The Student Room Group

Cardiff - seriously overlooked?

Ok, I really feel that this deserves a friendly rant - why is Cardiff so overlooked as their top choice by uni applicants?

It may be that it doesn't sell itself well enough, cos when I applied last year I had pretty much no idea how high up in the tables it comes...15th....that's one place ahead of Durham, which has like a bazillion threads. It was only really after I vistited Cardiff last week that I realised just what an amazing place it was.....so beautiful (I actually thought it could've been a real palace), castle, bars, kickass union, practically 100% en-suite accomodation, cheap city - I could go on and I feel like I should!

When I spoke to the admissions guy for English (oh yeah the course is also pretty damn peachy, coming 6th in the country overall), he said there were 15 applicants per place!!!!! Which made me properly sit back and go wow, this is sooooo my top choice. I am utterly bemused why people who have offers here have opted not to go....and ok, so that's maybe a bit of a personal opinion, but I really wish people went on about it in the same way as some other over-hyped unis. Someone I spoke to in a very excited manner about Cardiff said: 'I didn't realise there were any good unis in Wales.' Shocking, no?!

I can appreciate that a uni choice is entirely an individual one , but in my mind Cardiff certainly deserves to be up there amongst the top unis in the country.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Becuase it's in Wales.
They shoot cats there.
Bah!
Reply 2
I totally agree!!! I really wish that I had applied to Cardiff... :frown:
Reply 3
i live bout 30 mins away i love it...its not too big and friendly...and a great night out!
im not going to cardiff uni..but the wales college of medicne but its merging wit 'diff uni this yr........ i cnt wait i love it there
Reply 4
noone i knwo who is bright has applied 2 cardiff. It may be ranked as a good uni but no one talks about it as a good uni. Id rather go to a uni that employers respect and is well-respected and cardiff isn't. It may be an excellent uni but it hasn';t got the prestige of unis like warwick, bristol etc.
Reply 5
no it will be in a few yrs i bet u!!!!!
plus i no loadsa loadsa bright ppl that have gone there!!!!!!!so......
Reply 6
all of my friends and many others applied for cardiff with not much intention of going there

we put it as an 'insurance' choice if you were

we just really don't want to go to cardiff - no matter how good it is- cause it's like 20 minutes away from us, and we reall wanna spread our wings more! we would be home every weekend and we have been out in cardiff so many times (shopping/drinking/school trips etc. )we are just fed up of the place

but that's just us and cause we live so close

most of the people who bother to go to the open days quite like it - it's just that cause it's so close, it's a big no-no!

:smile:
Reply 7
Cardiff has got good rep with employers I think it gets overlooked because its in Wales but it is a really cool city.
Reply 8
cardiff is hardly like the rest of wales though

trust me!!

:smile:
Reply 9
i agree that cardiff is a really good university as it's got top notch teaching and research assessments. i was going to apply their for psychology but i must admit the fact no-one else had really heard of it did put me off. it does deserve a better rep than its got by all means, but untill it gets a better reputation the top applicants will be put off.
Only one of my friends has applied there, i didn't even consider it (doesn't do my course) but even if it did i don't think i would have applied there.
I have only been there once and my first and only impressions of it were not particularly good. University buildings looked nice but the town itself seemed quite ugly and unfriendly, i think that was probably because it was after a Cardiff City footie match and there were lots of louts and yobs about. :smile:
Reply 11
I think it is often very overlooked. I'm almost certainly having it as my reserve (I prefer the courses elsewhere). It's not really one of the best unis in the UK, but it is very good.
Reply 12
Cardiff is wonderful! A lovely city, quite cheap to live in, and a great uni. It's part of the Russell Group, world-class research and everything. Everyone just forgets it because it is in Wales. I chose Cardiff above Exeter, having the same offer for both. That is partly because I come from Devon and wanted to live a bit further away, but on the open day I just fell in love with the city here. Don't just dismiss it because all the signs are in two langauges - give Cardiff a proper chance!

PS - My friend here does English and says it's a very good course, she's certainly enjoying it (and has way less 9am lectures than me!)
I'm SOOOO glad to see this thread come up! :biggrin:

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who's seriously thought about going to cardiff on this board! I think it seems like a great place to be, and I will most likely go there to do City & Regional Planning in September. Still coming up in April to see what it's like as I'm abroad and haven't been to any of the unis I've applied to yet.

VoodooDoll
i agree that cardiff is a really good university as it's got top notch teaching and research assessments. i was going to apply their for psychology but i must admit the fact no-one else had really heard of it did put me off. it does deserve a better rep than its got by all means, but untill it gets a better reputation the top applicants will be put off.

I was also a little concerned at first because it's in Wales and i don't know anybody going there from my country, but after some long hard thought i decided to apply. I got all A's at A-level and it's my top choice so far.
I would have loved to applied to Cardiff since they have my dream degree there; Italian and Japanese. If I was rich enough to have a nice apartment and everything I needed to feel at home there, then I would definitely apply for it.
Reply 15
Cardiff has quite a few foreign students and it seems to have good support for them. Don't listen to what some people say about Wales - it's not just fields and sheep. Cardiff is a capital city, it has the Millennium Stadium, tonnes of great shops and loads of students. Also its just been made the first Fair Trade capital city in the world which seems to mean that you can now get fair trade goods just about anywhere, which is a good thing.

BTW don't listen to my sig, we don't actually have any lions...
Glitterynat
Ok, I really feel that this deserves a friendly rant - why is Cardiff so overlooked as their top choice by uni applicants?

It may be that it doesn't sell itself well enough, cos when I applied last year I had pretty much no idea how high up in the tables it comes...15th....that's one place ahead of Durham, which has like a bazillion threads. It was only really after I vistited Cardiff last week that I realised just what an amazing place it was.....so beautiful (I actually thought it could've been a real palace), castle, bars, kickass union, practically 100% en-suite accomodation, cheap city - I could go on and I feel like I should!

When I spoke to the admissions guy for English (oh yeah the course is also pretty damn peachy, coming 6th in the country overall), he said there were 15 applicants per place!!!!! Which made me properly sit back and go wow, this is sooooo my top choice. I am utterly bemused why people who have offers here have opted not to go....and ok, so that's maybe a bit of a personal opinion, but I really wish people went on about it in the same way as some other over-hyped unis. Someone I spoke to in a very excited manner about Cardiff said: 'I didn't realise there were any good unis in Wales.' Shocking, no?!

I can appreciate that a uni choice is entirely an individual one , but in my mind Cardiff certainly deserves to be up there amongst the top unis in the country.

I endorse the comments about Cardiff. It has the credentials, it just needs the recognition.

Feminism: by hypocrites for hypocrites
Reply 17
alocin
I chose Cardiff above Exeter, having the same offer for both. That is partly because I come from Devon and wanted to live a bit further away, but on the open day I just fell in love with the city here.

what a coincidence!

i also chose cardiff above exeter, i also come from devon, and i too love'd the city on the open day.

the uni looks fantastic - loads of resources.

the cities had loads of investment in the last few years and looks great.

also the way in which the lecturers presented the courses was very professional and alot more appealing than other uni's.
i deffinatly think they have a rock solid foundation to build one of the best uk universities.
Reply 18
I'm choosing Cardiff as my first choice (for psychology) as I fell in love with the city when I visited (both times). I could go on about it but most people have said what I have to say, and it is definitely under-rated, but in the long run the class of your degree matters more than the university you acquired it from, hence if Cardiff is high up for your subject then it is a wise decision to choose it as your first choice.
Reply 19
I love Cardiff. It's such a friendly and vibrant city, and the Euros department at Cardiff is one of the best in its class for languages and politics. I've applied to do French and Politics, but have been selected for interview for a two year placement at Sciences-Po, Frances leading politics Uni in Bordeaux. Sun, sea and sand as well as world-class teaching? Here I come!

Latest

Trending

Trending