The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
They want to be viewed as intelligent and reckless.
I literally did no revision and got 12 U's for my exams. Just Trolling. I got 10A*s.
Original post by king_revision
I literally did no revision and got 12 U's for my exams. Just Trolling. I got 10A*s.

No one cares. :wink:
Reply 103
Dog eat dog is the way it goes in my course.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I used to think this is a high school thing, because it's 'uncool' to study hard.

Believe it or not there are still some people like that at university (or on my course anyway). Although on the whole everybody promote the idea of study more and if anything, slacking off is frowned upon.

But there are a few individuals who play it cool and say they've not worked much. When I go to exams I take a few revision cards with me (as do most) and this one jackass just comes up to me and says "haha look at you with all your notes, you study too hard man"

:dry:
I feel people lie about revising because if they skrew up in an exam, they could use their "laziness" as an excuse. :dry:
I find it quite hard to believe that people can get all A*s without revising whatsoever, but it's not all that unfeasible. I only ever revised on the day before the exam, and in some cases, only for about quarter of an hour. I guess that I must've worked harder in class, then.
Original post by SexiestNameEver
Of course the title is a bit of an exaggeration but still.

People say they don't revise. Ever. And then on August the 23rd they get mostly A/A*'s (some full UMS marks).

And then they say "I don't know how I got that I didn't know anything."

No bitch, you revised. You revised to your heart's ****ing content.

Why do people do this? It pisses me off. I'm sorry for the exaggeration and swearing but this ALWAYS happens. Just say you revised. What are you gonna lose?

Edit: Note I said people who claim they do not revise AT ALL, not "a bit". And then they get A/A*'s and claim they didn't understand anything. Please.

if this is referring to gcses then the title is quite accurate imo. Gcses are a piece of cake wait till they get to a level
Original post by Zaraahmed555
if this is referring to gcses then the title is quite accurate imo. Gcses are a piece of cake wait till they get to a level

Ah and I assume you got all A*'s by not revising at all and raving/watching Tv/partying/psr or going out with freinds the whole 2 years? It's a "piece of cake" right?
Reply 109
Why does it or why should it affect you? Focus on you, your own grades and goals.

Tip for the day: put yourself first.
Of course the title is a bit of an exaggeration but still.

People say they don't revise. Ever. And then on August the 23rd they get mostly A/A*'s (some full UMS marks).

And then they say "I don't know how I got that I didn't know anything."

No bitch, you revised. You revised to your heart's ****ing content.

Why do people do this? It pisses me off. I'm sorry for the exaggeration and swearing but this ALWAYS happens. Just say you revised. What are you gonna lose?

Edit: Note I said people who claim they do not revise AT ALL, not "a bit". And then they get A/A*'s and claim they didn't understand anything. Please.

It is my belief that it is a clandestine form of pride and showing off. At least when I've done it, it is! :lol:
Ah and I assume you got all A*'s by not revising at all and raving/watching Tv/partying/psr or going out with freinds the whole 2 years? It's a "piece of cake" right?

Lol if someone finds gcses easy then they find it easy. No one needs to get annoyed over it :/ hehehe.
Original post by upthegunners
I assume you got straight A*s if you found so stupidly easy

Not really... I think you miss-understand what I'm saying. I mean IN COMPARISON to uni exams and A Levels. I got 3 A*s 6As 1B and 1D with barely any revision; tried to do the same for AS Levels... didn't work at all. Ended up retaking all AS exams and coursework in the same year as A2s and ended up turning it around... So yes I know what I'm talking about and I'm not making a dick comment. Chillax
I think people some people say that just because they're worried about the results.

I found some of my GCSE subjects quite difficult (English and Geography mainly). Of course I revised for them - but at any point between starting revision and finally getting the results, if you had asked me how much I had revised it would have always felt like not enough. Until I got the results, I was constantly thinking "should have revised more, should have revised more", and was obviously pleasantly surprised to get A*s.

So it was true - I had done hardly any revision compared to how much I felt I should have. It can be very difficult for a person to actually feel like they've done a lot/enough, if they're not too confident in a particular subject.

On the other hand, there were some subjects that I really didn't revise for (Maths, French and Spanish), because they came more naturally to me. Though for those subjects, I wouldn't have thought on results day "I don't know how I got an A*, I didn't know anything". I just found them to be more dependent on how much attention I'd been paying over the year rather than how frantically I crammed at the end.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a couple of them in my class and I found them quite annoying as well !! I don't really know why but it makes me angry :biggrin:
Original post by PINKFLEUR
I feel people lie about revising because if they skrew up in an exam, they could use their "laziness" as an excuse. :dry:

I agree, I do it sometimes, because I'm always scared that I'll screw my exam :biggrin:
Well GCSEs aren't exactly difficult, there's hardly any content and one full day and nights revision could get you an A* easily in more or less any of the subjects

At uni, where the work is MUCH harder and much more voluminous, I haven't really seen anyone claim they didn't revise and end up getting top marks
Im not the smartest student but ive still been able to cruise through exams with decent grades by doing a night or 2 revision for most subjects. Its certainly possible for some students to achieve top grades without doing much.
Reply 117
Original post by Tabzqt
still not that much content tbh.
It's also probably easier for most people to remember historical figures and events than complex physics formulas or whatever.

I do History & Sciences at A-Level and History is by far the one with the most content to remember. You do need to know all of the detail at A2 level otherwise you won't get higher than a C in the exam. Science is a bit like maths - once you know how to do the calculations you just need to remember a little content (which is nearly always the same as previous exam papers). Whereas history can be on absolutely anything in a 50 year / 100 year period.
Reply 118
Considering at GCSE, I could read the whole physics/chemistry/biology triple science revision books in under a hour each, I say your point is invalid. It's easy to get good grades at GCSEs just by paying attention in class and a few hours revision before the exam. The most common reason people get low grades is that they don't listen in class, so even if they revise for 2 weeks non stop, they don't understand how to apply/use what they've revised.

It's funny how people always "blame" and criticize people for being clever, but no one ever criticizes people who are naturally good at a sport or some sort of art. Some people are naturally good at almost any sport while others can train 24/7 and still be bad.

OP's post could also be applied to anything as it just basically implies life is not fair, I'm a little disappointed you found out this was the case so late in your life.

As far as the few people that do lie about how much revision they do, It really just shows that they are influenced into thinking revision is a bad thing; usually because they don't want their friends to know they actually have hopes for a better life.

I really don't understand your annoyance over them, are you jealous they got good marks because they revised but said they didn't so you didn't revise too thinking you were just as cool? And then found out you were mistaken?
Original post by Shahriyar
I have a couple of them in my class and I found them quite annoying as well !! I don't really know why but it makes me angry :biggrin:

I agree, I do it sometimes, because I'm always scared that I'll screw my exam :biggrin:

Ahaha, you're not the only one. :ahee:

Latest