The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yodawg321
Mate, SUVAT comes on every paper lol. trilateration/Galileos will not come up. They will never ask the Same questions twice in a row lol

SUVAT hasn't come up on every paper (atleast not long detailed questions), and sometimes some questions are repeated, thats what I've found anyways.
Original post by brawlerpit
SUVAT hasn't come up on every paper (atleast not long detailed questions), and sometimes some questions are repeated, thats what I've found anyways.

Long Detailed SUVAT? Max Suvat question I've seen was 4 marks lol
Reply 82
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for G481 Jan 2013, what would 48 be?
Reply 83
Original post by zcanf

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/128198-unit-level-raw-mark-grade-boundaries-january-2013.pdf
According to this a you needed 41 for an A
Long Detailed SUVAT? Max Suvat question I've seen was 4 marks lol

There was no SUVAT question in the Jan 2011 paper.
By long, I mean a whole section for it, just a possibility considering the lack of SUVAT questions in the Jan 2013 paper.
can someone explain question 7 part c in the January 13 paper please :s-smilie:
Original post by zcanf

41/60 for an A.
Original post by madrevision
please do and please if you have time can you add what we might need to know for springs in series as I did not understand this when it was taught :colondollar: thanks

Hmm, looking at the spec it doesn't mention springs in series or parallel directly, I think they would just want you to know that the spring constant for a system of springs changes if you add/remove some. But if you insist :smile: the formulas for springs in parallel and series are opposite to the ones for resistances in series and parallel.
i.e. For springs that are side by side like this === Then the new Spring constant is just the sum of the two springs so KNew= Kold1 + Kold2​
For springs that are in series like this --spring1---spring2--- Then the new spring constant can be calculated from 1/KNew = 1/Kold1 + 1/Kold2​
Original post by zcanf

42 for an A
Also here is the mess of my revision notes for mechanics.
They do not go into SUVAT in detail as I do M1 and also some bits are just extra strange things I was thinking of at the time.
Lastly lots of it is paraphrased from the book and some from Wikipedia.
Original post by dakenSoren
They do not go into SUVAT in detail as I do M1 and also some bits are just extra strange things I was thinking of at the time.

Cheers for that, will give it a read before going to bed. For the springs how will you be able to get the new force? The 2 constants times the total extension?
wordy...very well worded and detailed, thank you so much:biggrin:
Hmm, looking at the spec it doesn't mention springs in series or parallel directly, I think they would just want you to know that the spring constant for a system of springs changes if you add/remove some. But if you insist :smile: the formulas for springs in parallel and series are opposite to the ones for resistances in series and parallel.
i.e. For springs that are side by side like this === Then the new Spring constant is just the sum of the two springs so KNew= Kold1 + Kold2​
For springs that are in series like this --spring1---spring2--- Then the new spring constant can be calculated from 1/KNew = 1/Kold1 + 1/Kold2​

oh ok cool thanks dude :smile:
Cheers for that, will give it a read before going to bed. For the springs how will you be able to get the new force? The 2 constants times the total extension?

I still doubt they want you to know the formulas for series/parallel springs but you would use the new spring constant * the extension.
So for parallel it would be FNew = ( Kold1 + Kold2​)*extension = (KNew)*Extension.

Whereas for series its FNew = (
1/Kold1 + 1/Kold2​)^-1 * extension =
(1/KNew)^-1 * extension
Original post by JASApplications
I've just had a quick look through all the past papers and I don't think the experiment to find the centre of gravity has ever actually come up has it?

look at JAN 09 question 4d) its there. centre of gravity
Original post by Piguy
If any of you are interested, I've got my UMS calculator based on last years boundaries, which was about an average series (unlike jan 2013 which was a bit more difficult)

Thank you for taking the time to create this! So this is a prediction of what the grade boundaries for the coursework and papers will be like?
Does anyone know where I can find the January 2013 mechanics paper ?? I keep only getting the mark scheme :/
Reply 97
what if i told you, i bypassed the ocr servers and i have the exam paper that we are going to do on monday.
Original post by Joseph-
what if i told you, i bypassed the ocr servers and i have the exam paper that we are going to do on monday.

You're clearly working for OCR and will rat all the people who are going to PM you now. :biggrin:
Reply 99
Original post by Joseph-

I hope this is a joke:/

Latest

Trending

Trending