The Student Room Group

AQA English language + Literature

Hi,
I am in year 11 and I have a few English exams coming up. I enjoy English but an A seems to be impossible for me,I did my first English exam in January 2013;I got a grade B(few marks of an A),I was really annoyed because me and my teacher both knew I was capable of the grade A. But I have done an English literature unit 2 mock and I got a grade B(few marks of A!!!!) and I did another mock for English language got a grade B(1 mark of an A). These mocks have really lowered my self belief in the fact that I am not capable of getting my personal target of either 2A/A*.Does anyone have an idea on what I can do to make my writing worthy of an A grade any advice will be greatly appreciated.
To be honest it's most likely down to HOW you write, not WHAT you're writing. What you are writing is obviously good and stylish and is of relevance when referring back to the question. The difference between a B and an A grade is your writing. Make sure you write with confidence and make your writing original. That's all that I can give you to be honest. GCSE Examiners love English students who write in a coherent, orderly, sophisticated manner.
Reply 2
Thank you I will try and be more original.English is a difficult subject in the sense that I don't know how someone can give 30 odd marks for one question!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobo123
Thank you I will try and be more original.English is a difficult subject in the sense that I don't know how someone can give 30 odd marks for one question!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the difficulty of English, but I can tell you a few pointers of what examiners want A/A* students to do in their answer(s) - (depending on the question, exam board and Assessment Objectives):

Aware of the story: as a construction

Looks at characterisation, not character

Cross-references between different parts of the text, where appropriate

Sophisticated appreciation of the writer's language

Aware of themes

Embedded quotations

Sophisticated interpretation of character

Effective, exploration of writer's use of language and technique

Succinct reference to the plot - does not attempt to retell the story

Writes in a clear; organised, original way, with well constructed written expression that shows originality and flare.

Reply 4
Thank you for the pointers,will take them into consideration when writing an exam question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well I got my results, seems like I broke the never ending chain of dissatisfying B's. Just wanted to say your pointers really helped I got 2 A's in English lit and language, 1 mark of an A* in literature :frown: , but anyway I am happy thank you so much :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending