

The whole no sex please we're British thing

I was born in Britain

I don't know about being sold the American dream, but you definitely have a completely different view of Britain than myself - I was not only born in Britain, I am still here.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Reply 33
I wish Britain would be more optimistic and less self hating.
Hate it when people say "I can't wait to get out of this country".
Reply 34
Original post by navyspaces
There are so many silly things wrong with the initial post... your premises for judging the entire nation are pretty silly by my tacky standards! Chicken shops, indie romance and a massively generalised view of everything else? Really?

I would say that (for some good reasons, some bad) the UK has some of the most impressive and long standing institutions on the planet, with a fantastically rich cultural history and a very promising cosmopolitan future :smile: I also think all this tradition stuff gives us a fair bit of integrity on the international stage, which I certainly wouldn't dismiss as tacky :tongue:

Yes perhaps my view is slightly bias towards London
Reply 35
"many settle with ugly partners"

Are you ridiculous? Surely, if people where to search and search and only marry the typically 'beautiful' people, THAT would be 'cheap' and 'tacky'? Perhaps we care about important things like personality, and compatibility, or common interests. Sorry if you think personality, and having things is common, is 'tacky' or 'cheap'.
Reply 36
yeh I am and really bored of it

Well why don't you leave then? :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 37
breezewood.jpg

4146669098_44f957ac32_z.jpg

That right there is most of America outside of Manhattan. I drive down to North Carolina quite frequently to visit relatives and I can assure you that there's just as much tackiness in America, if not more. I've never seen anything like that in Britain, and while it's true that Britain seems tackier compared to Europe, to suggest that it's worse than the US is quite a stretch.
Reply 38
Original post by Kateislate
I think this is an extreme case of "the grass is always greener on the other side"
I, for one, am so glad to be British. And I much prefer our film AND Television industry.

same, did you see what America did to inbetweeners op? Horrific. :angry:
Reply 39
Original post by lornarose
Well why don't you leave then? :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Would you like to give me the money to do so? Its not just a case of leaving

Quick Reply

Latest