The Student Room Group

AS Further Maths vs AS Economics.

Hi :-). In short, for a joint degree in History/Geography and Economics at a top uni what would be more preferable, in addition to A level Maths, History and Geography:
AS Further Maths
AS Economics
A level Clas Civ (AS started this year.)
Im in year 12.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500
Reply 1
I was in a similar position to you last year, I did Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History last year then decided to apply for History and Economics. I spoke to lots of people and the general consensus is that AS Further Maths is more useful than AS Economics. This is because top unis prefer mathmatical ability and also apparently AS Economics is quite different to the degree and oversimplified.

I now do Maths, Chemistry and History with AS Further Maths, but my offer does not include further maths. So I think it may have given me a slight competitive advantage, but to be honest you would probably be fine just doing Maths, History and Geography. Trust me 4 subjects is a lot of work and you really have to love doing them to keep it up.
Reply 2
If you want a challenge then try AS FM. AS Economics is the most exciting, either...
Reply 3
Original post by ledsgo
I was in a similar position to you last year, I did Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History last year then decided to apply for History and Economics. I spoke to lots of people and the general consensus is that AS Further Maths is more useful than AS Economics. This is because top unis prefer mathmatical ability and also apparently AS Economics is quite different to the degree and oversimplified.

I now do Maths, Chemistry and History with AS Further Maths, but my offer does not include further maths. So I think it may have given me a slight competitive advantage, but to be honest you would probably be fine just doing Maths, History and Geography. Trust me 4 subjects is a lot of work and you really have to love doing them to keep it up.

Oh ok Thank you! Yeh that seems logical.

Reply 4
I would do AS Further Maths, it will give you a significant advantage once you start studying economics at degree level because you will not be learning new maths but simply applying it.
Reply 5
Bump

Reply 6
For economics, definitely AS Further Maths.
Reply 7
AS Further Maths will be more useful for economics, and is definitely more fun than AS Economics. The only problem is that you are trying to do a degree in Economics, without taking Economics when you could. Which could suggest to a uni that you're not that interested in it, although most don't require you to have it. On the other hand, that could be an advantage to taking further maths, as dropping economics at AS and then applying for a degree in it could seem even worse than not taking it at all.
Reply 8
Original post by Matt:)
AS Further Maths will be more useful for economics, and is definitely more fun than AS Economics. The only problem is that you are trying to do a degree in Economics, without taking Economics when you could. Which could suggest to a uni that you're not that interested in it, although most don't require you to have it. On the other hand, that could be an advantage to taking further maths, as dropping economics at AS and then applying for a degree in it could seem even worse than not taking it at all.

Yeh that pretty much is dilema. I am going to ask some admissions tutors. Do you think it is less of a concern as its a joint degree? At some I may apply with Geography or History as the major and Economics as the minor.

Reply 9
Original post by GAB
Yeh that pretty much is dilema. I am going to ask some admissions tutors. Do you think it is less of a concern as its a joint degree? At some I may apply with Geography or History as the major and Economics as the minor.

I wouldn't have thought it's a huge concern, just something that may be worth keeping in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending