The Student Room Group

University of Birmingham Nursing Firmers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leanora
Hiya

There is a facebook page for birmingham nursing students but do not think there is one for our year specifically i was wondering what u guys would think if i made one and we all liked it. I guess it would be easier to talk on there and make contacts on there too. If nobody get backs to me about there already been one and noone objects i will male one any ideas on what we should call our page.

Thanks for the reading list but i do not think i will be rushing to buy books yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I was thinking!! Yeah defo create one :biggrin: xx
Hey, should the reading list of come in our welcome pack?? :s-smilie:
Original post by KatieRiley1994
Hey, should the reading list of come in our welcome pack?? :s-smilie:

Yeah it does. :smile:

The Facebook group sounds like an awesome idea! I'd love to join! :biggrin:
Hi, I too will be starting with you at UOB in October :smile:. I think a facebook group is a fantastic idea :smile:. I am hoping to make it to the get together next Thursday (dependant on babysitters!). Be great to meet you all :smile:.

As for the welcome packs etc I haven't received anything at all, no emails or post :frown:. Hopefully this week the postman will drop my future through my letterbox :smile: xx
Reply 84
Hey guys.. :smile: cannot believe it is nearly time to start college, looking forward to it!

I got an email from UCAS on behalf of the Royal College of Nursing and becoming a member.. did anyone else receive this email and if so are you/are you not joining and your reasons why?

I will be the ultimate college student and be broke for the most of the time as I am moving over permanently so I want to know is it worth it?

here is the link http://links.email.ucasmedia.com/servlet/MailView?ms=NTY5MjM2MAS2&r=NDkwNzU0MzU4OTUS1&j=MzMzOTAyMDkxS0&mt=1&rt=0

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
I want to be at this uni on this course next year! Can you guys let me know what type of things you wrote on your personal statement? Did you having clinical experience beforehand? And did you have to get the immunisations yourself eg the hep b ones or does the uni have its own health department that does them? If not, how much does the vaccine cost and how many do you need to do over what period of time? And finally, when applying for NHS bursary, did you have a passport and birth certificate? If you don't have a passport (I don't have one!) what do we do? Was anyone in this position where they didn't have the right documents? Please please reply! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by needsomeadvice12
I want to be at this uni on this course next year! Can you guys let me know what type of things you wrote on your personal statement? Did you having clinical experience beforehand? And did you have to get the immunisations yourself eg the hep b ones or does the uni have its own health department that does them? If not, how much does the vaccine cost and how many do you need to do over what period of time? And finally, when applying for NHS bursary, did you have a passport and birth certificate? If you don't have a passport (I don't have one!) what do we do? Was anyone in this position where they didn't have the right documents? Please please reply! :smile:

I can try and help you out with some. If that's ok :smile:

For the personal statement, you don't need clinical experience. Tbh I have none. What does help loads is if you have any type of employment perhaps. Or some type of dedicated work experience. From what I could guess, what they are. Most interested in, is what have these experiences given you, that you will carryover into a health profession. Does that jibberish make any sense lol?

With the immunisations, yes you need to organise those yourself. It's not just Hep B you need to double check. Usually though your GP should be able to do most for you. Personally, my GP did them for free, because I needed them for professional reasons, I did go out of my way though to explain this to them though first, that I'm gonna be a student nurse. Just see what they say. There was only one time I had to go somewhere else but my GP. I don't know about anywhere else, but the BOOTS in my area has a NHS centre, which helped out loads. I think if you see them independently you have to pay, but I was redirected to them by my GP, do I was free. Just have a chat with your GP.

As for the NHS bursary I have no idea, I didn't qualify. Hope all that nonsense kinda helped! :smile:
Original post by SummerBunny
I can try and help you out with some.

For the personal statement, you don't need clinical experience. Tbh I have none. What does help loads is if you have any type of employment perhaps. Or some type of dedicated work experience. From what I could guess, what they are. Most interested in, is what have these experiences given you, that you will carryover into a health profession. Does that jibberish make any sense lol?
yes you need to organise those yourself. It's not just Hep B you need to double check. Usually though your GP should be able to do most for you. Personally, my GP did them for free, because I needed them for professional reasons, I did go out of my way though to explain this to them though first, that I'm gonna be a student nurse. Just see what they say. There was only one time I had to go somewhere else but my GP. I don't know about anywhere else, but the BOOTS in my area has a NHS centre, which helped out loads. I think if you see them independently you have to pay, but I was redirected to them by my GP, do I was free. Just have a chat with your GP.
As for the NHS bursary I have no idea, I didn't qualify. Hope all that nonsense kinda helped!

Thank you, that really helps! What type of employment did you have may i ask? And why didn't you qualify for NHS bursary?
Reply 88

Hi, SummerBunny is right about not having to worry about clinical experience because I didn't (if you're talking about working in a hospital). I think it's really important though to have transferable skills such as working at a charity hospice, clubs, elderly care home or any paid employment. And then maybe talk about the skills you have learnt from xyz and how these will be an asset to nursing. At this particular uni you had to get the immunisation yourself and had to pay over £100 at my gp just to get hep b (hopefully they may reimburse the costs :tongue:). Regarding the nhs bursary I think I sent both off but I honestly don't remember. I think they gave a list of things to send off. Don't worry though you still got ages left until you apply for the nhs bursary (applications start around June time and ends around August).:yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you, that really helps! What type of employment did you have may i ask? And why didn't you qualify for NHS bursary?

Im happy it kinda heled. :smile:

Its not glamorous but I've been a career waitress. So as you can see no, proper care work. Even though I've been a family carer.

I didn't qualify, because I'm a European national. :smile:
Reply 90
Hello Everyone. I will be joining you at University of Birmingham also. Had a interview yesterday and was successful.:smile: I think it is a great idea if a facebook page is made so we can get to know each other a little bit. Looking forward to meet everyone. :biggrin:
Hii everyone! Are people still going to The Sun on the Hill tonight? I'll be trying to make it :biggrin:
Thanks guys. Is there mainly mature students or school leavers on this course?
Original post by Sadz95
Hello Everyone. I will be joining you at University of Birmingham also. Had a interview yesterday and was successful.:smile: I think it is a great idea if a facebook page is made so we can get to know each other a little bit. Looking forward to meet everyone. :biggrin:

Have you got in for the 2013 intake or 2014 intake?
Reply 94
Have you got in for the 2013 intake or 2014 intake?

I got in for the 2013 intake
Just found this age. Is anybody else starting Nursing at University of Birmingham on Monday the 23rd Sept? Anybody got any idea what the timetable will be like for the first semester, also do we meet at all before Monday 23rd, I saw the weekend before there were some events for students staying local, mature students and students with children. I think I will go along. Excited and nervous! Ellie
Hi Ellie! A couple of us are meeting at the mature students event on the 22nd and we are chatting on Facebook/whatsapp!! Feel free to add me :smile: I'm Laurie Anton! This goes for everybody! The more the merrier :smile: xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Laurie that is great I will do that!

I saw there were some events the weekend before for students who live local, mature students, students with children I qualify as all three lol! I will come along. Will be great to meet people. Nervous now but very ready to start!

Ellie
Is there a meet up on the 22nd? :smile:
Hi guys, is there anything else important in the welcome pack apart from the reading list and timetable? Mines been sent to the wrong address and no-one is answering my calls/FB messages/e-mails :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending