The Student Room Group

Student nurse- hours?

Apologies if this has already been asked before!

Studying and training for Adult Nursing degree, what sort of hours am I likely to be studying or training?

Is it going to be 9-5 type hours for the 3 years before I qualify or are they going to be variable straight away?

TIA :smile:
You'll be doing similar hours to qualified nurses, earlies, days, lates and nights. This is to prepare you for what nursing entails. If you're more into community nursing (sometimes mental health) then perhaps you'll be doing more day shifts.
Depending on the uni you'll do lectures and placements in blocks, for example 5 weeks of lectures (normal uni hours) then 5 weeks of placement (shift work). Some unis do it so you're in placement 2 days a week and in lectures 3 days a week. It just depends really. Either way it will become more and more demanding as the time passes. Like in third year you'll be in placement more than you are in lectures.
Hope that helps :smile:
you will do 4600 + hours across the course

2300 in practice , 2300 in uni

on placement you will work the working patterns of the unit and will be required to work a certain proportion of shifts with your named mentor. Some HEIs have policies as to what proportion of unsocial hours are 'reasonable' for students - this is due to some unit managers misusing Students as HCAs and also to reflect that Students are not paid any for USH allowance
Reply 3
hmm, ok does this mean there might be times when, say, i start a shift at 4am for a week?

I'm just looking into the childcare issues- i was informed on my other thread that the costs would be covered by grants- however i can't get childcare at 4am!

if this is the case i'm going to have to look at moving house too!!! to live near my parents so they can help out. I'd really rather not do this because I don't want to take my daughter out of her school away from all her friends :frown: she's in her 3rd year now. I'm desperately looking for ways to make this work without having to move!
Reply 4
I have the same issue as you. Have you considered child minders, some of them provide over night care, or live out nanny. Thats what I am going to do. Like you, I am determined to make it work. Good Luck!
Reply 5
I'm a current first year student and as others have said you'll follow shift patterns. That being said I don't know anywhere that starts a shift at four am. My last placement shifts were 7-3, 7-21:30 or 13:30:21:30. But they had "child friendly" hours too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pixie b
hmm, ok does this mean there might be times when, say, i start a shift at 4am for a week?

4am Starts would be highly unusual, however, shifts finishing in the early hours are common . Also there will be fewer and fewer 'office hours' roles in the future as more services will be expected to work extended days if not 24/7.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks everyone :smile: i hadn't considered au pair tbh, that's a good idea however we are not in a posistion to be able to put someone up at the moment! it does look like i'll be moving back home! (well near home!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending