The Student Room Group

University subjects

I'm really stuck between international relations and politics / social anthropology and international relations
I want a degree that will keep my options open and something interesting.
Reply 1
Original post by curlyhairmaryam
I'm really stuck between international relations and politics / social anthropology and international relations

I am literally the same!! I think I am going to try write a personal statement that highlights my interests in them all but its so difficult!
Original post by curlyhairmaryam

Hi @curlyhairmaryam and @ivi3

It's great to hear from you! I apologise that this response is quite late, but I hope I can still provide some useful insights!

Choosing a university course can be really difficult, and I understand that there's a lot of things to consider. When deciding, it will be useful to look at course descriptions on university websites that you're interested in. These will detail things like modules, course structure, and common career paths for graduates. If your college of sixth form offers career advice, then you could speak to them about things you're interested in doing after university and see what they recommend based on that.

With these two particular options, I would say that politics and international relations will more gear you up for something in politics, civil service or similar. Meanwhile, social anthropology and international relations will still keep these political routes open, while also keeping your options open for broader career paths.

Either way, though, your options after university will not be limited. There is always the option of taking further qualifications after your degree if your desired career needs this, and many employers will appreciate any degree in a relevant field, even if it's not directly related. The main thing to ask yourself is: what will I be happiest doing for the three (or more) years of my degree?

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask me anything else! :smile:
Amie (a third year University of Southampton Official Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending