The Student Room Group

I hate placement

Hello,

I'm a nursing student, 2nd year- moving to third, Right now I'm on my 6 week placement for the summer. I hate it.

I don't know if I hate it all the time or if I just hate specific placement areas.
In first year I enjoyed my first placement a lot. I loved the team, they were very student friendly and a very small, tight knit crew.
The second placement I absolutely hated. It was in the summer too. Looking back at it, there was a lot of senior nurse superiority and treating students like slaves but the NQNs and other students were great and it wasn't all that bad. But for some reason I hated it.

Then the start of second year, I enjoyed my first placement in October. I saw the kind of nurse I wanted to be- that is if I managed to be one. But I missed my first couple of shifts because I was sick and then when I recovered I had a panic attack about going in which sent me into the same slump that I'm having now.

The next placement I hardly went in than what I felt like as my grandfather had just passed away.

This time. I was sick my first week. Then on the next shift I attended (it was a night). I had a panic attack on the way there in the middle of the streets. Told myself to stop overreacting. Mustered the courage to go into the ward and the nurse told me to change in the toilets. I had another panic attack and cried and heaved and didn't know what to do. Then someone started knocking and it brought me back I guess and I stopped fixed myself up. I felt like running out the ward and going home. I stayed, was assigned a lovely Nurse. She asked what I wanted to do as if was my first shift and allowed me to mainly observe. It wasn't very busy on our end and she was hoping other nurses out as we were very short staffed. She sent me on break as there was nothing to do and I accepted. Worst mistake. as soon as I stepped outside of the ward I cried so hard. I called my mum and my texted my friend who was just checking up. I told myself that Im already here and might as well continue. and once its 12am I can't leave anyways as there'd be no way to get home.

I came back into the ward and felt like puking and crying. I told my nurse I felt sick and wanted to go home. I didn't attend the rest of my shifts that week.

my mum asked me the next day what I wanted to do as this is the second time I had chickened out. she said it'd be a waste of 2 years to drop out now. I know I can drop out whenever and whatnot. her saying that did make me a little upset, but it wasn't that deep.

I have a shift tomorrow. Heart is racing. I don't want to have to give myself a pep talk every time I need to go in for a shift. When I think about the future I don't see myself staying in the NHS or in nursing. I talk bad about it and see no happiness there. I told myself just stick it out and maybe u can do health visiting or school nursing or something else. But I don't know if I'm smart enough to be a health visitor and if I can stick it out long enough to get this degree.

I'm missing a decade long of hours. I don't know when and if I'll be able to make it up. I don't know what to do. my mum never told me what to do or what not to do in terms of careers and education. its a blessing I know but sometimes I wish she did.

please tell me what to do. pretty please. just tell me if I should or if I shouldn't. tell me what to do.

I don't know what other areas I'm interested in. up until now all I ever cared about was healthcare. It was doctor, psychiatrist, midwife, nurse. I think I hate it now but I don't know. I don't know anything. please just tell me what to do I'm begging you.
Reply 1
From what I’m reading there’s a big difference between what you imagined the job would be and what it actually is. I’m not saying that you should give up, but you must really take the time to analyse your feelings about the actual job you are doing and not the one you dreamed about. Can you bring yourself to continue with things as they are. If it was only one placement that you didn’t like or that caused you anxiety then I would say to speak to your responsible and see what you and they can do to make things better, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. You seem to be making yourself unwell everywhere.
Yes you can drop out whenever you feel that things are just too difficult for you, but in some respects your mother is right. Life will always throw you challenges that will test your resolve. Depending on what you really want out of your job and your life aspirations, some challenges are worth facing whilst others you’d do better to walk away from. Only you know what you really want to do. There’s no shame in saying you made a mistake. Nursing is an emotionally and physically draining career.It certainly isn’t for everyone. So be honest with yourself and then make the decisions that mean you’ll get to where you want to be, whether that be in nursing or something else.
Good luck.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Cri baby
Hello,

I'm a nursing student, 2nd year- moving to third, Right now I'm on my 6 week placement for the summer. I hate it.

I don't know if I hate it all the time or if I just hate specific placement areas.
In first year I enjoyed my first placement a lot. I loved the team, they were very student friendly and a very small, tight knit crew.
The second placement I absolutely hated. It was in the summer too. Looking back at it, there was a lot of senior nurse superiority and treating students like slaves but the NQNs and other students were great and it wasn't all that bad. But for some reason I hated it.

Then the start of second year, I enjoyed my first placement in October. I saw the kind of nurse I wanted to be- that is if I managed to be one. But I missed my first couple of shifts because I was sick and then when I recovered I had a panic attack about going in which sent me into the same slump that I'm having now.

The next placement I hardly went in than what I felt like as my grandfather had just passed away.

This time. I was sick my first week. Then on the next shift I attended (it was a night). I had a panic attack on the way there in the middle of the streets. Told myself to stop overreacting. Mustered the courage to go into the ward and the nurse told me to change in the toilets. I had another panic attack and cried and heaved and didn't know what to do. Then someone started knocking and it brought me back I guess and I stopped fixed myself up. I felt like running out the ward and going home. I stayed, was assigned a lovely Nurse. She asked what I wanted to do as if was my first shift and allowed me to mainly observe. It wasn't very busy on our end and she was hoping other nurses out as we were very short staffed. She sent me on break as there was nothing to do and I accepted. Worst mistake. as soon as I stepped outside of the ward I cried so hard. I called my mum and my texted my friend who was just checking up. I told myself that Im already here and might as well continue. and once its 12am I can't leave anyways as there'd be no way to get home.

I came back into the ward and felt like puking and crying. I told my nurse I felt sick and wanted to go home. I didn't attend the rest of my shifts that week.

my mum asked me the next day what I wanted to do as this is the second time I had chickened out. she said it'd be a waste of 2 years to drop out now. I know I can drop out whenever and whatnot. her saying that did make me a little upset, but it wasn't that deep.

I have a shift tomorrow. Heart is racing. I don't want to have to give myself a pep talk every time I need to go in for a shift. When I think about the future I don't see myself staying in the NHS or in nursing. I talk bad about it and see no happiness there. I told myself just stick it out and maybe u can do health visiting or school nursing or something else. But I don't know if I'm smart enough to be a health visitor and if I can stick it out long enough to get this degree.

I'm missing a decade long of hours. I don't know when and if I'll be able to make it up. I don't know what to do. my mum never told me what to do or what not to do in terms of careers and education. its a blessing I know but sometimes I wish she did.

please tell me what to do. pretty please. just tell me if I should or if I shouldn't. tell me what to do.

I don't know what other areas I'm interested in. up until now all I ever cared about was healthcare. It was doctor, psychiatrist, midwife, nurse. I think I hate it now but I don't know. I don't know anything. please just tell me what to do I'm begging you.

Hi

I would say that every placement you do over the course of your nursing degree will be completely different from the last one 😞.
You'll also probably find that a particular placement you are doing isn't as good as the others one's you have done so far ☺️. You also sometimes get very good placement and also sometimes get the worse one you have done.

I think every student nursing staff has had a placement they not keen on so it might just be that this particular placement you are currently doing you don't like it for some sort of reason which only you can work out.
Also sometimes what you'll find out being a student nurse is unfortunately you are having to work over the summer months either at university or at a placement while you were use to having all that time of when at school ( oh yes I was exactly the same).

Take a deep breath and calm yourself before you go into your placement tomorrow, go in and get yourself into uniform and report to whoever on the ward and sit in the handover. Do as they ask you to do, any problems regarding your health issues then talk to your ward sister or manager okay. Don't worry about having to give yourself a pet talk before each shift because sometimes it is good to do that with yourself before going into your ward as it helps you focus.

Get yourself through your nursing degree ok and then closer to the time when you are about to qualify you will start applying for jobs in which you should have a idea where you want to work about rather than perhaps hospitals or community nursing.

You mentioned about missing Hours of work or university studies then therefore you will have to sit down with your university course leader and placement officer about arranging things so you can make those up as you'll have to complete all of the 4600 Hours ( 2300 placement and 2300 university studies) before you are about to qualify as otherwise NMC won't issue you with your nursing registration. If it's placement hours then you can work on your days off on current and future placements to make it up or if it's university studies you are short on then hopefully they can provide you with the necessary information online for you to do but you'll have to talk to your university course leader and placement officer to sort things out okay.

I think you'll be a fantastic nurse if you get yourself sorted out with everything. You have came this far and only under a year away from qualifying.

Best wishes
A newly qualified adult nurse.....
Reply 3
Hi love. I’m going through the same thing. I think look back on your personal statement on why you wanted to be a nurse. Maybe it will give you some motivation. Could you also speak to your Personal tutor or student well-being regarding this. Gosh, I thought I was on my own in this. Please private message me and we can share our experience if you like. I’m a final year student in London.
Reply 4
what did you decide to do
Original post by MariamMH
Hi love. I’m going through the same thing. I think look back on your personal statement on why you wanted to be a nurse. Maybe it will give you some motivation. Could you also speak to your Personal tutor or student well-being regarding this. Gosh, I thought I was on my own in this. Please private message me and we can share our experience if you like. I’m a final year student in London.
Reply 5
Hello,

Hi what did you decide to do?
Im a second year mh nurse and I’m feeling exactly the same as you! I’m so torn as to wether I should try and stick it out or just leave. It’s getting to the point where it’s effecting my own mental health, i know I’m half way though but the thought of having to do this for another 18 months just fills me with dread.
I am first year adult nursing student, I’ve had three placement so far. I was biased with placements some not so much enjoyed most of them. I go in every shift motivated, pushing myself to get through, fighting with panic attack to make it.
I think it’s the environment and the pressure we student that we need to go through is the problem. Because of the The long hours, the tired and stressed nurses we students can’t enjoy the placement. Also affecting our mood and ability to learn.

My best advice to you keep your head up, go complete the hours. It is hard but a new world will open for you once you qualify. You don’t have to work in NHS as a nurse will be plenty of other opportunities.

Wish you all the best!
Reply 7
Original post by Blondexo
Hi what did you decide to do?
Im a second year mh nurse and I’m feeling exactly the same as you! I’m so torn as to wether I should try and stick it out or just leave. It’s getting to the point where it’s effecting my own mental health, i know I’m half way though but the thought of having to do this for another 18 months just fills me with dread.

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply. I dont go on TSR much unless im dreading something. I decided to continue on with it, get as much placement hours done. Easier said than done. I worked out im under by 450 hours ish (which is two 6 week placements) so its gonna be quite difficult but my PT said that there are students in every year that do this and they just register as nurses at a later time. So whilst everyone is registering under the August or September board, i’ll be registering later.

My plans for after uni and (hopefully) graduation is very minimal nursing. I want to try community before i full force make my choice, i think the social hours might help me out a bit. The reason i said minimal nursing and not NO nursing is because if I make it after these 3 cruel years i want to keep my nursing license. You need to renew every year (and pay a hefty £120 i think) just to keep your license in this country (so if you plan on going abroad and maybe practicing in the UK again one day you’ll have to maintain this) and for revalidation (either every 3 years or 5 years, i dont remember which) you need 450 practice hours to be assessed. If i like community nursing i might go into that full time, however if i dont i will stick to ward but do only a couple of set days a week. I physically cannot stay in the ward, it brings an ominous sense of dread to me. Rn im trying to pick up some tech skills. Ive had mild discussion about what im good at with family and friends who have all said im creative but i dont think i see myself in a creative career. Tbh theres many paths im seeing now and it depends on which i get to first. I hope it all goes well for you, keep in touch!!
Hi, second year adult nursing student here! just days away from my new placement in CCU.

my first year of nursing was horrendous! I am also lots of hours behind around 180 already just from first year! i’m around 4.5 weeks behind.

i hated my first year, my first placement was community in which i learnt nothing… the nurses did very basic jobs like insulin injections and wound dressings. Very repetitive
They was also short staffed so i found myself in the office 2-3 days a week, became incredibly bored so i missed 40 hours that placement due to not going in because i didn’t want to sit there all day.

My second placement was on an Orthopaedic ward, walked out on my first shift due to how i was treated! missed 2 weeks of that placement due to getting meeting with PEFS, tutors and nurses to try and sort it out.
Again learnt nothing on this placement other than taking Observations and basic HCA jobs .
So i was down over 75 hours on that placement.

My third placement was thoracic medicine based in treatment rooms.
This placement was ment for 3rd years not first so i was able to do nothing on this placement because i hadn’t had the training prior, sat observing peoples appointments all day. got incredibly bored and missed a ton of hours around 40!

I wanted to drop out, felt incredibly behind my peers who have got to do lots of nursing stuff.

anyway, i’m still here ahah, going into my 4th placement (1st of second year) on wednesday on the critical care unit.
feeling okay for this placement, not as nervous as usual as I’ve heard good things about the staff.

however, I’m going to be open and honest from the get go about how I have not had the opportunity to engage in many nursing skills so I’m still learning the basics. and hopefully they will guide me and help me to achieve my competencies!
I can’t afford to drop any hours this placement so I have to come in every single shift which is something I never did in first year lol mostly due to the bad experiences I had, and the fact that there was nothing to do on my placements .

I felt exactly how you felt on my placements that has many times where I have not gone in because I felt too scared or times where I spent a lot of time in the bathroom wanting to go home.
I encourage you to keep going and just to try your best you will have the opportunity to make up the hours you have missed at the end of your degree!

wishing you all the best from a struggling second year student xx
Reply 9
dont assume community nursing is easier. your lone working, dealing with families in crisis. sure give it a go but its pretty emotionally challenging.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hello,

Hi there,

Current student nurse here.
We can't tell you what to do or what not to do. This is entirely your decision to make. However, it's evident that you're struggling mentally at the moment given what you've had to deal with in your personal life, and now the added stress of your missing placement hours. Please, do not beat yourself up with big sticks.

You do need to make an appointment with your cohort leader or programme lead, and discuss your current difficulties. It is easy to dismiss the entire degree if you're not enjoying your current placement. From what you've said, it sounds like you've got the world on your shoulders and paired up with a bad experience of placement, it's heavily influenced your mindset of your course. You've said yourself that you've had some enjoyable placements and it sounds like you may dislike your current placement. Definitely enquire with the wellbeing area of your university for some extra support, too.

I can speak from experience, that there's been placements I've really not enjoyed, and it's made me doubt why I started the course, but then I've gone on to an incredible placement and it's reaffirmed my love for it. You won't enjoy every placement, but you'll know what area you want to work in upon qualifying.

Nat
Reply 11
Hello,

Hi everyone! Just thought I’d give an update as there are many like me and in the same situation. Opening up about my situation and in particular my anxiety has helped. I haven't spoke to a professional about it but I spoke to hcps in a research team aiming to reduce anxiety in students at placement (very convenient, i know!). I didn’t make enough hours to get my last placement assessed- the one i was crying about initially on here but they placed me back here on retrieval. This helped bc I somewhat knew the ward and the people and the routine. I know am considering choosing it for my sign off. Still missing a tonne of hours but I think rn i’m just going to stop seeing it as im behind everyone and everything bc i dont want to work myself up and hate it. Im quite enjoying it here and hope to enjoy my next placements.
Reply 12
Hi everyone! Just thought I’d give an update as there are many like me and in the same situation. Opening up about my situation and in particular my anxiety has helped. I haven't spoke to a professional about it but I spoke to hcps in a research team aiming to reduce anxiety in students at placement (very convenient, i know!). I didn’t make enough hours to get my last placement assessed- the one i was crying about initially on here but they placed me back here on retrieval. This helped bc I somewhat knew the ward and the people and the routine. I know am considering choosing it for my sign off. Still missing a tonne of hours but I think rn i’m just going to stop seeing it as im behind everyone and everything bc i dont want to work myself up and hate it. Im quite enjoying it here and hope to enjoy my next placements.

OH I was writing this before a shift so couldn't finish but I think once I make it out (hopefully alive) I might do the typical rotation most hospitals offer as long as I can or just so I can get my skills. I do want to do community and was considering the SCPHN course (if anyone is stumbling across this post with any information, tips or experience with this, please share!). This is mainly because its sociable hours. I'm hoping for my next placement to be community so I can try it out but I feel like that type of nursing will work best with my lifestyle. I am very family orientated and when placement comes around I feel like I don't get to see my family as often and its harder to make it work (just me really, I know people who can manage it- I personally am the weakest link and can't)
Reply 13
OH I was writing this before a shift so couldn't finish but I think once I make it out (hopefully alive) I might do the typical rotation most hospitals offer as long as I can or just so I can get my skills. I do want to do community and was considering the SCPHN course (if anyone is stumbling across this post with any information, tips or experience with this, please share!). This is mainly because its sociable hours. I'm hoping for my next placement to be community so I can try it out but I feel like that type of nursing will work best with my lifestyle. I am very family orientated and when placement comes around I feel like I don't get to see my family as often and its harder to make it work (just me really, I know people who can manage it- I personally am the weakest link and can't)

you need two years. better if in community. you will be doing a masters course. like your current course you have practice placements. and a mentor. however this role is not aimed at newly qualified the wife is a dn with that qualification. and is at band 7. it gives you a clue at the level of skill you need. its a good job. but its not as sociable hours as you think. if in a big district you may be doing days evenings or nights. now if you fancy a challenge come north to scotland we will be very happy to have you.
Reply 14
Original post by paub
you need two years. better if in community. you will be doing a masters course. like your current course you have practice placements. and a mentor. however this role is not aimed at newly qualified the wife is a dn with that qualification. and is at band 7. it gives you a clue at the level of skill you need. its a good job. but its not as sociable hours as you think. if in a big district you may be doing days evenings or nights. now if you fancy a challenge come north to scotland we will be very happy to have you.

Thought you were in Manchester area.

How's the weather doing in the furthest part of the UK in Shetland and Orkneys....

Scotland has a better pay for nurses than anywhere else in the UK so that's why you came up.. haha. Hope you enjoy NHS Scotland better
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Tracey_W
Thought you were in Manchester area.

How's the weather doing in the furthest part of the UK in Shetland and Orkneys....

Scotland has a better pay for nurses than anywhere else in the UK so that's why you came up.. haha. Hope you enjoy NHS Scotland better

been up here a fair while. just had a near hurricane. we came up for the sake of the kids. and at the time there was a job freeze on nqn. so it was a tosh up between here or the isle of man. pay is ok as we get a distant island allowance. all band 6 dns with the qualification and full prescribing with a case load were moved to band 7. as we meet the guidelines. its a really nice pay boost. staffing and workload like everywhere is a challenge.
Reply 16
Original post by paub
been up here a fair while. just had a near hurricane. we came up for the sake of the kids. and at the time there was a job freeze on nqn. so it was a tosh up between here or the isle of man. pay is ok as we get a distant island allowance. all band 6 dns with the qualification and full prescribing with a case load were moved to band 7. as we meet the guidelines. its a really nice pay boost. staffing and workload like everywhere is a challenge.

I'm glad that my country and my NHS could provide you with the Jobs you are doing in Shetland. And you are doing well. Yes I knew that certain people can apply for a relocation allowance ( distance island allowance) as part of the job offer, it does encourage people to relocate.

Believe NHS England did put jobs freezes in place as reasons why they are in such a big mess with trying to get people to do nursing but that's Westminster Tory government for you and I can't see much better if labour wins the next election.

Hope kids enjoying the beautiful scenery that Shetland offers and the nice summer weather. Unlike winter when unfortunately Shetland gets bad weather especially the blunts of hurricane after leaving the mainland.

The biggest challenge for Shetland is that the population is more spread out unlike the big cities and towns.
Reply 17
Original post by paub

Thank you for your kind words, Paub! I really appreciate it. I finally have a community placement coming up (only 3 weeks bc our uni likes to screw us over) but I am excited for it. Now that I am job searching and speaking to recruiters and whatnot I realise the amount of skill required for SCPHN. I don't mind the occasional unsociable hours but I like having a bit more structure to my days and knowing what days I can expect to work rather than the ever-changing rota of ward nursing.

I do want to gain skills like becoming IV competent and just work on lone working for a while to gain confidence so I can really master community nursing. If you don't mind asking for me, the PgDip, masters and degree apprenticeship route for gaining the SCPHN qualification all require looking for a sponsor organisation. Would you perhaps know how to do that? Is it okay (in a professional sense) to email hospitals or trusts asking if they're willing to sponsor? How would I go about this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending