The Student Room Group

Revision for Politics and International Relations.

Just posting this on here because I was curious as to how other people revise for this particular degree. I'm in my 2nd year studying Politics with International Relations at Lancaster University, and I have 4 year exams coming up in May and June. Whenever it comes to exams for this degree I tend to just find myself reading a hell of a lot from the reading list we were given at the start of the year; not really writing any additional notes or information down to help with revision. I was wondering how other people studying the same or similar course do for their revision. I have friends doing subjects such as Biology and Physics that follow much different revision routines, but that's pretty much to be expected seeing as they are completely different subjects. I've found that with my modules there is a hell of a lot of crossover, and a lot of the information and such that we have learned and discussed along the way has been consolidated in my mind pretty well, meaning I don't feel the need to write down copious amounts of additional information in order to revise effectively. Any other opinions on the matter?
Reply 1
First year here.

I tend to go over the lecture notes/slides and try to summarise as much of the core information as I can, and I'll look over that every day while I'm revising. Then do more general reading on the areas that I'm planning to answer on, so I'll normally pick 50% of the course to look at in a deeper way, and stick to the core for the other 50%.

However, I only tend to start revising a week or so before my exams so that might be why :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Cboylan81
Just posting this on here because I was curious as to how other people revise for this particular degree. I'm in my 2nd year studying Politics with International Relations at Lancaster University, and I have 4 year exams coming up in May and June. Whenever it comes to exams for this degree I tend to just find myself reading a hell of a lot from the reading list we were given at the start of the year; not really writing any additional notes or information down to help with revision. I was wondering how other people studying the same or similar course do for their revision. I have friends doing subjects such as Biology and Physics that follow much different revision routines, but that's pretty much to be expected seeing as they are completely different subjects. I've found that with my modules there is a hell of a lot of crossover, and a lot of the information and such that we have learned and discussed along the way has been consolidated in my mind pretty well, meaning I don't feel the need to write down copious amounts of additional information in order to revise effectively. Any other opinions on the matter?

Second year IR student here, I just look at past questions and try and answer them with the reading I have either done/do as part of 'revision'.
Reply 3
Second year here, and I struggle with revising too. I make spider diagrams based on the lectures, then look at all the past questions I can find and answer them. Then I make notes and look up things I found hard in the past questions. I don't do well in exams though, usually only about 59, give or take.
Reply 4
Original post by Airfairy
Second year here, and I struggle with revising too. I make spider diagrams based on the lectures, then look at all the past questions I can find and answer them. Then I make notes and look up things I found hard in the past questions. I don't do well in exams though, usually only about 59, give or take.

I don't bother looking at lecture notes, they don't give enough detail and they don't name the academics we are supposed to refer to during the exam (at my uni anyway). I do as much reading of academic sources as I can.
I just didn't revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending