The Student Room Group

Amsterdam, is it worth it? Should I go?

I'm looking to go as my friends have offered me a place and it is relatively cheap at £140 for accommodation and flight. My only concern is how much is alcohol? I'm more of a drinker than a weed man myself, and hopefully I don't want to bankrupt come the end of the trip. Not too bothered about the Red Light District, seems like an interesting place to go just to see and experience but I'm not interested in paying for sex or anything like that. What would people recommend seeing and doing? Definitely want to go the Anne Frank house and possibly the Heineken factory, anything else worth seeing? What is it like eating out over there, average prices for a meal? Anything I have to try?

Still debating about whether to go seeing as they have given me such short notice, going at the end of may. What would be the daily budget do you reckon? I'm quite interested in the bizzare, kitsch and whacky so hopefully I'll enjoy it but I have heard a lot of mixed stuff about the place from it being a lovely cultured city to a seedy tourist trap. Any advice or knowledge from people who have visited the city will be much appreciated.
Original post by Swanbow
I'm looking to go as my friends have offered me a place and it is relatively cheap at £140 for accommodation and flight. My only concern is how much is alcohol? I'm more of a drinker than a weed man myself, and hopefully I don't want to bankrupt come the end of the trip. Not too bothered about the Red Light District, seems like an interesting place to go just to see and experience but I'm not interested in paying for sex or anything like that. What would people recommend seeing and doing? Definitely want to go the Anne Frank house and possibly the Heineken factory, anything else worth seeing? What is it like eating out over there, average prices for a meal? Anything I have to try?

Still debating about whether to go seeing as they have given me such short notice, going at the end of may. What would be the daily budget do you reckon? I'm quite interested in the bizzare, kitsch and whacky so hopefully I'll enjoy it but I have heard a lot of mixed stuff about the place from it being a lovely cultured city to a seedy tourist trap. Any advice or knowledge from people who have visited the city will be much appreciated.

I went last September, Alcohol is expensive! I think there are a few places where you can find Heineken for about €3 but you'll most pay that price for a half. One bar charged me and my friends €8 a pint! Ouch.

You should definitely visit the RLD whilst you're there. I didn't pay for sex whilst I was out but it was still an experience anyway, very different to anything you've seen before.

It depends how much you're into museums but I definitely recommend Rijskmuseum and Rembrandt art gallery and the only way to get around the city is by bike! Google getting an Iamsterdam card. It'll save you a ton of money on all the attractions, bike rental and food and drink in some bars/restaurants.

All I can say is that it's such a beautiful classy city with a lot of character. Enjoy yourself! I'm going back next month :smile:
Reply 2
Well worth going spent a week there a few years back and i'm returning for a long weekend this summer. The night life is great but it can be expensive as it's a major city, this said if you have your wits about you, you can find some good deals.

The RLD is a hub of activity even if you aren't after paying for sex, bars, coffee shops, smart shops etc and as said it's a real experience. As it happens out hotel was right on the edge of the RLD.

There's plenty to do over and above what a lot of people think, it's a stunning city that unsurprisingly has a real laid back atmosphere. There are some weird and wonderful (or not so depending on taste) things going on and it could be a real eye opener.

MY one bit of advice is personally, avoid the Anne frank house unless it really interests you... the que to get in was huge and i found the whole thing a little dull. Maybe that makes me an uncultured moron but it's just how i felt.

If it's a nice hot day rent your self a pedal boat, grab a 4 pack of beers and if you smoke a little bit of weed and have a very pleasant ride around the canals. Great fun!

Enjoy!
Great City, awesome nightlife-loads to do. Advise in addition to the things mentioned a canal boat ride and perhaps the open bus tour.

Alcohol is generally expensive in the clubs and bars- but plenty of pre-drinking solves that to a large degree.
Reply 4
Waste of time going to Amsterdam to drink. It's ridiculously overpriced and with the pound as weak as it is, you'll be paying around 7-8 quid per pint. I bought a mars bar and two cans of coke in a city centre corner shop and it was 12 euros. You'd do better to sample the herbs mon
It's absolutely worth it but your money won't last very long if you're not careful. Last time I went I comfortably spent £1k over four days. Alcohol is expensive and other 'attractions' will cause your money to disappear rather quickly.
Reply 6
Alcohol is expensive, as it tends to be in western European countries but if you shop at a supermarket and drink before you go out you'll be fine.

Amsterdam was not how I'd imagined it and I would definitely recommend it to all kinds of people, from family holidays to the more typical Amsterdam visitor stereotype. It is a really great city to explore and walk about in so you'll find all the weird kitchy stuff absolutely everywhere. Loads of people have strange little displays of kooky ornaments in their windows! The flea market is fun too.

GO TO ANNE FRANK'S HOUSE EARLY! We did and only had to queue about 15 mins. It was definitely worth it, but I wouldn't waste hours waiting when you could be doing something elsewhere. Also the Van Gogh Museum if you're into painting and the Heineken Experience is fun.

For some reason there are (literally) hundreds of Argentinian steak restaurants and italian places. I have now idea why they seem so popular but you'll be able to eat in most of them for 10-15e. After a night out go to Chipsy King for chips with satay sauce - they were so good!! Otherwise you'll find plenty of wee restaurants off the beaten track which will serve more traditional things like sandwiches and salads.

I'd love to go back and explore a little better. I went with a group of friends who wanted to go shopping all the time!
Yes its amazing!! :h: I went there for the first time 2 weeks ago (for Queens Day) with my friends and we all absolutely loved it. Amsterdam is a beautiful place :biggrin: Only downside was the price of alcohol (cost me around €8 for vodka and coke but if you do drink then I wouldn't let that put you off (as you can always buy it in duty free). I would definitely go back. I'd also totally recommend going on Kings Day (27th April as of next year) as the atmosphere is fantastic.
Reply 8
The centre of any capital city is expensive.

If you go further out on a tram you'll find bars and restaurants are a lot cheaper. Also take a trip on a free ferry to North Amsterdam which is the new cool quirky (slightly hipster) places. I think it'd be right up your street if you're after quirky! Plus tourists haven't caught onto this place really as you can tell by the fact no ones mentioned it.

Also if you don't want to smoke weed because you're worried about being tired etc. talk with the staff in the coffeeshops. Tell them you don't want to be left in a melting mess in the corner and you want something a little more energetic. They should be able to help you out.
Reply 9
Original post by Swanbow
I'm looking to go as my friends have offered me a place and it is relatively cheap at £140 for accommodation and flight. .

£140 that's pretty cheap I found £260 for 3nights and return flight ..

Where did you find that kind of price ?
Reply 10
Original post by Rainbowl
£140 that's pretty cheap I found £260 for 3nights and return flight ..

Where did you find that kind of price ?

It's all been booked now and it works out to around £190 for 4 nights and return flight, which is still pretty decent. Ermm we are staying at Amigo Hostel and flying by Easyget.
Original post by Swanbow

I think everyone who enjoys smoking bud should go there once, to experience the culture of the people who own the cafe's some of the locals that go their too. Also the bud is noticeably better, unless you already have some awesome uk dealer. They also legally sell a few deviants of magic mushrooms in their headshops, have a research on them before you go if you haven't tried them already. Personally I would definitely recommend them, but each person has to make their own choice.
The redlight district is cool, you should definitely take a look, if even you don't want to do anything. It is obviously quite seedy though.

In short, yh it is a great experience for some people. Not really sure how much I've helped there lol
Reply 12
go and fire up some dank nugs my friend
Reply 13
try some amnesia haze if you can
Definitely! Been there a few times for long weekends, absolutely beautiful city with lots to do! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Swanbow
It's all been booked now and it works out to around £190 for 4 nights and return flight, which is still pretty decent. Ermm we are staying at Amigo Hostel and flying by Easyget.

Nice we decided to take the coach for £60 return and staying in a hostel for 3nights which is like £40 per person per night so totall for each person is £180.
Go and have breakfast at barneys coffeeshop whilst enjoying a fat J full of barneys tangerine dream!
Can go to cheaper parts, Leidseplein isn't too expensive, maybe 10 mins walk from the centre, when we went there were quite a few €5 for a pizza restaurants that were pretty nice. There's a sports bar that does 10 Jagers for €10 and 4 Heinekens for €11.50, which isn't too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest