The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Hows Salford?

Hi, I soon need to firm an offer in UCAS, and I currently hold an offer from Salford, Business Economics. I have never been to Salford, so I would like to ask, hows Salford University like? Hows the place and life there?:confused: Heard that is quite dangerous there..:s-smilie: Thanks!
Reply 1
Don't want to come across as rude, but why the hell did you apply to the place if you've never visited? If you get in you're spending 3 maybe 4 years of your life there.

It's got a dodgy reputation, both the uni and the area, but it's by no means as bad as people wish to make it out to be. It's no more dangerous than any other big city and the life, both student and 'generally' is what you make it.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
The University is good, can't speak for business studies, and the area around isn't as bad as it seems... Look elsewhere for student accommodation, heard some pretty bad reviews of it from friends, and don't walk around late at night. Apart from that, it's a pretty good University to be at!

But for future reference, ALWAYS visit the University before you firm a choice, I visited Salford four times, and Huddersfield five before making my decisions!
Reply 3
I've been at Salford for two years now and I love it here. The university's good, and whilst I can't speak for the Business department, my lecturers have all been fantastic (the Physics department is actually ranked 2nd in the UK for contact hours per week).

As for the area -- yeah, it's got a pretty bad reputation, but as long as you're careful you'll be fine. And by 'careful' I mean not wandering around on your own at night etc. I've never had any trouble myself, and neither have any of my friends, but I know of a few people who've had stuff stolen from them.

The university accommodation is good and right near the uni itself, so if you're staying there you'll be fine. It's only really when you rent a house that you need to be more careful.

tl;dr it's no more dangerous than any other city. you'll have the same experience in london or brummy too.
Reply 4
Original post by suetayu
Hi, I soon need to firm an offer in UCAS, and I currently hold an offer from Salford, Business Economics. I have never been to Salford, so I would like to ask, hows Salford University like? Hows the place and life there?:confused: Heard that is quite dangerous there..:s-smilie: Thanks!

Hey. Are you doing Business Economics (Hons) then this year at Salford University??
Reply 5
Hi Can I ask people at Salford? I`ve been hearing really bad things about the University,including reading online articles about dodgy staff members, industrial action, and now, it seems lots of courses set to close. I get the impression from students there that they really like it, but if my son applies to Uni in 2 years time,i`m wondering if it might be better to just avoid applying to Salford altogether. What do people think,honestly?
Reply 6
The university itself seems very good (I've only just started) as for the area its not great... But I've come back from the Manchester City centre late quite a few times and never had any problems at all it doesn't feel dangerous.

I would honestly say get accommodation in Manchester city centre though its much better than Salford and a return ticket to Salford crescent which takes you right to the uni is only 1.70, if you do want to stay here though avoid Castle Irwell its absolute crap, they're planning on building a new accommodation site in 2015 so they're basically maintaining Castle Irwell to a minimum.
Welcome to the Ghetto bayaby!
Original post by markova21
Hi Can I ask people at Salford? I`ve been hearing really bad things about the University,including reading online articles about dodgy staff members, industrial action, and now, it seems lots of courses set to close. I get the impression from students there that they really like it, but if my son applies to Uni in 2 years time,i`m wondering if it might be better to just avoid applying to Salford altogether. What do people think,honestly?

Let your son decide fgs

Bounce
Original post by markova21

If he's applying in two years... tell him to work hard and apply somewhere better. No offence to anyone.
Original post by BonnieParker
Let your son decide fgs

The only reason is because we are from Manchester originally,although we moved to N.Ireland when he was 2. But we have relatives there, and I thought it would be a good experience for him being so far away. But it`s entirely his choice.He might not even want to go to uni when he`s 18.It`s entirely up to him.
Reply 11
Salford now claims to be in Manchester, according to their radio ads.

It is very handy, only over the river, for all the Manc nightlife.
A cheap alternative, certainly.
Original post by BigMelz

There are 10 Boroughs which make up Greater Manchester,the City of Salford being one of them. They are; Bolton, Bury, City of Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, City of Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford,and Wigan.
Reply 13
Original post by BigMelz

Salford university - specifically, it's accommodation - is closer to Manchester city centre than Manchester University accommodation is.

Salford claims to be within Greater Manchester. Because it is. And has said as much for at least 8yrs.
Hi there, if you are considering moving to Salford then the place you decide to stay is crucial. Salford itself is a nice city, but like anywhere else in the world it has its less desirable areas. the student accommodation on offer by the university is good, especially for first year students, but for couples and families it does not have (in my opinion) suitable accommodation. You need to find somewhere close and secure to minimise your expenses, somewhere on the free buss route, Ideally with onsite staff to help you, after all, you are here to study not worry about utilities and problems with your property, also it would be nice to feel part of a community?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending