The Student Room Group

Living and studying in UK or US. Which is better choice??

Reply 1
UK, because uk the best country in the world.
Reply 2
uk best country.
Reply 3
usa IMO
To be honest .... The USA is better by far , unless you are going to Oxbridge; otherwise the USA is better , and here is the "Why-so" list:

1- Better Unis. [ British Unis are degree mills ]
2- Higher admission standards
3- Cheaper [Cheaper accommodation , cheaper living expenses ...etc]
The only downside is the duration of most masters courses [ usually takes 2 years to finish]
I can't say anything about studying but I lived in Florida for 3 months last year and loved it. People were always so friendly compared to Glasgow and the shops they had were amazing. However in Florida their minimum wage was really low and I hated the tipping culture and if you can't drive you're a bit buggered .
Reply 6
UK education system is better.
Reply 7
Uk education system is the best! London is also a fabulous city.
The weather in the UK is pretty annoying IMO :frown:
The US is probably better.

Ask any person from the UK about the positives about their own country and they'll start arguing about how there's no such thing as native culture or there's absolutely nothing good about the place. Just stay away, it's a lot more positive in the United States. Nicer climate too!
Reply 10
Original post by Lizzy_Flower
The weather in the UK is pretty annoying IMO :frown:

So's the weather in the US. In the UK we don't get the massive snowstorms they have in the US, or the heatwaves, or the hurricanes, or the earthquakes...
Reply 11
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Nicer climate too!

Debatable.
Reply 12
I am currently a student here in the United States, in Boston, MA, specifically and I urge you to NOT come to the States:

- if you know EXACTLY what you want to do.
- if you cannot stand ignorance
- if you have done the IB and A Levels
- if you are very independent and want a good challenge
- you want to get work done
- you want to develop yourself as a whole without people telling you what to do

You probably should come to the States if:
- you want to do nothing but party and drink your first year away
- you want to be spoonfed information
- you want other people to make decisions for you
- you want to learn only about the States and within the States. Unless you do a course that's specifically international, you're going to be learning about American history and American law.

I did the IB, know exactly what I want to do and applied to both UK and US universities. I got into what was claimed to be the Number 1 Entrepreneurship school in the world. My parents wanted me there for the brand, so I went. And it was the biggest mistake of my life. I was re-doing Year 10 and Year 11, because the British syllabus is a lot more advanced than the US one. I thought it might have just been my university but after talking to other friends across the States who are also in US universities, they said they are experiencing the exact same thing.

The first year of university in the States is very general, basic knowledge.
The professors here practise spoon-feeding and assume you know nothing because you're still a child.
Your homework will consist of "reflections", "how you felt about the assignment". They're very big on feelings here. Very sensitive.
Administration can be unprofessional. If they don't like you, they're not going to help you. You would have to kiss arse a lot.

Everything you see in the movies, how they party, drink and talk, is the exact same. Mine is not like American Pie but I'm sure there are universities that are the exact same.

if you are going to apply to a US university, and a UK university, the best advice is to really visit the school and talk to current students there. Ask them for their honest opinion, what they're happy / unhappy with. Then form your own conclusion from all that because US universities tend to glamourise and really exaggerate about the school and how good they are.

Always take everything anyone says with a pinch of salt.

I will be leaving and starting uni back in the UK. My US experience was terrible, but now I'm happy cause I'm getting to do what I want to do. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by HandsomeHunter
To be honest .... The USA is better by far , unless you are going to Oxbridge; otherwise the USA is better , and here is the "Why-so" list:

1- Better Unis. [ British Unis are degree mills ]
2- Higher admission standards
3- Cheaper [Cheaper accommodation , cheaper living expenses ...etc]
The only downside is the duration of most masters courses [ usually takes 2 years to finish]

1. Debatable.
2. Why is that at all better for an applicant.
3. Completely dwarfed by the huge tuition fees.
Reply 14
Original post by Acruzen
1. Debatable.
2. Why is that at all better for an applicant.
3. Completely dwarfed by the huge tuition fees.

Yes... I am paying 5x more the money in the US than I would pay in the UK. The UK is much cheaper.
UK offers better education. uS has the useless liberal arts system
Original post by Kartikeya juneja
UK offers better education. uS has the useless liberal arts system

Wrong! The US legal education system is far more superior than the UK. Take it from someone who has experienced both. LLB in the UK and LLM in the US. The Socratic method of teaching is key. It teaches you how to think on your feet and outside-the-box.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending