The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3/C4 extra things to just "know"

Anyone know the extra bits and pieces (equations, formulae etc) we need to know for C3 (and C4).

So, for example, we are expected to know the area of a sphere and cone incase it comes up in a question.

Anything else?/can anyone direct me to another link from the website. Haven't yet been able to locate anything to answer my question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lou_100
Anyone know the extra bits and pieces (equations, formulae etc) we need to know for C3 (and C4).

So, for example, we are expected to know the area of a sphere and cone incase it comes up in a question.

Anything else?/can anyone direct me to another link from the website. Haven't yet been able to locate anything to answer my question.

Good to know:
cos(x)=cos(x) andsin(x)=sin(x)\cos(x) = cos(-x) \mathrm{ \ and} \sin(-x) = -\sin(x)
Reply 2
Original post by lou_100

this diagram helps to remember the differential and integral of sinx, cosx, -sinx and -cosx (useful for both C3 and C4).
Identities (used when integrating C4): sin2x=12(cos2x1)sin^2x=\frac{-1}{2}(cos2x-1), cos2x=12(cos2x+1)cos^2x= \frac{1}{2}(cos2x+1),
cos4x=2cos22x1cos4x=2cos^22x-1 and also cos4x=12sin22xcos4x = 1-2sin^22x
and you also need to know how the double angle formulae is derived from addition formulae and sin2+cos2=1sin^2 +cos^2=1 (C3).
(edited 11 years ago)
How to sketch y=ln(4-2x)

Asymptote is when 4-2x=0
Crosses the x axis when 4-2x=1

And another thing:
If you want to draw inverse function graphs
1. Draw two lines as axes without labelling.
2. Sketch the graph of the function to be inversed using a pencil.
3. Make the east axis face your north.
4. Label the axes. Vertical is y horizontal is x
5. Reflect over the y axis
6. There's your inverse graphs

Practice this method with a few exampled. Like y=e^x to y=lnx, y=sinx to y=arcsinx

* I discovered this method for myself. Might not be reliable.:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks both of you, I'll write them down in my revision notes.
However, they seem to refer to shortcuts that "help" answering questions, not necessarily equations you have to know otherwise you can't even begin to answer the question (like the area of sphere/cone).

It was more that kind of thing I was searching for.
Reply 5
Original post by lou_100
However, they seem to refer to shortcuts that "help" answering questions, not necessarily equations you have to know otherwise you can't even begin to answer the question (like the area of sphere/cone).

I'm fairly confident these things don't come up in C3/4 :smile:
Original post by joostan
I'm fairly confident these things don't come up in C3/4 :smile:

The area and volume equations come up in terms of connected rates of change...
Reply 7
Original post by lou_100

I'm not sure about C3 but for C4 it is useful to know area and volume of sphere, cone, cube, cuboid and cylinder.
Reply 8
Original post by reubenkinara
The area and volume equations come up in terms of connected rates of change...

I've seen one where the volume was in a differential equation but never one where you've needed to recall that volume of a cylinder = πr2h\pi r^2 h or anything like that . . . But just for general maths it's nice to know these things :smile:
Original post by joostan
I've seen one where the volume was in a differential equation but never one where you've needed to recall that volume of a cylinder = πr2h\pi r^2 h or anything like that . . . But just for general maths it's nice to know these things :smile:

Ah. Perhaps we've seen different questions.
I've regularly seen questions where it says that the the height is expanding at
Unparseable latex formula:

xhms^-^1

and it asks to find dVdt or dAdt\dfrac{dV}{dt}\ or \ \dfrac{dA}{dt}
Reply 10
Original post by reubenkinara
Ah. Perhaps we've seen different questions.
I've regularly seen questions where it says that the the height is expanding at
Unparseable latex formula:

xhms^-^1

and it asks to find dVdt or dAdt\dfrac{dV}{dt}\ or \ \dfrac{dA}{dt}

Hm, it doesn't really matter either way it's nice to know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest