The Student Room Group

Big dilemma for University choices and A-level resits

I’m a third year returning A level student (a retread as they call it) taking Business, Graphics Communication and Economics looking to do Business in Uni. I returned because I failed to get into a preferred uni in 2023 and didn’t know about foundation courses at the time otherwise I would've taken that up.

I’ve received conditional offers from Cardiff (ABB) and Manchester (ABB but BBB if firmed). I prefer Cardiff because it’s only about 40 minutes away and Manchester is far away and I’m very unfamiliar with it. However, here’s the dilemma:

I currently have a C in Economics but I can get an A or B in my other two subjects. I have the option to either
a) drop Economics and keep the C from last year but aim to get two A’s in Business and Graphics which is manageable as I am on track towards that atm but not certain as it's risky.
b) resit both year 1 & year 2 of Economics this summer (4 units) to aim for a B but I'm not sure how necessary that is. It's also extremely demotivating as I am forced to take double classes.

I talked to my teachers and they said option A is easier if I wanted Manchester but option B is the route to take for Cardiff. However, I prefer option A yet I’d like to go to Cardiff instead, but keep Manchester’s BBB offer if things don’t go right.
What should I do?
Reply 1
I’m a third year returning A level student (a retread as they call it) taking Business, Graphics Communication and Economics looking to do Business in Uni. I returned because I failed to get into a preferred uni in 2023 and didn’t know about foundation courses at the time otherwise I would've taken that up.

I’ve received conditional offers from Cardiff (ABB) and Manchester (ABB but BBB if firmed). I prefer Cardiff because it’s only about 40 minutes away and Manchester is far away and I’m very unfamiliar with it. However, here’s the dilemma:

I currently have a C in Economics but I can get an A or B in my other two subjects. I have the option to either
a) drop Economics and keep the C from last year but aim to get two A’s in Business and Graphics which is manageable as I am on track towards that atm but not certain as it's risky.
b) resit both year 1 & year 2 of Economics this summer (4 units) to aim for a B but I'm not sure how necessary that is. It's also extremely demotivating as I am forced to take double classes.

I talked to my teachers and they said option A is easier if I wanted Manchester but option B is the route to take for Cardiff. However, I prefer option A yet I’d like to go to Cardiff instead, but keep Manchester’s BBB offer if things don’t go right.
What should I do?
Original post by chenrich11

What should I do?

With option a) you wouldn't meet the conditions for either offer, even if you achieved As in your other subjects. You have grade offers (not UCAS points) so your C grade needs to be improved on for both unis.
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
With option a) you wouldn't meet the conditions for either offer, even if you achieved As in your other subjects. You have grade offers (not UCAS points) so your C grade needs to be improved on for both unis.
So even if I took the offer for BBB, AAC wouldn’t be accepted? For more context, the BBB offer prioritises a subject that I already got a B in. So I wondered if maybe they’d overlook the C because I already achieved a B in what they prioritised more.
So even if I took the offer for BBB, AAC wouldn’t be accepted? For more context, the BBB offer prioritises a subject that I already got a B in. So I wondered if maybe they’d overlook the C because I already achieved a B in what they prioritised more.

It would depend on how competitive the course is and if the places are already filled with other applicants meeting the conditions of their offers. There might be wiggle room on results day but it's not guaranteed. Do you want to take that risk?
Reply 5

What should I do?

I’m resitting business too. What exam board r u? :smile:
There is no guarantee a university will accept you unless you meet your offer in full so if you have a C and they want a B they could reject you. That is the correct position.

However I have known Cardiff in past years have accepted students who have missed a grade or more. It isnt guaranteed but I think it is quite likely Cardiff will accept you with a C.

Even if they do reject you it is likely other Welsh universities will end up accepting you through clearing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending