The Student Room Group

A few questions...please help!

Heeeello.

Long story short, I'm a final year English student at Edge Hill who has applied for MH nursing for this September. I now have three offers from Manchester, Edge Hill and Leeds, however I am torn between EH and Manc...

1) Is driving as a student nurse important? The reason I ask is I am now in the position to either afford a car if I go to Edge Hill again (I'll live at home) or live in Manchester if I go there but not drive. For placement, is public transport a nightmare at all times of the day/night?

2) Any current students going to either of these have any advice? I am literally so torn on whether I be sensible and stay at home with a car, or enjoy having that new experience in Manchester (my family have now moved abroad so I think I would like a new start myself) but use my money for living?

ANY advice at all would be fantastic!
Original post by dan1209
Heeeello.

Long story short, I'm a final year English student at Edge Hill who has applied for MH nursing for this September. I now have three offers from Manchester, Edge Hill and Leeds, however I am torn between EH and Manc...

1) Is driving as a student nurse important? The reason I ask is I am now in the position to either afford a car if I go to Edge Hill again (I'll live at home) or live in Manchester if I go there but not drive. For placement, is public transport a nightmare at all times of the day/night?

2) Any current students going to either of these have any advice? I am literally so torn on whether I be sensible and stay at home with a car, or enjoy having that new experience in Manchester (my family have now moved abroad so I think I would like a new start myself) but use my money for living?

ANY advice at all would be fantastic!

Driving as a student nurse is beneficial and certainly helps but its not essential. When I studied at Manchester I didn't drive and although I was up at 5.30 sometimes to travel to placement for early shifts the public transport was great and I had no problems with it.

Can't really say much about edge hill though. My cousin studies there and said its great but placements can be a bit scattered around the area and she is very dependent on her car, but I'm not sure if that's through necessity or through her preferences...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Danniitb
Driving as a student nurse is beneficial and certainly helps but its not essential. When I studied at Manchester I didn't drive and although I was up at 5.30 sometimes to travel to placement for early shifts the public transport was great and I had no problems with it.

Can't really say much about edge hill though. My cousin studies there and said its great but placements can be a bit scattered around the area and she is very dependent on her car, but I'm not sure if that's through necessity or through her preferences...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thankyou for that!

How did you find affordability in Manchester, because accommodation is a lot dearer and nurses loans are reduced?
Original post by dan1209
Ah thankyou for that!

How did you find affordability in Manchester, because accommodation is a lot dearer and nurses loans are reduced?

I'm not going to lie, affordability is pretty difficult, but I wouldn't say that's due to Manchester but rather due to nursing. In fact i found being in manchester hugely beneficial as a student and I've always managed to have a lot of fun even on the tightest of budgets. There are student discounts everywhere, especially around the campuses and in the student living areas like fallow field. And the city centre also has plenty of student discounts in a range of places catering to all tastes.

With such a high student population Manchester has plenty of affordable student properties for a range of budgets and as with anywhere, if you start looking early enough you will find something great and cheap. As i said before, I don't know anything about edge hill or its area but I wouldn't have thought Manchester was more expensive than most places, especially with the high student population keeping landlords setting their rates at competitive prices. Best thing to do would be to check the student accommodation sites and make comparisons yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending