The Student Room Group

English Combined help!

Hi!

I've done three pieces of my coursework now to a good level, they've been marked and they're all an A grade, however I'm sturggling a bit with my last piece. I'm in my AS year and I've done my monlogue, the commentary for that, my text for a reading audience and now I'm struggling with the completion of the commentary for that piece. Has anyone got any tips at all they could give me, it'd be appreciated!

Hope you're all having a nice day :-)
Reply 1
From what I learned from doing mine, if you got a good grade on your first commentary, use the same format for the second, but obviously with different examples and terms.

Particularly for the reading piece, my teacher always taught us to use the PEE chain:

- Point - Make a point about your use of language/features. (e.g. I used adjectives within the semantic field of uncleanliness.)

- Evidence - Use a quote from your work to back it up. (e.g. Such as "dirtied".)

- Explain - Explain the effect of using it. (e.g. This creates a sense of an unclean environment, both morally and physically, forcing the reader to question the state of their own world.)

The examples aren't particularly great there, I apologise, but I hope you get the idea. Also, it's pretty vital to make reference to influences to, for example: "This was a technique I first observed in Cormac McCarthy’s The Road". For Language & Literature combined, my teacher always said it's good to have a mix of films and books as your influences.

Hope this has helped. If this isn't your course, ignore me. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending